Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iqr with the 660 is only turning 7700ish...i know this motor should run at least 8200ish. Not too sure where to go, maybe 10-62 weights would be better.

40MM racked carbs with 430 Mains. Primary is 10-64's with almond/red spring. Secondary is stock 440 helix with polaris red/black spring. 440 belt. Plugs look good, and sled is nuts on the bottom end. I'm thinking its the clutching but not sure which way to go.

Any help would be awesome cause im confused!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I could be all washed up but i think you are a little fat on the MJ.

You don't say what the Altitude or Temp was but I think you could drop down just a tad and get your RPM where you need them.

The IQ Airbox doesn't like lots of fuel especially on transplant motors. I don't get it because the 600RR and the 600R will both run fair when they are fat but nothing else seems to.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom, could be the new 08 motor i suppose. I thought about leaning down to a 400-410, but when i took the pipe off there is like no suit or oil...its completely dry like it was when it was new. I finally got my EGT's working tonight so i wont be so scared to lean on it now that i can see whats going on.

Also, i heard you had a buddy with a nasty 685...if you know his clutching and gearing i wouldnt mind knowing what he was running. I'm thinking the 10-64's might be a little heavy, maybe i should try 10-62's.

Oh yea, sea level and right now its 30 degrees F. No snow here, it all melted but im going up on the hill tomorrow.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sounds like my situation, yes once i get my new pile of jets in (monday) i will be able to help out, I have very close to the same setup, and the same problems! What pipe and can you running? Jetting is probably your issue, i have been told 380's are probably be the best unless you have twins. I"m going to try some 400 and go from there! It should pull 64's no problem!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought it would pull the 64's perfectly, thats why i went with them. I thought the 430's were fat i was going to lean down but i remember when heath built the black one a month or so ago he was running 420's and he said his pulled CRAZY! I have all the jets to do whatever i want, i guess ill play with that for now.

Dyno Port single and can.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
a buddy of mine is having similar problems with his 660. he is adding flow rites cuz the airbox isnt getting enough air. he tested the theory by removing the air horn thing and just letting it breath under hood air, problems seem to be gone. he still a tad fat though. so i thinks the hood cowl isnt letting enough air into the airbox in addition to the being too fat.
my 660 pulled 64's no problem at sea level and 20 degrees and below.

·
Registered
522 Posts
so mr pro x what your basically saying is you can make more power in these iqs by running filters as apose to using the stock air box when us guys have mutans under the hood?
the reason im askin is cause i might have a similar problem.?? my sled runs fine and all but im using 56g to get 8500 out of my 730.

·
Registered
104 Posts
a buddy of mine is having similar problems with his 660. he is adding flow rites cuz the airbox isnt getting enough air. he tested the theory by removing the air horn thing and just letting it breath under hood air, problems seem to be gone. he still a tad fat though. so i thinks the hood cowl isnt letting enough air into the airbox in addition to the being too fat.
my 660 pulled 64's no problem at sea level and 20 degrees and below.[/b]
hey guys thought I would chime in, I am typing this from my wifes bedside at unity hospital, in fridley, we had our first bundle of joy, a baby girl Bella Violet, 6lbs 7oz. born 12/29/07 at 10:25
They are sleeping so I got bored, I did figure my sled out. Took the horn out and just left the air box shell in the sled and put a piece of flowrite material over the opening to test the air flow theory, I went to my 2006 cdi system that is turned up, went to 10-62's dropped the pilots to a 45 and the mains to 400 needles are stock 2006 600 ho needles. clip in 3, I need to go back to 50 pilots but I came down from 55 pilots and 430 mains, plugs actually looked good piston wash was good, it had a little bobble down low so I am going to 50 pilots, now just need to figure out some gearing but it ran great friday night, ps I am running a slp single and 40 mm miks. I will get back to you all with any info.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Congratulations Tried.

Kids are a blast. Don't blink, they will be 16 and headed out the drive way before you know it. Believe me when I say this....you will not wake up in 20 years and say "man, I spent too much time with my kids these last 20 years". Life is grand, give your kids as much time as you possible can.

Good news on your sled. One little thing you might try before going back up on the pilot. Turn the fuel screw out another 1/2 to 1 turn. With your set-up I am guessing it would run pretty good with 2 to 2.5 turns open on the fuel screw.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes congrats on the baby girl!!

I switched the mains to 400's and rode about 35 miles. I still cant turn more than 7500 RPM. I have a set of pods laying around maybe i'll throw them on there and see what they act like.

Im going to switch the weights to 62's i think and double check my C2C while i have the clutches off. What belt is everyone running? I'm just using the 440 belt, the 1114.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yep thats the right belt, 1114

1104 is also the correct length but not quite as durable for big HP motors.

10.625 or 10 5/8" is the correct C to C

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Just for reference.

My friends Carls Cycle 152HP 685, the one we built over the last several weeks, is using the complete 440 Airbox, snorkle and intake plenum in the cowling.

That sled is set up like this.

1. 41mm bored Carbs.
2. 430MJ Good for 0*F
3. 45 pilot
4. Mixture Screw out 2.25 turns
5. 0.6 pilot Air Screw
6. 23/43 gears
7. '08 cooling system configuration
8. Neils power pipe
9. '07 600CDI
9. Stock Track with No Studs.
10. 10-64 with Almond Red Spring
11. Stock 440 Secondary

This sled rips, absolutely rips. Will absolutely destroy a new '08 XP 800r from bottom to top, 96MPH GPS. Likely the nastiest trail sled I have ever been around. We are just now starting to decide on trying new helix's to see if there is anything left in the mid range but this sled is bad just like it is.

The 440 Airbox works just fine on this sled.

I'm not saying you shouldn't remove you AirBox and see if you can get your RPM's up, you should try that. But when you hit the tune up right on the 440 Airbox will work for sure.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
trieditonce is whos sled i was talking about. before he removed the air horn it was running like crap, starving for air after about 45 seconds of anything more than half throttle.

BTW congrats on the little girl.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tom for the helix pockets told me to run a LW420720 ( 70-48-44) im also running the 70-44- 0.46 from my stock iq. He said it the 720 would give better mid range pull. I have been waiting 4 months for the helix from KIMPEX. Team does not stock that helix anymore it is special order. The 685 sure sounds like a rocket. Bruce

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well now i'm super confused!!!!!! thanks for the specs on the 685 tom. That should help me some.
Here is my current settings on my new carls 660HO. 430 mains, .9 air jet and jet pilot of #55, unsure of screw turns at this time.
Would/should i change to the .6 and the 45??? What is stock on the 600HO???
I'm currently running an almond, 10-64's. tried both the 66/44 and the stock 660Ho primary with a red/black spring. No differenece in top R's. Tom what helix setting is the 685 running the 66 or the 70??? Would an almond/red help me?
Searching for answers,
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
an almond red has less finish so that would bring your rpm down even more. you could try a black/green primary spring that will get you another 10 pounds of finish rate which will increase rpm's. is the almond spring new or used?
changing your air jets/pilots or the fuel screw will have no effect on top end rpm, only bottom thru almost mid range.

post some pics of your plugs and wash if you are gonna remove the head for anything. that will help us to know if your mains are too fat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i can pull the sled straight up and down in a wheelie, let off just a little bit to keep from looping out, and then when i get back on it it doesnt have enough to keep the skis up there. I would much rather get the tuning right with the air box on it,but ill do whatever i have to do.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MNSLEDNECK...did you rejet and figure anything out yet? I'm having no luck at all. Still waiting for the 10-62's.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm waiting for my neils exhaust as well as my jets, hopefully they will both be in today! And i can do some testing! I'm just not wanting to go to 62's i have a set but really want to use the 64 if possible! I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If you're having trouble maintaining RPM on top, try a Goodwin purple primary spring before trying 62s. It is a 140/360. I know a lot of you are going to say, thats too stiff on top...I thought the same thing, but it works. Gave me 150 rpm on top end...Motor now runs 8300 on top. You get the pull of the 64gm weights in the low/mid, but they act more like 62s on top. With the low gearing you guys run, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to run 64s.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts