Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 200 miles, and the rpm seems to be limited to 7950, although it briefly went to 8050 once today. The engine pulls hard, but it just isn't producing the rpm that it should. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Are you in 91 non ethanol mode? Also how is your belt deflection?

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
530 Posts
Could it still be in break in mode?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 200 miles, and about 6-7 hours, it is still in break in mode, but past the 2hrs of extra fuel. Other people are claiming 8100-8200rpm while still in break in mode, which is why I am asking. The belt deflection has been adjusted and is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your only pulling 7950 then you need to take in and have power valves relearned. Mine had pulled 8350 since day one, went to 68gram weights and still pulls 8150-8200. And gained 2-3 sled links. We have 4 650s and 2 of them had to be put on the digital wrench and instantly had same rpm. 1000 miles so far and all on 87, runs excellent.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If your only pulling 7950 then you need to take in and have power valves relearned. Mine had pulled 8350 since day one, went to 68gram weights and still pulls 8150-8200. And gained 2-3 sled links. We have 4 650s and 2 of them had to be put on the digital wrench and instantly had same rpm. 1000 miles so far and all on 87, runs excellent.
I see 8300 often and have been thinking of adding more weight also. Did you use adjustable weights or just straight 68 grams?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
5,896 Posts
Since all the 650 Matryx have the same clutching setup from the factory, two variations in how the clutches work are in the exact weight of the flyweights in the clutch and in the resistance/feedback put on the jackshaft from the track and the gearing in the chain case.

My sled came with 66.5 gram "10-66" weights.

Gearing in front of 146 inches of ICE Storm 1.50, is: 20:39-68 or 1.95

As I approach 1000 miles on the sled, full throttle "Maintenance speed" has pretty much stabilized at 8100 to 8150 rpm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see 8300 often and have been thinking of adding more weight also. Did you use adjustable weights or just straight 68 grams?
I went to 10-68 weights. And was able to compare with 2 other 650s with similar rider weight and same 129 tracks. After confirming it worked we added same weights to the other 2. Seems to work very well at 8150. All other clutching is stock

·
Registered
404 Posts
Almost 200 miles, and the rpm seems to be limited to 7950, although it briefly went to 8050 once today. The engine pulls hard, but it just isn't producing the rpm that it should. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?
How did you break your engine in? I hammered my 850 hard from the start to get good ring seal. I started my first day of riding at 8000rpm, 30 miles later i was at 8300rpm. If you baby them too much during the first 50 miles it's hard to get a good ring seal and your compression will be lower. I did the same break in procedure with my 2015 800, it was a runner too, pulling 8300, never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you break your engine in? I hammered my 850 hard from the start to get good ring seal. I started my first day of riding at 8000rpm, 30 miles later i was at 8300rpm. If you baby them too much during the first 50 miles it's hard to get a good ring seal and your compression will be lower. I did the same break in procedure with my 2015 800, it was a runner too, pulling 8300, never had any issues with it.
I varied the throttle, loading and unloading it., no constant rpm, and no extended full throttle. I have broken in many two stroke engines, both snowmobiles and motorcycles with no issues. I spoke with the dealer, and he will relearn the exhaust valves, to see if that cures the issue.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would say you are going to need more breakin time. Just under 500 miles on my 650 and it seems to get more torquey every time. Likes to be loaded hard.Belt deflection really critical. Its hard to tell by looking at the tach and the seat of your pants. You want to line it up with something else and get a baseline.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Engines are obviously different from each other. My sled didn't get to 8200+ rpm until it had probably 800 miles on it. I have seen 8300 here and there now on longer pulls. Now with that being said my wife also has a new 650, same track as mine 137 storm. And hers has less than 200 miles on it and has pulled 8200 quite a bit. Better ring seal out of the gate? Maybe. Without doing dyno runs on each it's hard to say. But point is with miles on mine, it feels like it's getting stronger. Basing this off of the tach and the climbing rpm. I guess I will have to wait till next season to see if the Mrs. 650 gains any additional rpm. All I know for sure these are fun engines and I'd say just about perfect for trail riding.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Due to another unseasonable warm spell, our snow is gone again, so it may be next year before I find out what the solution is. Last year people were snowmobiling here in April, this year we may be done as of today.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I varied the throttle, loading and unloading it., no constant rpm, and no extended full throttle. I have broken in many two stroke engines, both snowmobiles and motorcycles with no issues. I spoke with the dealer, and he will relearn the exhaust valves, to see if that cures the issue.
these new current engines require an aggressive break in to seat the rings properly. So the old methods of breaking in is actually making the rings not properly seal. Unfortunately the owners manual still goes by the old methods. Maybe due to warranty liability? If they do not seat, then they can create symptoms associated to a wide number of clutching, flash, etc problems.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
these new current engines require an aggressive break in to seat the rings properly. So the old methods of breaking in is actually making the rings not properly seal. Unfortunately the owners manual still goes by the old methods. Maybe due to warranty liability? If they do not seat, then they can create symptoms associated to a wide number of clutching, flash, etc problems.

And yet my friend babied his new 850 Pro S , not even exceeding 70mph for the first few hours, and his machine pulls 8150rpm consistently at about 8hrs.

As I posted, my engine actually pulls quite hard, it just doesn't pull as many rpm as most other 650s. And as other people have posted, they have witnessed other 650s doing the same as mine, and an exhaust valve relearn instantly cured the issue. If we get more snow, I will try the exhaust valve relearn, and see what happens.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The exhaust valves were relearned this morning, so I stopped at the lake on the way home.. Instead of 7900-7950, I was seeing 8000 -8050. Our snow is pretty much gone, with a week of warm weather forecast, so I unloaded my machine, and put away my trailer. We will see what happens next year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Test drove 650/137 with about 10 hours on it. Pulled hard to 8,300 RPM and stayed there. -25C temps during test drive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts