Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fun a topic to discuss while we are in mid July. With the new 650 coming out, will this engine/sled be an
1.over performer like an F7 or SRX 700.

2.true middle of the road performer between a 600 and an 800/850.

3.basically a good running 600.

These thoughts got swirling around in my head as I've decided to make the 650 my sled this year based on many of the reviews that said they had to double check they were on a 650 as it ran that strong. Along with the MPG claims and being built to be reliable. So I personally am hoping that this is a true middle ground sled like a 700 was in it's day. But recently I was over looking around on dootalk and there were several guys who claimed that they have rode the 650. They had less than encouraging words to say about it such as, feels like a 600. People who bought this thinking it will be a middle ground sled between a 600 and 850 will be disappointed. And another guy claims they were able to ride one side by side to the latest 600r etec, and the etec gets the jump on the 650 then the 650 slowly walks the 600r etec. Obviously this is on a Doo site, but I'd like to think no matter what brand you run that you could be honest about how something performs. Either way, if this new 650 feels like a 600 with a clutch kit, yes I won't be too happy. But if it feels like a 700 I will be pleased. Again just bored on a mid-late July day and want to talks sleds. So let's hear what you think!

·
Registered
63 Posts
They said 10% increase in hp vs cleanfire 600 so ~137hp vs 600R ~133hp and 14% increase torque ~90 vs 600R ~86
So technically it would walk the doo by a little.
I think the difference will be noticeable vs cleanfire if they nailed the clutch setup.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I am thinking it will be more in the lines of a 600. As it was made to be reliable and mileage saver. So, 650 sized tuned down a bit to a 600 level, to run on 87 octane(not really performance friendly) and reliable. Whereas the 600R is meant to overachieve for a 600.
However with a flash and clutching, can see in a MY or 2 this will bring it closer to 700 level.

Edit-Not surprised about the reviews from DT riders (if they even rode them) as only see a couple posters from there with an open mind.

·
Registered
20 XCR 850, 21 VR1 650, 21 VR1 850
932 Posts
Out of everyone that has ridden the 650 I have not heard any comments about it acting like a 600 most come away impressed with the performance. I have also spoke with two ambassadors local to me who don’t post on HCS that said the 650 rips. Time will tell. Hopefully things go alright at the factory I’m hearing that ATV and side x side production is behind schedule I hope this doesn’t push sled build dates back.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes with ATV and SxS through the roof I'm sure they have no plans to make snowmobiles. And I'm sure the bean counters are adding up the trade off of giving all the snow checkers a $500 credit towards their parts..so really no loss to them. I bet there will be a lot of sleds late on delivery.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes with ATV and SxS through the roof I'm sure they have no plans to make snowmobiles. And I'm sure the bean counters are adding up the trade off of giving all the snow checkers a $500 credit towards there parts..so really no loss to them. I bet there will be a lot of sleds late on delivery.
One would think, but I hope not.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,500 Posts
Guys I've got almost a full day of seat time on the 650! If the production model is the same you will be very happy and the Doo boys will be left in the dust!

A stock edge 800 or a 2011 CFI 2 800 barely made 140hp. This thing will be right there! I rode the assault 650 all afternoon shooting video on the lake with Luke Lester from snowtrax. Fresh powder and a 1.5 storm track, the sled was amazing!

The VR1 on trail ripped! I liked the 650 on trail vs the 850. I prefer the 137, although the 129 was super nimble. Trail wise the 650 would pick up the skis from a role. The power wasn't peeky like the 650. It had the grunt when you want it.

Im not on the payroll, so don't think I'm hyping this up. I've been riding trail sleds in the Midwest for 30 years now. If I didn't buy a new assault in 20 I'd be on a 650! I'll have one next year for sure.

You guys that bought one if your not impressed, find me in St. Germain this winter and I'll buy you a beer!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They said 10% increase in hp vs cleanfire 600 so ~137hp vs 600R ~133hp and 14% increase torque ~90 vs 600R ~86
So technically it would walk the doo by a little.
I think the difference will be noticeable vs cleanfire if they nailed the clutch setup.
I didn't know the Doo had that kind of power. Thought it was more like 128-127. But if it truly does have 133, IMO it kinda takes the goodness away from the 650s 135-138 has. But with that being said reading this from 1faspolaris makes me excited for my 650, and I think the combo I picked of the 137x1.5 storm will be fun, maybe not the best for top end speed, but should be fun.
Guys I've got almost a full day of seat time on the 650! If the production model is the same you will be very happy and the Doo boys will be left in the dust!

A stock edge 800 or a 2011 CFI 2 800 barely made 140hp. This thing will be right there! I rode the assault 650 all afternoon shooting video on the lake with Luke Lester from snowtrax. Fresh powder and a 1.5 storm track, the sled was amazing!

The VR1 on trail ripped! I liked the 650 on trail vs the 850. I prefer the 137, although the 129 was super nimble. Trail wise the 650 would pick up the skis from a role. The power wasn't peeky like the 650. It had the grunt when you want it.

Im not on the payroll, so don't think I'm hyping this up. I've been riding trail sleds in the Midwest for 30 years now. If I didn't buy a new assault in 20 I'd be on a 650! I'll have one next year for sure.

You guys that bought one if your not impressed, find me in St. Germain this winter and I'll buy you a beer!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My numbers are based on Dynotech research so can't really confirm # but they were tested in the same conditions/same fuel.
I'm curious to know if the 650 has a 91 non eth tune and 87

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The 650 doesn't have two fuel maps like the 850 does, 99% sure, so don't totally take my word on this.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also if your numbers are from DTR then they are as good as they come IMHO.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,500 Posts
No fuel selection on 650 as far as I know. Engine was designed for 87. All hp/ torque numbers claimed are on 87. Doo missed out on their 600. I think this 650 is going to be a fantastic engine.

Reactions: geez150

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
No fuel selection on 650 as far as I know. Engine was designed for 87. All hp/ torque numbers claimed are on 87. Doo missed out on their 600. I think this 650 is going to be a fantastic engine.
How so? I am guessing you have very little time on one. Great motor when paired with P drive clutch. Smooth, torquey and incredibly efficient. They still get upwards of 16 mpg when hammered, and close to twenty when babied.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Advertised as getting good gas mileage. It’s tuned to be economical not performance. But the aftermarket is sure going to have fun with this one

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,500 Posts
How so? I am guessing you have very little time on one. Great motor when paired with P drive clutch. Smooth, torquey and incredibly efficient. They still get upwards of 16 mpg when hammered, and close to twenty when babied.
Doo missed the opportunity to beat Polaris to market with a 650 is what I'm saying. It's probably a fine engine.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,500 Posts
Advertised as getting good gas mileage. It’s tuned to be economical not performance. But the aftermarket is sure going to have fun with this one
The fuel mileage claims are achieved at trail speeds of 25-40 MPH. When you put the flipper to the gripper there is plenty of performance. No doubt the performance shops will crack into it and wring it out.

Reactions: geez150

·
Registered
246 Posts
I rode the 650 last year as well and will agree that you will be impressed with it....I will say, I was not one of those guys who said they couldn't tell if they were on an 850 or not....you know it's a smaller mill for sure. That said, it is day/night better than the current 600. More power and much smoother. I own both a 19 850 Assault and a 20 Indy 600. I was quite familiar with both power plants.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those that have rode it probably won't have much mpg info. But if you had to guess at what the 650 was getting, what would you say?

·
Registered
932 Posts
It seems that a lot of ambassadors and other groups have ridden 650’s for an entire day back to back with 850’s I would have to think that they would have to fill them all up at some point during the day. I can’t believe that nobody compared fuel usage between the two. Maybe someone has and I just never saw it posted.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe not allowed to give out that type of information? As obviously top speeds, mpg, rpm and so forth are condition dependent. But would just be neat if someone did have some early data and not just the Polaris % numbers over the old 600 mill.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts