Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not too many are riding yet...and the 650 is pretty new

Looking for 650 feedback.
Like how does it feel/sound/powerband etc.
Im hopeful it behaves/performs like a well setup 660 smallblock ....or a well setup 700

Pretty sure this will be my next motor...was always very satisfied with my 700 Poo twins...sweet spot for performance/durability fpor a twin IMO

Between weather and supply chain I likely wont get a chance to ride one any time soon so....lets hear from 650 owners.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,581 Posts

Im hopeful it behaves/performs like a well setup 660 smallblock ....or a well setup 700

Pretty sure this will be my next motor...was always very satisfied with my 700 Poo twins...sweet spot for performance/durability fpor a twin IMO

Between weather and supply chain I likely wont get a chance to ride one any time soon so....lets hear from 650 owners.
A lot of folks rode the 650 sleds last season, there are a number of threads discussing them. Few were disappointed. It is a good strong engine, with decent fuel economy and a very strong midrange.

Reactions: rich7

·
Registered
2,791 Posts

I put 2500 miles on my 137" VR1 650 last season.

It feels more like 700-800 power than 600. Very strong corner to corner and very usable power. Against my brothers 2018 8000 RR cat they were neck and neck most of the time. He could slowly walk in some cases but was never more than 2 sleds out.

It surprised both of us and was very good on fuel and oil. It's not an 850 and won't ever be an 850 but will keep up with one all day on the trails. The 850 will start pulling on it around 60ish and keep on walking. But in the trails and being a fairly good rider, I was sniffing 800s and 850s snow flaps all day. Kind of fun actually. Until you hit that rail grade or long straight, then you find yourself looking for more throttle.

I bet the 650 suits A LOT more people than the 850 does but everyone wants that big number even though they can't handle it and/or never use it.

Here id a video with some longer pulls in it. Camera angle kind of sucks. There's a few more videos on my page too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have one in a 146" SBA. I don't see how anyone needs more power than this motor has for any sort of trail riding. It pulls like crazy up to about 70. In the last two weekends I rode with a Doo 800 and a Cat 600. The 800 would walk away on 50MPH roll-ons as you'd expect. Corner corner we were neck and neck. The 600 Cat was set up well and I'm 100 pounds heavier than him and in drag races he'd jump out to a 2 or 3 sled lead (he's studded, I'm not) and I'd slowly reel him in. Off trail I get the 800/850's have an advantage. Mine sips fuel and oil.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I've always been a CC chaser. 2015 XRS 800 Etec, 2021 XRS 850 Etec. Demoed a Polaris VR1 650 and was in heaven. Much easier to control in the trails. Bought one in March!

Raced my buddy with a 2016 Doo 800 Etec. I had him off the line, and up to 75/80 and that's where he kicked my butt. But you know what, we never hit those speeds on the trails ALL day. Don't think I'd ever go back to an 800/850.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was able to ride my 650 XCR 128 Sunday for the first time. I only have maybe 150 miles on it at the most. I just came off a 600 XCR 2017 and have to say that it definitely has more power then the 600. The 600 might be just a little more snappy at first as the 650 power seems more linear but would keep pulling strongly. It hit the 85-90 mark very easy on the straight away which the 600 XCR would be 80-85. Switched with my friend who has a VR1 650 137 and the XCR seems to have more snap when first taking off. Same amount of studs per bar (3 per bar) so not sure if that is the difference between track pitch. Can't wait for this weekend to get a bunch more miles on the sled.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
X2 to a lot joe12 said. I have chimed in several times how much I enjoyed the 650. My sled before my 650 was a 240 HP zr9k. So I basically cut my power in half, and for trail riding that was absolutely fine as the 650 does have a great mid range. Only time I missed the big HP was the lake. I liked my 21 650 so much I bought another one for 22. They're good man, I bet 8.5 out of 10 guys would honestly be happy with one, the other 1.5 guys are the guys that have lots of wide open runs where a 850 or big four-stroke definitely makes more sense.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
I was able to ride my 650 XCR 128 Sunday for the first time. I only have maybe 150 miles on it at the most. I just came off a 600 XCR 2017 and have to say that it definitely has more power then the 600. The 600 might be just a little more snappy at first as the 650 power seems more linear but would keep pulling strongly. It hit the 85-90 mark very easy on the straight away which the 600 XCR would be 80-85. Switched with my friend who has a VR1 650 137 and the XCR seems to have more snap when first taking off. Same amount of studs per bar (3 per bar) so not sure if that is the difference between track pitch. Can't wait for this weekend to get a bunch more miles on the sled.
Which 128 track is on. Yours and what track and length is on the vr1?

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,704 Posts
650 is amazing engine. Corner to corner is a ripper! Out on the lake it runs out of steam on the big end, as expected. Mine will pop the skis up from 40 mph and go! I honestly have nothing bad to say about the engine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got to spend some time astride a 650 Indy XC 137 Launch Edition last winter and absolutely loved it. It definitely feels bigger than it is. Broad and muscular power curve, smooth and predictable response, very low vibration levels, it's a real jewel to ride on the trail. I have no hesitation recommending it.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Only down fall to me it feels a little flat on top. But again I came off of a 240 hp ZR9K. SPI makes a pipe for the 650 that is intriguing as it seems like it may help give the 650 more pop up top. But after talking with SPI, they make it sound like it really needs to run through a can vs. the stock muffler which I'm not good with due to NY and their lack of sound testing and more so stock vs. not stock. Would love to take that pipe to dyno tech with my 650 and see how it performs vs. the stock pipe both ran through the stock muffler.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Only down fall to me it feels a little flat on top. But again I came off of a 240 hp ZR9K. SPI makes a pipe for the 650 that is intriguing as it seems like it may help give the 650 more pop up top. But after talking with SPI, they make it sound like it really needs to run through a can vs. the stock muffler which I'm not good with due to NY and their lack of sound testing and more so stock vs. not stock. Would love to take that pipe to dyno tech with my 650 and see how it performs vs. the stock pipe both ran through the stock muffler.
I used to run SLP stuff, never had an issue. As long as it's not obnoxiously loud MOST law enforcement officers are pretty cool as long as you are respectful and have the proper insurance, permit, registration. Not saying you won't, and it is illegal. But if the wrong person looks under your hood and sees an aftermarket pipe, it's ticketable even if it goes through the stock silencer. But I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The 650 is a sweet engine..
I did a test ride in March with the 2022 demo polaris sleds and the snowtrax guys. I fully expected to be ordering an 850 until I rode the 650.

To me I felt more comfortable on it and I felt more in a rythym corner to corner with it. It has gobs of midrange torque and pulls hard, it doesn't need to be wound out like a 600 does. The 850 was a beast but I felt a little less comfortable on it if that makes sense.

I do all trail riding and not much lake running. The 650 easily got up to 85-90 and then I let off (it was pure ice on the lake and a bit sketchy). Corner to corner it's a rocket. It's super smooth as well and almost no vibration..

At 138ish HP and 14% more torque than a 600 it is pretty much on par with the 800s power wise of ten years ago (I owned a 2011 Pro R and can attest to this).

After that ride I ended up ordering a VR1 650.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought my wife a 650 XC last year and she loved it. A couple of times she couldn't go, so I took her sled and liked it so much I ordered a 650 VR1 129 this year. Like others have stated: The mid range is where you really notice a difference over other 600 class sleds. It's the perfect sled for any type of trail riding. Sips the gas and oil.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts