Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39,610 Posts
At 8k miles i've seen these cfi 600's from around then toast. Pretty much the entire motor needs rebuilding. Just a fact on these newer cfi 2 strokes....they don't seen hold up like the old liberty carb motors.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
At 8k miles i've seen these cfi 600's from around then toast. Pretty much the entire motor needs rebuilding. Just a fact on these newer cfi 2 strokes....they don't seen hold up like the old liberty carb motors.
Yeah,minimal fuel and oil will cause that.Thanks to the epa all the newer engines are ticking time bombs over 5000 miles.Throw in the substandard oil some like to run to save a few bucks and you're done.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
At 7200 miles you will probably just need a new crank. Guarantee you have bearings that are getting rough. Rods are probably on there way out. If the pto bearing hasn’t spun on the crank already it’s more than likely started to loose its contact patch. At 4 to 5 thousand miles and your doing a top end on a 800 just go all the way down and have a reputable crank shop check it out. At 7600 on a 600 I would defiantly go all the way if your into the engine.
Yes, had to split the crank to put the new brass gear on, so new bearings went in @ that time. Another $500 down the drain. Then I had to get the dealer to install the mechanical seal on the water pump due to the special tool requirement. Had to wait 3 weeks for that... nothing happens quick. Just got it back today. Now to start the building process. All this for a backup sled that will likely get used 3 times each season with the full family. Sure hope it has a few thousand trouble free miles in it.

·
Registered
39,610 Posts
Yes, had to split the crank to put the new brass gear on, so new bearings went in @ that time. Another $500 down the drain. Then I had to get the dealer to install the mechanical seal on the water pump due to the special tool requirement. Had to wait 3 weeks for that... nothing happens quick. Just got it back today. Now to start the building process. All this for a backup sled that will likely get used 3 times each season with the full family. Sure hope it has a few thousand trouble free miles in it.
For what you spent overall you could of parted it out or sold it, and bought a good cheap carb 600 if used for that many times a year, and probably still came out ahead.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
For what you spent overall you could of parted it out or sold it, and bought a good cheap carb 600 if used for that many times a year, and probably still came out ahead.

Sometimes it’s better to spend money on what you already have. Then you know what you got. If you want to load it up and haul it 500 miles from home you should be confident. Buying a used sled is a shit show you might get a good one or not. My feeling is at least of 75 percent of used vehicles there is a reason they are being sold. Owner is either sick of fixing or doesn’t want to fix and pass it on to the next guy. I laugh every time I see a used sled up for sale and it says brand new top end. That’s the last sled you should buy. More than likely it’s some patched together piece of shit. Like some of the guys on here that have chunks of pistons and cylinder missing but think I’m just going to put a new top end on and call it good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,610 Posts
Sometimes it’s better to spend money on what you already have. Then you know what you got. If you want to load it up and haul it 500 miles from home you should be confident. Buying a used sled is a shit show you might get a good one or not. My feeling is at least of 75 percent of used vehicles there is a reason they are being sold. Owner is either sick of fixing or doesn’t want to fix and pass it on to the next guy. I laugh every time I see a used sled up for sale and it says brand new top end. That’s the last sled you should buy. More than likely it’s some patched together piece of shit. Like some of the guys on here that have chunks of pistons and cylinder missing but think I’m just going to put a new top end on and call it good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree as long as you have owned a sled with lower miles and have done always done good maintenance knowing it was a good running sled...you want to keep it. Sometimes it hard to let go on a known problem child sled. I know what you mean...theirs guys that run their sleds in the ground with little preventive maintenance and run the cheapest gas/oil while hoping to make a bundle when it comes time to unload them. Imo, when buying any used sled you need to know what to look for or you will get screwed.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts