Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
660 kicks a$$. I am able to run 66gram weights with almond spring and pulls 8100rpm. Pulling 141 1 3/4" track I beat up on my cousins 02 xc sp 800 with new motor, geared down, and 1.5" track. My helix upshifts a little faster than I like off the bottom, so its kinda weak off the line but he is even with me for about 2 seconds lol. After 300 feet I am ahead and he doesn't ever catch up. And for you guys that will say his must not be running good, there isn't to many sleds where I live that are much faster. Nobody has extensive mods where I'm from, just gear down and some a bit of clutch work. The same goes for the 05+ renegade 800's. They don't hold up to well compared to mine either. My sled is running the stock carbs and pipe as well. Next on my list is a pipe. Not sure if I should get a carls 660 pipe or slp twins for the 600. Has anyone run a regular edge pipe in a prox and how does good does it fit? Whats all required to put one in? Remove shock tower brace?

All in all the 660 is awesome, very responsive, and you can tell it has a ton more torque than the 600. 95mph no problem with that track.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've never heard of a 660 that requires case modifications. 685's, yes.[/b]
If you're making a 660 out of a 440 case, then they have to be machined...both deck height and to clear the bigger pistons. SLP does case clearance even on the 600s turned 660...not required, but a little safer.

Fenz-I am like these other guys...Not sold on CFI yet. Besides, if you have ever ridden a well tuned one, you'd understand.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm glad your having good luck with your 660 setup. I have a SLP 660 kit in a 06 600 Fusion and have not got it right yet. It will not even pull the stock 62 gram weights. Have the purple primary and blue secondary that worked good on the stock motor but will not rev past 8000 now. SLP air horn kit and 430 mains. Runs good low and midrange but falls on its face top end. Not impressed with the SLP kit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just for your info.
I run a HTG kit. team clutch spring green 140-330 and 60.4 10-60 arms
if you look at dyno tech on a 660 with bikeman pipe mod and v force power was at 8300 rps and higher. mine shifts out at 8350 to 8400 and runs much stronger than when i kept trying to run 62 grams and up arms. The 660 I have does not need to do that to be fast.
the engine is different than the 600 stock.IMO also 25,41 gearing 440 mj 89 oct fuel
Avg 11 mpg hard riding and trades wins with a 700 08 dragon on cold days at this time i am faster
as gets warmer he is. also slp dyno chart shows power at 8300 with little fall off. I would get the rpms up and go from there.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm glad your having good luck with your 660 setup. I have a SLP 660 kit in a 06 600 Fusion and have not got it right yet. It will not even pull the stock 62 gram weights. Have the purple primary and blue secondary that worked good on the stock motor but will not rev past 8000 now. SLP air horn kit and 430 mains. Runs good low and midrange but falls on its face top end. Not impressed with the SLP kit.[/b]
What are the stock mains? I know SLP loves to overjet their stuff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the SLP 660 ves cylinders on my H.O bottom and works well. Im running 410 mains, 20 pilots and plugged air jets. SLP air horn. Bikeman pipe mod and Ultra Q can. 10-62 weights that weigh 63.0 grams. stock springs and secondary. This is the funnest sled I have ever ridden. Ski to ski with an F7 up to 85 mph. And remember this is with the OLD 600 VES cylinders. I cant imagine what the HO kit would be like.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
WHAT THE F? What was that comment for? I was simply asking, why wouldn't you just buy a larger sled if that is what you wanted? I am not going to buy a Sportsman 90 and bore it out to beat an 800. Seems Bass Ackwards if you ask me?
My 2cents,
Here's to you Retard.
for such a retarded comment.[/b]
The big bore 660 makes a lot of sense. Entry level 600's are cheap. Own it for one year and then install a 660 the next. It's a helluva lot cheaper than buying a larger sled. 660's are no doubt the most dependable big bore ever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
660 kicks a$$. I am able to run 66gram weights with almond spring and pulls 8100rpm. Pulling 141 1 3/4" track I beat up on my cousins 02 xc sp 800 with new motor, geared down, and 1.5" track. My helix upshifts a little faster than I like off the bottom, so its kinda weak off the line but he is even with me for about 2 seconds lol. After 300 feet I am ahead and he doesn't ever catch up. And for you guys that will say his must not be running good, there isn't to many sleds where I live that are much faster. Nobody has extensive mods where I'm from, just gear down and some a bit of clutch work. The same goes for the 05+ renegade 800's. They don't hold up to well compared to mine either. My sled is running the stock carbs and pipe as well. Next on my list is a pipe. Not sure if I should get a carls 660 pipe or slp twins for the 600. Has anyone run a regular edge pipe in a prox and how does good does it fit? Whats all required to put one in? Remove shock tower brace?

All in all the 660 is awesome, very responsive, and you can tell it has a ton more torque than the 600. 95mph no problem with that track.[/b]
The motor sits lower in the chassis on the Pro-x.The pipe won't be a direct fit.If it can be made to fit it will require some modification.

·
Vendor
4,563 Posts
If you're making a 660 out of a 440 case, then they have to be machined...both deck height and to clear the bigger pistons. SLP does case clearance even on the 600s turned 660...not required, but a little safer.

Fenz-I am like these other guys...Not sold on CFI yet. Besides, if you have ever ridden a well tuned one, you'd understand.[/b]
Yes, I heard it safer to take about .010" off one side of the case for greater piston clearance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have an 02 edge with carls 660 in it i see the postings of 150+ hp i really dont think they put that much out maybe in the middle 130's tops i have most everthing done to mine 64 gram weights flo rights larry rugland single pipe v force reeds reed spacers team roller big air horn kit and i dont think i get that much out of it i was hoping 135 maybe but it runs really strong i can see 110 on speedo =108 on the gun geared down 23/40 on good hard packed ice combo. but it is a hell of a ride in the woods can stay even with a 03 800 xc up to 1000 feet never ran farther than that so dont know how long would have stayed even but it turns alot of heads when your right there and they cant get away from you they look a little dissapointed in theres sled i would do this kit again just to have fun with those bigger sleds up to 100 my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
i have an 02 edge with carls 660 in it i see the postings of 150+ hp i really dont think they put that much out maybe in the middle 130's tops i have most everthing done to mine 64 gram weights flo rights larry rugland single pipe v force reeds reed spacers team roller big air horn kit and i dont think i get that much out of it i was hoping 135 maybe but it runs really strong i can see 110 on speedo =108 on the gun geared down 23/40 on good hard packed ice combo. but it is a hell of a ride in the woods can stay even with a 03 800 xc up to 1000 feet never ran farther than that so dont know how long would have stayed even but it turns alot of heads when your right there and they cant get away from you they look a little dissapointed in theres sled i would do this kit again just to have fun with those bigger sleds up to 100 my 2 cents[/b]
I regularly walked well setup VES 800s with my older VES660 in my ProX. My new Fusion setup is definitely faster. Do I think it's 150hp? No, but it is definitely more than 130. They are certainly not the end all, be all motor...but my two have been more than fun.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey Guys,
Here are some more improptu race results.
Sleds:
02 xc800 (stock) rider = 180lbs stock track with 168 studs
08 700 Dragon (stock) rider = 160lbs 1.25 ripsaw
07 cfi 600 (stock) rider = 160lbs stock track with 168 studs
06 660 ho fusion mine with clutching = 64 gram and goodwin purple spring (everything else like previous, i weigh 230)
Track = no studs with stock 1 inch....not good for traction.

Temps were ~ 30 degrees on hard packed trail that was all of 1/2 mile long. We started down hill, so it gave me a little help without having studs

CFI 600 vs 660: He took me off the start (traction) but I had him by 40 mph and @ 90 I was 7 sled lengths and still pulling away

xc800 vs 660: I stayed even off the line with him and pulled ahead by 1/2 length @ 60 mph, but at ~ 95 he caught me and started to pull away very slowly

Dragon 700 vs 660: He pulls about 3 lengths off the start and then I slowly start catching him but I never was able to pass, stayed about 1 sled length behind everytime.

xc800 vs 700: Dragon would pull out 3 lengths, then the 800 would catch him by 95 to 100 mph and very slowly creep away.

I have been going back and forth with my primary setup. This weekend I had 64 gr weights and purple goodwin. It would rev to 8000-8100
Last weekend I had 62's and team red primary. It would rev 8150 - 8250...8300. Both setups are very close in performance.
I think p-nut said it, but I think the 64's are a good cold weather setup and the 62's are probably better for warmer weather. I am probably going back to the 62's just because they feel more responsive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
if your running twins maybe 150 hp but i just dont think with a single pipe you will get that much. doesnt matter they are a fun ride anyway they still pull just as hard as most erverthing down low in the trails they will pull away from alot of sleds because the power is alwasys right there where the bigger sleds need alittle time to strecht there legs by that time you are puliing away. sorry to see your selling yours.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2004 ProX 600 with V-force 3 reeds. I am thinking of doing my gearing and some clutch work this year. And maybe next year consider the 660 kit. Can you still run 87 octane in it? Or does it have to be higher? I'm just wondering just in case i can't get high octane on the trails. Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
I run 89 oct HTG 660 o6 fusion dragon

I have ended up with 22:39 gears and i turn 8300 it seems to run the best set up this way.
I am 255 pounds and have went up in gears and back down I now beat a very well set up stock 08 700 dragon we both have 1 inch tracks.
He can hit higher speeds 106 to 108 on perfect conditions but i can pull him from rolls and dead stops about 2-3 sled lengths anywere
else.

Because it runs so good and i am happy with it I am goiing to wait another year and hope they get the CFI better.

We both avg. 10 to 11 mpg riding the same?? Not sure why? I do like the Air 2.0 shocks for the ride on the 08. But it seems to make the sled a little tippy. We Ride the Tug Hill for the most part.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
All,
I had a few more impromptu races this year and also met up with edge700 to see how the 2 660's stacked up. Overall, his 660 will pull mine by about 2 sleds right off the start and that is pretty much how I THINK it would stay with equal weight riders. I am 230 and he probably has 50+ lbs and 4 inches of height on me so it is hard to gauge with the weight difference, but whatever sled the smaller man was on, was ahead. (weight). Top speed was pretty much a dead run with both sleds hitting 101-104 on the lake that day. Overall it was a great time and nice to get out and compare sleds. I ran as high of octane that I could throughout the year and sometimes that was 87 and I have had no problems. I was averaging the same gas mileage as a normal 600 .... 10-11mpg. For the money spent, it was worth it. I mostly ride with bigger cc sleds and I am ready for a CFI, but I wanted to stay Polaris and still wanted more than a 600cc has. You really don't notice any thing different than a stock 600 until you ride with one. Then it becomes very noticeable that you have a power advantage. Overall, 2300 miles and lots of fun and no problems.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
All,
I had a few more impromptu races this year and also met up with edge700 to see how the 2 660's stacked up. Overall, his 660 will pull mine by about 2 sleds right off the start and that is pretty much how I THINK it would stay with equal weight riders. I am 230 and he probably has 50+ lbs and 4 inches of height on me so it is hard to gauge with the weight difference, but whatever sled the smaller man was on, was ahead. (weight). Top speed was pretty much a dead run with both sleds hitting 101-104 on the lake that day. Overall it was a great time and nice to get out and compare sleds. I ran as high of octane that I could throughout the year and sometimes that was 87 and I have had no problems. I was averaging the same gas mileage as a normal 600 .... 10-11mpg. For the money spent, it was worth it. I mostly ride with bigger cc sleds and I am ready for a CFI, but I wanted to stay Polaris and still wanted more than a 600cc has. You really don't notice any thing different than a stock 600 until you ride with one. Then it becomes very noticeable that you have a power advantage. Overall, 2300 miles and lots of fun and no problems.[/b]

That should say "I AM NOT READY FOR CFI YET"

21 - 40 of 41 Posts