Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off,
I would like to thank some of the guys who have experimented with 660's before and all the knowledge that they have shared. AFJ, P-Nut, sr_erick, edge700, racerdave thanks for all the help. I have put on 1800 miles so far this year on my 660 kit. Initial Cost of Sled = 5800 otd, kit = 1300 bucks and I was able to keep my stock parts, so total = 7100 bucks. (not counting time)
My current setup is
Stock Carb settings with 430 mains and gutted airbox with SLP Airhorn kit. Stock 600 ho exhaust.
Last night I changed to Goodwin purple and 64gr weights ground down to 63.7 each. (still tweaking)
My slides were not clearing the bores, I noticed that about 300 miles ago. I adjusted that and I believe that is why I can finally pull the 64gr weights. RPMS are 8050 at first and pulls up to 8250...perfect as far as I am concerned (thanks AFJ/P-nut). Stock 600 ho secondary setup with 3 delrin washers.
I believe that I am getting about the same performance as an 08 700 Dragon. I ran with one for about 200 fast miles last weekend and they are very close...and the dragon rider was 50lbs lighter than me.
I am running an Ultimax 3 belt. I am just a little bit behind the 07 Apex GT (stock) and 06 turbo switchback(1 sledlength) and the one 08 nytro I rode with, I was able to beat. Things I have found with my 06 fusion that caused some headaches: Airbox is a pain in the a$$, my toe adjustment was off and the carb slides were not clearing the bores. All of these caused performance problems. Also, my rider select is loose and I had to change the throttle cable. Other adjustments that I would recommend are to add a 2 inch bar riser, bar hooks, different windsheild, and pulling up the limiter strap one hole and I am running 6 inch carbides with no studs. All helped the handling of this sled. Now, what about the final impressions and would I do a 660 kit again. Let's put it this way, no matter how you look at it, it is still a 660cc sled. But, it does perform very well for 660cc's. More like a 700-800. Now, mine will probably NOT run down any modded 800's, but it will surprise a lot of them and probably stay pretty close. Yes, I would do this kit again, but this was an exceptional year with plenty of time and snow for testing and I spent a lot of time to get this sled where it is right now. If it was a normal year where we only have a couple of weeks of riding, I might have gotten frustrated at the little things. Again, I would like to say thanks to the people who have helped.
--R254.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,644 Posts
Thanks, for the thank you. I keep resisting the urge to sell my Gen 2 660. I would stay with a oem Poo belt though myself. For me they have always gave the most consistent performance.

·
Mr. Part Time-On Line
35,159 Posts
First off,
I would like to thank some of the guys who have experimented with 660's before and all the knowledge that they have shared. AFJ, P-Nut, sr_erick, edge700, racerdave thanks for all the help. I have put on 1800 miles so far this year on my 660 kit. Initial Cost of Sled = 5800 otd, kit = 1300 bucks and I was able to keep my stock parts, so total = 7100 bucks. (not counting time)
My current setup is
Stock Carb settings with 430 mains and gutted airbox with SLP Airhorn kit. Stock 600 ho exhaust.
Last night I changed to Goodwin purple and 64gr weights ground down to 63.7 each. (still tweaking)
My slides were not clearing the bores, I noticed that about 300 miles ago. I adjusted that and I believe that is why I can finally pull the 64gr weights. RPMS are 8050 at first and pulls up to 8250...perfect as far as I am concerned (thanks AFJ/P-nut). Stock 600 ho secondary setup with 3 delrin washers.
I believe that I am getting about the same performance as an 08 700 Dragon. I ran with one for about 200 fast miles last weekend and they are very close...and the dragon rider was 50lbs lighter than me.
I am running an Ultimax 3 belt. I am just a little bit behind the 07 Apex GT (stock) and 06 turbo switchback(1 sledlength) and the one 08 nytro I rode with, I was able to beat. Things I have found with my 06 fusion that caused some headaches: Airbox is a pain in the a$$, my toe adjustment was off and the carb slides were not clearing the bores. All of these caused performance problems. Also, my rider select is loose and I had to change the throttle cable. Other adjustments that I would recommend are to add a 2 inch bar riser, bar hooks, different windsheild, and pulling up the limiter strap one hole and I am running 6 inch carbides with no studs. All helped the handling of this sled. Now, what about the final impressions and would I do a 660 kit again. Let's put it this way, no matter how you look at it, it is still a 660cc sled. But, it does perform very well for 660cc's. More like a 700-800. Now, mine will probably NOT run down any modded 800's, but it will surprise a lot of them and probably stay pretty close. Yes, I would do this kit again, but this was an exceptional year with plenty of time and snow for testing and I spent a lot of time to get this sled where it is right now. If it was a normal year where we only have a couple of weeks of riding, I might have gotten frustrated at the little things. Again, I would like to say thanks to the people who have helped.
--R254.[/b]
Hmmm 660 kit, [attachment=437935:thinking.gif] Now you have me thinking...................

·
Registered
271 Posts
according to bikeman performance, the 660 kit on the 600 ho is suppose to bring around 155hp with vforce reeds and modified single pipe. i think 155 might be a bit inflated, but what does the 700 dragon and apex have for hp numbers?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Why wouldn't you just buy a 700, 800, or even 900 Fusion/IQ?
A 600 is what it is.[/b]
Are you retarted?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I did a 660 was the fact that I am not totally sold on the fuel injection yet. Not to mention, if you can find me a new 700 dragon for 7100 ,I would probably buy it.
About the bikeman kit, remember, I don't have v-force reeds or aftermarket exhaust, so they may be getting 155hp

·
Administrator
24,548 Posts
according to bikeman performance, the 660 kit on the 600 ho is suppose to bring around 155hp with vforce reeds and modified single pipe. i think 155 might be a bit inflated, but what does the 700 dragon and apex have for hp numbers?[/b]
An independant builder out of NY state under the name of Sean Ray had Dynotech Jim dyno one of his single piped, pump fuel, 660's at 153hp.
Was it on the edge?? Yes, but 153hp out of a single piped, pump fuel 660cc engine?? Still impressive to me. :yes:

Racer254, if you don't mind me asking, who's kit are you using?? I have been wanting to 660 one of my 600 VES Poo engines
sense I had my '01 XC but I just haven't found the courage to do it yet. I am a reliablity kind of guy but man, it seems most
everyone I talk to with one of these 660 kits seems to have absolutely no reliability issues with them. Now, I find $1300-$1500
a bit spendy and I am seriously contemplateing building my own kit but just curious what everyone is running, for now. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,
I am using a kit that I found from a guy in Northern MN. I found him on this site. I wanted to keep my original stock parts and for 1300, he sent me cylinders, valves, head, pistons. I had to get my own gasket set. I thought it was a good deal since I didn't have to send out my stock parts anywhere. Unfortunately, UPS dropped the package in shipping and I had the bottom skirt of the piston and cylinder break off. I called Mark up and he understood and between the 2 of us we worked it out. I can give you his info if you would like it. I am not sure if he still does it or not.

·
Administrator
24,548 Posts
Well,
I am using a kit that I found from a guy in Northern MN. I found him on this site. I wanted to keep my original stock parts and for 1300, he sent me cylinders, valves, head, pistons. I had to get my own gasket set. I thought it was a good deal since I didn't have to send out my stock parts anywhere. Unfortunately, UPS dropped the package in shipping and I had the bottom skirt of the piston and cylinder break off. I called Mark up and he understood and between the 2 of us we worked it out. I can give you his info if you would like it. I am not sure if he still does it or not.[/b]
Thanks for the info but I am not ready to do it just yet. Still might just build my own with my own parts. That way, I know what I got. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well,
I am using a kit that I found from a guy in Northern MN. I found him on this site. I wanted to keep my original stock parts and for 1300, he sent me cylinders, valves, head, pistons. I had to get my own gasket set. I thought it was a good deal since I didn't have to send out my stock parts anywhere. Unfortunately, UPS dropped the package in shipping and I had the bottom skirt of the piston and cylinder break off. I called Mark up and he understood and between the 2 of us we worked it out. I can give you his info if you would like it. I am not sure if he still does it or not.[/b]
did you get your crankcase machined? also, wondering if you still have that guys number.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
did you get your crankcase machined? also, wondering if you still have that guys number.[/b]

thats the same thing im wondering... are you using just the stock case or what???

·
Registered
872 Posts
Are you retarted?[/b]
WHAT THE F? What was that comment for? I was simply asking, why wouldn't you just buy a larger sled if that is what you wanted? I am not going to buy a Sportsman 90 and bore it out to beat an 800. Seems Bass Ackwards if you ask me?
My 2cents,
Here's to you Retard.
for such a retarded comment.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep,
I am using the stock cases from the 06 fusion 600 HO. Fennz, I know what you mean, but I have always wanted to try a 660. Also, if polaris would make a carb 700 or 800, I would have probably bought one.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Yep,
I am using the stock cases from the 06 fusion 600 HO. Fennz, I know what you mean, but I have always wanted to try a 660. Also, if polaris would make a carb 700 or 800, I would have probably bought one.[/b]

im curious on how a stock case works in this application... More info needed... what pistons are you running???

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,644 Posts
Why wouldn't you just buy a 700, 800, or even 900 Fusion/IQ?
A 600 is what it is.[/b]
Fennsz, it's either in you or it's not. It's a good feeling to have a giant killer, sleeper, Illinois stock, call it what ever you want. You either understand or you don't, and thats not meant to be a smart azz comment.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I love taken smaller sleds and beating up on the big boys.I modify everything I have.
If i had a iq 800 I would still do the same things.Some people don't understand the gear heads,lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts