Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a balance shaft bearing let go last weekend, cases are ok but it broke the gear on the crank.

Looking for best/cheepest route to getting back to gether.

any help/suggestions greatly appreciated

·
Registered
353 Posts
The only thing you can save money on is to get a good used gear for the crank. The crank work, leave it to the pro's!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Probably would be wise to rebuild the entire motor from bottom up to eliminate any future problems or expenses. At that many miles your pistons are likely due if they havent already been done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still not sure of the route going to take, but am looking into a couple of different options...

There are a few local ZRT 800 around here, have hered a lot about putting 1000 top end on them with a shim kit.. where do you get this and also are there different size piston pins???

thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
still not sure of the route going to take, but am looking into a couple of different options...

There are a few local ZRT 800 around here, have hered a lot about putting 1000 top end on them with a shim kit.. where do you get this and also are there different size piston pins???

thanks[/b]
I did that last year. I had a zrt 800 -97, that siezed on one cylinder due to water in the carb. I bought used T-C 1000 cylinders and heads and slapped it on my bottom end.

I used zr 700 pistons, they have the right bore, and pin size. There are different sizes of pins, the T-C uses 22mm pins and the zrt 800 uses 20mm. This will make it a 1004cc.

I believe that D&D sells the shim-kit, but I made my own, using the gaskets as a template, It was pretty easy, and didn´t take to long either. I don´t remember the thickness of the shim tough.

Mine runs great (besides some clutching issues), and is really strong. I hope to get some pipes in the future, i´m running stock pipes now, but still runs great.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I did that last year. I had a zrt 800 -97, that siezed on one cylinder due to water in the carb. I bought used T-C 1000 cylinders and heads and slapped it on my bottom end.

I used zr 700 pistons, they have the right bore, and pin size. There are different sizes of pins, the T-C uses 22mm pins and the zrt 800 uses 20mm. This will make it a 1004cc.

I believe that D&D sells the shim-kit, but I made my own, using the gaskets as a template, It was pretty easy, and didn´t take to long either. I don´t remember the thickness of the shim tough.

Mine runs great (besides some clutching issues), and is really strong. I hope to get some pipes in the future, i´m running stock pipes now, but still runs great.[/b]
What kinda of jetting change would you have to do to get this 1004 to work correctly, sounds like a easy mod.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Mine runs great (besides some clutching issues), and is really strong. I hope to get some pipes in the future, i´m running stock pipes now, but still runs great.[/b]
some guys just double up the base gaskets.... = .040 thou..... use cat gaskets only....

BM....

·
Registered
77 Posts
What kinda of jetting change would you have to do to get this 1004 to work correctly, sounds like a easy mod.[/b]
I changed the mains to 470 (mikuni round slide), And it seems to work fine, still have some fine tuning to do, could probably drop them one size more, but i´ll like to run on the safe side.

Also, double basegaskets won´t be enough ( I think, but don´t know for certain). I have double basegaskets, and an alu-shim about 1,5 or 1,75mm thick. When I made them I was told that the shim should be 1,75 or 2,0mm thick, or the comp would be to high.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I changed the mains to 470 (mikuni round slide), And it seems to work fine, still have some fine tuning to do, could probably drop them one size more, but i´ll like to run on the safe side.

Also, double basegaskets won´t be enough ( I think, but don´t know for certain). I have double basegaskets, and an alu-shim about 1,5 or 1,75mm thick. When I made them I was told that the shim should be 1,75 or 2,0mm thick, or the comp would be to high.[/b]

thanks all for the info-

Stormcrow, the 1.75/2 mm shim seems a lil thick along with the gaskets, if i remember correctly there was onle .5 mm difference in stroke..... were you using the stock 1000 heads?

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks all for the info-

Stormcrow, the 1.75/2 mm shim seems a lil thick along with the gaskets, if i remember correctly there was onle .5 mm difference in stroke..... were you using the stock 1000 heads?[/b]
You are both right and wrong. The difference in stroke between zrt 800 (65mm) and T-C 1000 (64,6) is .4mm, but the pistons I used is from a zr 700, and that has a 68mm stroke. The zr 700 pistons is 2mm higher, and thats why you´ll have to use a shim. The other reason for using a shim, is to get the ports in the cylinder at the right height, or they would be 2mm low.

The shim should be 2mm thick. I made it 1.75mm thick, because I use double base gaskets (one on each side of the shim), and because I wanted a little higher compression.

I don´t know if I got the desired effect out of this, as I haven´t tested the compression yet, but in my mind it should be like shaving .25mm of the heads. I might be wrong here though, because I don´t know if the 2mm shim is calculated using one or two gaskets.

Oh, and yes, I´m using stock 1000cc heads.

Btw, I took the info on this from this post on arcticchat: Post on building a 1004cc

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can some one tell me the difference in the ZR 700 pistons and the Wildcat 700 pistons. Some say they are the same, but arctic cat has different part numbers for them and the price is quite a difference....

thanks
Kitty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can some one tell me the difference in the ZR 700 pistons and the Wildcat 700 pistons. Some say they are the same, but arctic cat has different part numbers for them and the price is quite a difference....

thanks
Kitty :thumbsup:[/b]
I did a search for a ZR 700 piston and looks like it is the same as the wildcat piston even though the part numbers are moved around.

A 94 ZR700 Same piston as a 2001 zr 700 same as the Wildcat from 95 and 96 and 93 all the same - :stirthepot: I like what I see...

Wildcat picton is about 30 dollers cheaper then the ZR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts