Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tryed changing the port timming on an 02 600 motor.I read an artical on spam that they used a thicker base gasket and milled the head for some more power.I am thinking of trying this since we have no snow.

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,268 Posts
I did this on my 800. Went with a custom made base gasket from Cometic. I then cut the head to make up the differance in raising the jugs. Supposed to give you a few ponies up on the top end. Hard to say if I noticed a differance, because I made quite a few other mods.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I saw the same "tune-up" on the XC600. They picked up 3 hp but they also took a little extra(.011") off the head to tighten up the squish and raise the compression. So, we really don't know where the power came from. If I were going to try it I would do it exactly like they did. Not as good as porting but a heck of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'd get a good porting job done and leave the head alone unless you put some pipes on it. It'll cost $100 to mod a head or $100 per cylinder to do a little clean up job and have better results without a "custom" gasket.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,210 Posts
A few years ago DinoTek did a report on this. I believe they pulled around 124+ hp, and the below graph with more timing than stock. I talked to Rich Daley at Dyno Port about it and he said it made the motor very finicky on the jetting, so I passed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.