Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've been an 800/850 guy for the past decade, the 650 intrigues me and I'm seriously entertaining the idea of snow checking one for 2022. Especially if Polaris offers it in XCR trim. I really enjoy the torque of my 800/850's and being able to blip the throttle and get the front end up whenever needed. Reading all the reviews of the 650 it sounds like it definitely has that capability, I think? What I'm more concerned with is the fuel economy. When the AXYS came out, the 800's started getting better fuel economy than the 600's ... at least in our group ... and it really pissed off my riding buddy who was a 600 guy. We came to the conclusion the 800's weren't working as hard to ride at the pace we rode at (even though our pace hadn't really changed from years past when his 600 would do better on fuel). So I'm wondering what the feedback is with the new 650 and fuel economy? I found a 1000 mile review post, and the guy was really happy with the fuel economy ... "Fuel economy has been impressive and ranges around 16-20 depending on the conditions of the day, and on a 10 gallon fill up as the ranges change it always takes 1 gallon less than my 800 and 850 so its better on fuel even on wide open days its done better. Oil usage has been great and has gone 500 miles on a gallon jug."

Now to be fair, I've always said anyone who pays $12K+ for a sled shouldn't bitch if their gas bill is $40-50 more over the course of a season ... BFD, right??! But I'm still curious what a guy should expect to see for fuel economy - even more so for bigger guys who gear up around 250'ish?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although I've been an 800/850 guy for the past decade, the 650 intrigues me and I'm seriously entertaining the idea of snow checking one for 2022. Especially if Polaris offers it in XCR trim. I really enjoy the torque of my 800/850's and being able to blip the throttle and get the front end up whenever needed. Reading all the reviews of the 650 it sounds like it definitely has that capability, I think? What I'm more concerned with is the fuel economy. When the AXYS came out, the 800's started getting better fuel economy than the 600's ... at least in our group ... and it really pissed off my riding buddy who was a 600 guy. We came to the conclusion the 800's weren't working as hard to ride at the pace we rode at (even though our pace hadn't really changed from years past when his 600 would do better on fuel). So I'm wondering what the feedback is with the new 650 and fuel economy? I found a 1000 mile review post, and the guy was really happy with the fuel economy ... "Fuel economy has been impressive and ranges around 16-20 depending on the conditions of the day, and on a 10 gallon fill up as the ranges change it always takes 1 gallon less than my 800 and 850 so its better on fuel even on wide open days its done better. Oil usage has been great and has gone 500 miles on a gallon jug."

Now to be fair, I've always said anyone who pays $12K+ for a sled shouldn't bitch if their gas bill is $40-50 more over the course of a season ... BFD, right??! But I'm still curious what a guy should expect to see for fuel economy - even more so for bigger guys who gear up around 250'ish?
I came off a17 pro-s800 really fun sled no storage been doing bag trips was getting 13.5 ish mpg but oil was killing me . Now on a vr1 650 129” love it power is close 800 has longer legs over 100 mph for sure ,but I’m getting 15.5 mpg running it in Maine buying gas is not an issue but in Maine gas can be 140/150 miles apart . i pushed it to 154 miles and had 1.6 gal left oil usage is very good 550/600 out of a gal.

·
Registered
21 XC Matryx 650 Launch
22 Posts
Big Guy Here, Last 35000 miles on Polaris 800's, last one being a 2016 AXYS Switchback Pro-S 800.
Polaris hit it out of the park with the Matryx 650. Great Power, comfort, Really Good mileage at very aggressive speeds, and unbelievably low oil usage at 225 MI/ Qt. At my avg 3000 mi/season, savings will be well into the hundreds annually.

See the links to my 2 previous posts on fuel Mileage, and oil usage.

650 MPG #s

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Guy Here, Last 35000 miles on Polaris 800's, last one being a 2016 AXYS Switchback Pro-S 800.
Polaris hit it out of the park with the Matryx 650. Great Power, comfort, Really Good mileage at very aggressive speeds, and unbelievably low oil usage at 225 MI/ Qt. At my avg 3000 mi/season, savings will be well into the hundreds annually.

See the links to my 2 previous posts on fuel Mileage, and oil usage.

650 MPG #s

Great info - thanks! 🍻

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a 129" with the Storm track I'm around the 200lb size I see anywhere from 14-20 mpg it all depends on conditions and riding style of the day. I do also own a 800 and 850 that goes on every trip with the 650 and on a 10 gallon fill up the 650 always takes 3/4-1 gallon less and is sipping on oil. I will say power wise its strong in the mid 40-60 pull after 70 its flat compared to a 800 or 850 it keeps gaining speed but not like the big cc motors do.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info guys - keep it coming. You guys that are able to compare directly against 800 or 850, does it have the low end grunt like when you're in the trails and you hit a rise you can carry the skis over - or blip the throttle to bring the front end up at will? That's what I enjoy most with my 800/850 sleds, so just curious.

·
Registered
21 XC Matryx 650 Launch
22 Posts
Good info guys - keep it coming. You guys that are able to compare directly against 800 or 850, does it have the low end grunt like when you're in the trails and you hit a rise you can carry the skis over - or blip the throttle to bring the front end up at will? That's what I enjoy most with my 800/850 sleds, so just curious.
The 650 has all of the torque, and maybe then some on the 2016 and newer 800's. Obviously it's geared lower. Yes you can carry skis over a rise easily, just like the 800's. As far as bringing frt end up, the 129 and 137 Matryx's are fully coupled, so adjustments on rear block will dictate how far to carry the skis before planting. If you're used to a 144 Assault, or a Pro XC Switchback, those uncoupled rears can bring up the frt end at will, but you gotta set 'em back down coming into the next turn. My buddy on a 2020 850 144 Assault, is totally surprised that he cant get away from my 129 650 till 80-85MPH. 20 different side by side grabs of the throttle, anywhere from Fully stopped to 40 mph rolls. Same result every time.
In the twisties at aggressive speeds, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, is gonna get away from me without a 1/2 mile straightaway.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
5,909 Posts
Let's do some math (over 800 miles total, well broken in) 91NON fuel set at 91NON on my last rides, a combination of woods, rough railroad right of way, roads and some straight groomed trails. 114 miles, 7 gallons = 16.28 mpg gauge read 40% full. Using around 1 qt. of AMSOIL Interceptor oil every 200 miles.
10 gallons of fuel would take me 163 miles, with 1.5 gallons left. I'm okay with that.

On that same journey, travelling with a shorter tracked, shorter lugged Ski-Doo with 900 Ace, The 4 stroke Ski-Doo got 114 miles, 6 gallons = 19 mpg

·
Registered
2021 650 Launch Edition 137" ; 2014 XF 7000 Cross Country Sno Pro 141"
23 Posts
255lb guy coming off a variety of larger hp sleds to 650 launch...I'm giggling everytime I ride it! It truly is an overachiever...even carrying a passenger it crawls through the tight trails and has plenty of snap to lift the front when wacking the throttle over a washout.

When I'm solo, it's amazing...light, quick, torquey and still great on oil and gas. Its IMO the perfect trail sled!

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I'm about 230 geared up. I'm getting 15-15.5 mpg it most cases. In the woods you will not be disappointed by the 650. Great low and mid range. Like mentioned above it doesn't have the top end pop like a big bore. On a lake with my 137 that has the storm track and the 1.86 gearing from the factory vs. the 1.8 gearing with the shorter lugged tracks, I have seen a best of 95 mph. I'd imagine that the sleds with the taller gears and shorter lug track will do better top end better mpg at the expense of the corner to corner rip that my sled has. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,208 Posts
When my wife rides the 650 137 launch we have she can go all weekend on one tank of fuel lol. I never calculated the mileage, but it's up there. I told her you have to open it up once in awhile 😂

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are really tipping me towards the 650 with the feedback and other reviews ... thanks! Keep 'em coming (good or bad). I think my biggest decision will be to go for a VR1 with the 7s - or a Launch with the standard MFD. Because I typically buy new every other year, I may opt for the VR1 and gauge since it will help will the resale.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get 12-13 mpg. Sips oil though. Cost between oil and fuel probably about the same as my 850.
Just curious ... heavy throttle, or heavy rider? Or both? Because I would be the latter!! LOL

·
Registered
771 Posts
A buddy that I frequently ride with is a Poo guy, his last sled was a 16 Axys 600 121". He and I are the same size and ride exactly the same way, his Axys regularly used almost double the fuel and oil that my 16 Renegade 600 Etec used. Last year I got a 20 Renegade 600 R which uses more than my 16 but still way less than his Axys. This year He's on a Matryx 650 129". Its very close to my Etec, the Etec still consistently is better but by a much smaller margin. I will also note that my 600R is a 1.5 lug track which is geared different and drops my mileage a little. Why do I care about fuel consumption after spending 14K on a sled? because we do a lot of backpack trips and fuel stops aren't always plentiful. 3 years ago we were riding from Timmins to Sudbury, we pulled into Shining Tree and he said his low fuel light had been on for the last 15 miles. After filling up we figured he had 2/10ths of a gallon left in his sled. Thats cutting it closer than we are comfortable with and is the reason I have a fuel caddy on my Renegade.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll reiterate that fuel economy isn't a show stopper for me since we ride in an area where there's plenty of options to fill up. My reasoning behind this post was to see how it compared to the previous model years' 600 as that one just didn't seem to do well with gas. If the new 650 was on par with that sled, I'd be more inclined to lean towards the 850.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,048 Posts
I'll reiterate that fuel economy isn't a show stopper for me since we ride in an area where there's plenty of options to fill up. My reasoning behind this post was to see how it compared to the previous model years' 600 as that one just didn't seem to do well with gas. If the new 650 was on par with that sled, I'd be more inclined to lean towards the 850.
Riding in the same area, same usual conditions, so far at around 300 miles, I am averaging around 15mpg, with the 650. Never seen better than 13 with 600's.

·
Registered
448 Posts
So what is the seal with Octane for the 650? Snowtech reported it was designed to run best on 87. Seems contrary to what I've seen online this season.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
5,909 Posts
So what is the seal with Octane for the 650? Snowtech reported it was designed to run best on 87. Seems contrary to what I've seen online this season.
Snowtech was wrong. The 650 Patriot, is like other recent engines from Polaris. It has 2 fuel type settings, based on what fuel you are using, and maximum performance is obtained with 91 octane or higher Non-ethanol fuel in the 91 NON-ETHANOL fuel type setting.
It will run fine on 87 octane upto 10% ethanol, in the NON-PREMIUM / ETHANOL fuel type setting

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snowtech was wrong. The 650 Patriot, is like other recent engines from Polaris. It has 2 fuel type settings, based on what fuel you are using, and maximum performance is obtained with 91 octane or higher Non-ethanol fuel in the 91 NON-ETHANOL fuel type setting.
It will run fine on 87 octane upto 10% ethanol, in the NON-PREMIUM / ETHANOL fuel type setting
Wasn't it Polaris, that promoted the 650 as being an 87 octane type of sled? I swear that was one of the promotional aspects to the new 650.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts