Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
could someone post the pictures of the 440 stinger mod? Because, as you know, I can´t see the old ones anymore:(

I have ordered parts from patrik at SMP(Swedish mountain products), so I can modify the 440 exhaust as soon as I find a sled to put my 600VES into..

But when I get more money:
Will the SLP pipe+can from a 600rr work on a stock 2002 600VES?
What about twins? Will it work from a 600rr?
What would you reccomend?

I´m thinking about doing some mild porting to the engine next summer..What pipe should I go with then?[/b]
ttt

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
TTT, I need to post a few pictures here. It's that time of year again.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
OK, so I finally found some of the pictures that have been missing from this thread for a few years. I had saved this thread on one computer but the pictures were on a computer that hasn't even been turned on for almost 2 years. I finally located them and am posting.

I have received several calls and PM's in the last 2 weeks about using the 440 pipe for a 600 motor and figured it was time to resurect this old thread. I'm going to admit right up front that it's kinda fun digging up an old thread from years ago. I don't know why i always give guys a hard time when they do the same thing. Sometimes these old threads have some good info in them that is valuable for everyone on the forum.

If you go back through this thread you will find lots of specific info about enlarging the stinger on the stock 440 pipe so it will work for a 600 motor. This stinger mod is not the perfect solution for a pipe but it will fit into even the strictest budget. This pipe mod costs about $30 and will work pretty darn good untill you can save up for a great pipe from Dynoport or one of the other pipe builders.

These pictures are from a sled that I built back in '06. Eventually the kid installed a Carls Cycle 660 kit on the motor and it ran great even with the modded 440 pipe. These are the same pictures that were missing on page 3 of this thread.

Look back through this thread for more details about this mod.

DSCN4767.jpg

DSCN4771.jpg

DSCN4769.jpg

DSCN4770.jpg

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Just adding pics of my sled with the larger stinger plumbing. I just got this sled and the previous owner said the Carl's 660 runs great even with the 440 pipe and this stinger mod. We'll see! I can't wait to run it.

I don't know dimensions.. If/when I pull it off I can measure inner diameter.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Nice looking '05 Fire Chicken. :bc:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice looking '05 Fire Chicken. :bc:
Thanks akiqpilot. In comparing this U flange to yours, appears to be all one size with no collar/flange on either end. It appears to be larger which would allow for more flow. I assume more flow here is a good thing. Question... How would one know if the motor is struggling to breathe? Will it fall on it's face on long pulls at WOT?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Thanks akiqpilot. In comparing this U flange to yours, appears to be all one size with no collar/flange on either end. It appears to be larger which would allow for more flow. I assume more flow here is a good thing. Question... How would one know if the motor is struggling to breathe? Will it fall on it's face on long pulls at WOT?
If it's struggling to breathe because of a tight stinger it will detonate the motor and burn a hole in the piston(s).

Have you run the sled with this set up? Did the previous owner run it and for how long? I think it can work pretty well but when you get some spare money you may want to invest in a dynoport pipe and can. I've seen these 440 modded pipes work real well with 600 HO motors and they worked for a long time.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
A blast from the past thread...love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I wanna do this mod just couple questions. 1. What is a stinger? Is it where the pipe tapers down? 2. Are u changing the u pipe for a bigger size or just where it connects on each end? I'm just trying to get this mod done last thing to do on my 600 ves swapped 06 iqr. Appreciate it. Lots of good info from u. Hopefully this clears it up for everyone. These threads are so old it's hard to find what your looking for now.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
stinger as they call it is the tapered end of the pipe the u tube hooks to. The u tube is bigger and the tube into the exhaust can that it slides over/in (depending how you do it). Some have just ran the 440 stock exhaust on a VES600 with good luck as well. Personally I would do the mod, buy a R pipe and can, or an RR. I have been told the 440 pipe and can work fine although

Attachments

41 - 52 of 52 Posts