Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 40 tooth bottom gear from bikeman, and tonight while installing it, I noticed when both the stock polaris gear and the bikeman gear are on a flat surface, the bikeman gear is a 1/16" narrower. Now, when I put it on, the bikeman gear has play back and forth on the shaft (obviously, a 1/16"). Is this normal?, and is it going to be alright sliding in and out on the shaft?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just got a 40 tooth bottom gear from bikeman, and tonight while installing it, I noticed when both the stock polaris gear and the bikeman gear are on a flat surface, the bikeman gear is a 1/16" narrower. Now, when I put it on, the bikeman gear has play back and forth on the shaft (obviously, a 1/16"). Is this normal?, and is it going to be alright sliding in and out on the shaft?[/b]
On some gears I have bought in the past, the thickness of the gear is less than stock (ie. EPI). They usually include a washer that makes up the difference to eliminate the play. Not sure the specifics of the gear you purchased. Just a thought.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah well, I called bikeman, and as usual they've never heard of a problem like this. I could send it back, and they'll look at it, but thats a whole lot of wasted time and shipping. They have no shim they offer, so now I'll look for my own. "Drop right in and go" never seems to be the case anymore on this stuff. Always somewhat of a hassle.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sounds like you have not done a gear change before and need some guidance. If you don't have access to a manual I will give you the short version. Place both gears on the respective shafts and place a straightedge across and to see which one needs shimmed to get them lined up, it usually is the bottom gear that needs a shim or 2 or 3. There should be a couple from the factory so to add some shims to get the correct alignment is not uncommon. Make sure you use loctite blue on the bottom bolt and torque to 15 #. Don't forget to torque the top nut to 55 # and put the cotter pin in.
Adjust chain tensioner, install cover, put chain lube in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
barrysledxc, I've done a gear change before on a ski-doo, and don't remember any problems because I used oem ski-doo gears. So far, I've already done everything you've said to do, except install the shims. I'll stop at the dealer for the correct shims and go from there with a straight edge.

sixpac, yeah I did install a 22 tooth on top. No problems with that gear.

Thanks to all who replied, thats what this site is for right?

·
Mr. Part Time-On Line
35,159 Posts
Did you change the top gear also? I was told a 40 wouldn't fit with the stock 23 on the top.[/b]
The 40 tooth bottom will not fit with a 23 top(as per Polaris shop manual)......... Try 22/40 or 22/39 if the first is to low...............

Many people here like the 22/40.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I obtained the correct # of spacer shims for the bottom gear, and they are in, and aligned perfectly. Thanks to those who let me know about using them, as I was unaware that they were sometimes needed. Now I need snow. Anyone help with that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The 40 tooth bottom will not fit with a 23 top(as per Polaris shop manual)......... Try 22/40 or 22/39 if the first is to low...............
Many people here like the 22/40.[/b]

Hey supersonic - Where can I get a Polaris shop manual? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts