Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650 137" Blue/Silver Black tunnel Blue rails Mid windshield
276 Posts
I ran across a youtube video on clutch rebuilding that recommended adjusting the driven clutch with the track off the ground and setting the clutch so the track just barely starts to turn when the engine is idling. The engine must be off when making the adjustment.
This solves the question of how much downward pressure to apply to the belt when making the measurement.
Has anyone else tried this?
I always adjust mine so the track has a slow creep with track off the ground. I also usually run my track on the looser side.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
You guys with the new 650s wouldn’t be pulling our legs compared to a properly adjusted, like belt deflection and such, guys with 850s??? Now would you? Maybe Polaris should charge more for these “miracle machines” compared to the 850s.
The 650 is priced like an 800 so it better blow your socks off.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,974 Posts
I always adjust mine so the track has a slow creep with track off the ground. I also usually run my track on the looser side.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I would add if doing this have the track warmed up some

·
Registered
395 Posts
My new one is much faster than my 19 Indy xc 850, not sure why but it pulls harder and ran 10 mph (Speedo) faster than it over the same distance.
Honestly posts like this are very confusing to me, how would this even be remotely possible? Are there that many under preforming 850's out there?? There must be an absolutely HUGE variance from a great running 850 to a poor running one. I have 120 miles on my Matryx 850 137 storm track, i'm coming of a 2015 Pro S Rush that always ran great. My 850 would absolutely KILL my 800 in a race, from the very first time i hit the throttle i was blown away by it. About a week ago i was on a smaller pond with about 4 inches of powder on it no previous tracks, i was pulling 98 mph before i was running out of room, who knows how fast it could go in these conditions if i had the room, my 800 would never pull these speeds in untracked snow , there is no way a 650 would be anywhere near me in these conditions. How can there be that much variance from one 850 to another?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Honestly posts like this are very confusing to me, how would this even be remotely possible? Are there that many under preforming 850's out there?? There must be an absolutely HUGE variance from a great running 850 to a poor running one. I have 120 miles on my Matryx 850 137 storm track, i'm coming of a 2015 Pro S Rush that always ran great. My 850 would absolutely KILL my 800 in a race, from the very first time i hit the throttle i was blown away by it. About a week ago i was on a smaller pond with about 4 inches of powder on it no previous tracks, i was pulling 98 mph before i was running out of room, who knows how fast it could go in these conditions if i had the room, my 800 would never pull these speeds in untracked snow , there is no way a 650 would be anywhere near me in these conditions. How can there be that much variance from one 850 to another?
[/[/QUOTE ]
This thread did not start out praising the 650. It did help me figure out why the demo 650 I was riding was a slug. I was so worried about it that I was afraid my 3 month long wait for my sno check was all for not. I had two 850 sleds prior to this 650 and they both did not perform the way they should have. Very simple fixes on all of these. I had to reach out to polaris and the dealers that they came from and with some communication and patience they were strong like they should be. Honestly i dont think there is that much of a variance on any of these. They can all be tuned to run. It is very difficult to tell sales people and business owners that the product they are selling does not work right. They just dont want to hear it so alot of guys just get hung out to dry and just ride the underperforming sled the way it is.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It’s all about traction, if both sleds have the same traction the 800/850 will win. Less horsepower hooks up quicker thus the race is close. My 19 850 Indy can’t stay with my 19 850 assault. In fact my 18 800 assault can pass the Indy up top in any amount of snow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ok i guess it comes down to your quote that this 650 is the strongest sled out of the crate you have ever ridden, including the 2 850's you owned? how is this possible with an 850 having an extra 35ph and both sleds weighing the same weight? Your 850's must of been extremely under preforming?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can only speak from my experience between the two sleds. My 19 with 129” ripsaw track ran 96 mph and my 21 with 137” Storm ran 106mph. Not sure of the distance exactly, just two old telephone poles I use as markers on a snow covered back road. Both sleds were heavily studded. My new one is still in breakin mode and the 19 was out of break in. My 19 had no trouble beating 850 Doos so I can only imagine what this new one will do, especially when I set it up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can only speak from my experience between the two sleds. My 19 with 129” ripsaw track ran 96 mph and my 21 with 137” Storm ran 106mph. Not sure of the distance exactly, just two old telephone poles I use as markers on a snow covered back road. Both sleds were heavily studded. My new one is still in breakin mode and the 19 was out of break in. My 19 had no trouble beating 850 Doos so I can only imagine what this new one will do, especially when I set it up.
Oh i originally misread your post, you are comparing a 2019 850 to a 2012 850 correct? Yeah i am VERY happy with my 2021 matryx 850 137 w/storm track as well, hope you have a great season!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
So many butt hurt people laying claim to what sleds can and can’t do that they don’t own or ever ridden. I love the entertainment lol 😂

·
Registered
395 Posts
So many butt hurt people laying claim to what sleds can and can’t do that they don’t own or ever ridden. I love the entertainment lol 😂
If your referring to me i think you might be misunderstanding where i am coming from with this, i'm not knocking the 650, i think with some of the comments on here saying their 650 is stronger than their 850 was there must be a huge variance from a good running one to a poor running one. How on earth is the 650 with 35 hp less stronger then an 850? Both sleds same weight, same chassis? I'm more pointing out that there must be some very slow 850's out there.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I ran across a youtube video on clutch rebuilding that recommended adjusting the driven clutch with the track off the ground and setting the clutch so the track just barely starts to turn when the engine is idling. The engine must be off when making the adjustment.
This solves the question of how much downward pressure to apply to the belt when making the measurement.
Has anyone else tried this?
If you do it like that, you will end up with it set less than optimum. I have been doing it the way I posted for 26 years. It works, it's quick, and less tools. If you search my name on here you will see I know what I am talking about. As long as the belt doesn't squeal, or drag the engine idle rpm down, the tighter you can set it the better performance you will see.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,772 Posts
There IS a huge difference between a good running 850 and a "lazy" one. Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't say 30HP under some conditions would be exaggerating.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There IS a huge difference between a good running 850 and a "lazy" one. Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't say 30HP under some conditions would be exaggerating.
[/QUOTE
WOW! Then that makes more sense , that's crazy. How many of you guys on here have had a lazy 850? From the comments on here it seems a fair amount of guys have experienced this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 850 is lazy. It will only go 107mph where I’ve heard others getting 115-116mph. But it still won’t keep the front skis down when accelerating. Not bad for straightaways, but sucks when exiting corners and loosing ability to steer. I’m still sorting out the suspension, then I’ll tackle my lazy motor.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Oh i originally misread your post, you are comparing a 2019 850 to a 2012 850 correct? Yeah i am VERY happy with my 2021 matryx 850 137 w/storm track as well, hope you have a great season!
What 2012 850 model would that be?

There are plenty of reports about problematic underperforming 850's in some of the other forums here. We've already had reports of underperforming 650's in the Matryx forum. It happens for a number of different reasons.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What 2012 850 model would that be?

There are plenty of reports about problematic underperforming 850's in some of the other forums here. We've already had reports of underperforming 650's in the Matryx forum. It happens for a number of different reasons.
...obviously that's a type-o.

·
Premium Member
17,517 Posts
As stated, there are many variables when comparing the same sleds or different sleds. Peak hp is not necessarily the only factor to use. #1 is traction, #2 is clutch alignment and setup, #3 is throttle response, #4 is drivetrain efficiency. Not necessarily in that order. Anyone who's ever used a G-tech performance meter to determine acceleration forces can understand this. The higher the G-force reading the harder the acceleration. Obviously, the highest hp is a big factor, but not the only one. Unlike an automobile, the CVT is the thing that is the main provider of increased acceleration and top speed because it gains speed as it upshifts, not as the engine accelerates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As long as the belt doesn't squeal, or drag the engine idle rpm down, the tighter you can set it the better performance you will see.
Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like adjust for highest possible gear ratio at slow track speed. That would make any sled feel like it has more torque - which is what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
17,517 Posts
Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like adjust for highest possible gear ratio at slow track speed. That would make any sled feel like it has more torque - which is what I'm looking for.
Not quite. It only produces the lowest CVT ratio at launch. At low track speed, the CVT adjusts to the same ratio as it would with a looser belt deflection.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts