Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Polaris Trail Touring 550 Fan and I'm new to Poalris. It has only 800 miles and is real clean. I've riden it for about 40 miles in one day so far mostly arounf 25 MPH. My question is; are all of these engines noisy? It makes a loud noise at idle (rap, knock, tap, whatever you call it). It's not as noticable at higher revs becasue the exhaust drowns it out. It appears to be coming from the cylinder closest to the clutch. I've checked compression 112+ (cheap gauge) in each cylinder and even. The plugs look identical and if anything a bit oily. I used about 5 gals of gas and less than half a pint of oil. I appreciate any help or guidance that anyone can give. I prefer not to tear down the top end before the end of the season all the shops around here are booked anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hard to tell without actually hearing it but fan-cooled engines are a bit more noisy than liquid engines for sure but not too bad once they reach cruising speeds and above.
What was the weather like? Warm temperatures?
Fan-cooled work a lot better in minus degree C temperatures, if its warm they bog and have to work harder and thus sound noisier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was warm, probably 30F or so. I've run it at idle a couple of times since once at 40F and once at 15F and it sounds the same. If both cylinders were doing it I wouldn't be as concerned but it seems to only the clutch side. I pulled the plugs and rotated the engine with the clutch both pistons seems to move easily and by the same amounts (by eye). If all the snow hasn't melted I'm going to go for a ride this weekend. I'll see if it stays the same after I've run it for a while.

·
Registered
391 Posts
As said its hard to say without hearing it but it would be advisable to have it looked at if you are not sure.
There is a post on here at the minute where some 550 fan motors have burned a piston on the PTO side.
Apparently some years were jetted weak at certain throttle settings and steady running at those speeds can cause damage.
Check with your dealer if your model year had a recall or bulletin re the jetting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have 2 supersports and both have this same noise. The one did not start untill about 3600 miles and the other around 2900 miles. I have rebuilt both clutches thinking maybe thats the problem. Not. Both have 125lbs. in each cylinder. Plugs are nice tan color. No power loss and they run great. I searched and found that one person says its the valves on the intake
side are dirty. These sleds are valve assisted. The problem is the valves are in the lower engine block and require you to remove the heads and jugs to get to them. I was told there is no harm and not to worry about it. The noise goes away as the rpms go up. This makes sense that it could be dirty valves. I have rode about 800 miles on the one and still no problems. I will keep an eye on my plug wash and if thats ok then I will not worry about it untill something goes wrong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have an '03 trail touring with 2500 miles. At each 1000 mile interval I had to have my motor rebuilt because of the cylinder closest to the pulleys either melting or siezing. I was told by the dealer who rebuilt it that the clearance between the piston and cylinder is too close so when it heats up a little...POW. I have absolutely no faith in this motor and am expecting to have to rebuild again in another few hundred miles based on my past history with this thing. Also when I first got it I could get a constant 12 mpg, now after the second dealer rebuild (at $1000 a pop) the best I'm getting is 8 mpg. WTF! Has any body had any good luck with this motor?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ok,, first of all these are two stroke fan cooled engines.. Fourstrokes have valves, two strokes do not.. It is possible that someone is thinking case REED valves but these fanners do not have reeds..
It is very possible that the noise you are hearing is the clutch itself.. Clutches are very noisy once they get broken in a little.. Also, fan cooled engines are inherently noisier than water cooled cause that have fins on the out side of the cylinder that echo a distinctive "ping' noise.. Back in the early 70's Yamaha used to put little rubber spacers between the fins on their 2 stroker to try and quiet them down.. They are noisy!!
Something ou might want to check and keep an eye on is stuff getting in the cooling fins under the shrouding on the engine.. For some unknown reason mice LOVE these motors and LOVE to build nests inside of the cooling shroud on these motors.. I have rebuilt MANY fanners because the owner didnt realise that mice had plugged up the cooling and it stuck a piston.. It is VITAL that those fins are clean so air can move around them..
I always set my fanners up with one over on my main jet on the side next to the clutch to help in cooling.. I do this mainly because the fan is located on the other side of the engine so air flow isnt always best on the clutch side. Another thing to remember is to make sure any venting on the hood remains open cause these little guys need all the fresh cool air they can get!!
Ripperrr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the mystery is over. I just talked to the mechanic and the engine has "cold seized" damage. He was surprised that it was still running. Apparently the original owner was too impatient to let it warm up. I guess I just learned a valuable and expensive lesson. Know more about these machines or buy new! They say it's going to be approximately $900 for a top end rebuild (both sides), thankfully the jugs can be machined to remove the scuff marks. Oh well, when it's done I'll basically have a new engine that will be treated right.

It seems to me that the engines in these things are kind of fragile. How long should you let these things warm up before you can ride them?

Any other tips for "the new guy" would be appreciated, I'd like to make this sled last for a few years.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thats a very pertinent question whos answer is found in the type of piston you chose to replace the old ones with.. Wiseco pistons are a forged piston and they are much more sensitive to cold siezures,, with a forge you really need a good 5 minutes of warm up before tapping on it.. Non forge, two or 3 minutes should be plenty.. Another issue is the clearance your machinist is using for piston - wall.. .003 (3 thou) is standard - some guys like to try it tighter but it will cause you grief.. Also, the end gap on the rings have to be check - ALWAYS!! Get 3 thou minumum there also - it has gotten to be common place for mechanics to not check this and THAT is a big no no..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2003 Classic with 3500 miles on it. It burned down the left piston at 1900 miles the first time in 2005. 2nd time at 2700 miles in 2006 and am picking it back up from the dealer for the third time. Polaris according to my dealer claims they have no problems with 2003's. I have four Polaris"s in my garage. The one I'm picking up today is going in the trailer and a for sale sign is goning on it. I will be replacing my current machines with something other then Polaris! The 550 classic was my wife's machine, so it has not been abused.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently bought a Polaris Trail Touring 550 Fan and I'm new to Poalris. It has only 800 miles and is real clean. I've riden it for about 40 miles in one day so far mostly arounf 25 MPH. My question is; are all of these engines noisy? It makes a loud noise at idle (rap, knock, tap, whatever you call it). It's not as noticable at higher revs becasue the exhaust drowns it out. It appears to be coming from the cylinder closest to the clutch. I've checked compression 112+ (cheap gauge) in each cylinder and even. The plugs look identical and if anything a bit oily. I used about 5 gals of gas and less than half a pint of oil. I appreciate any help or guidance that anyone can give. I prefer not to tear down the top end before the end of the season all the shops around here are booked anyway. Thanks.[/b]
I currently have a "99 xlt 600 and the same thing is happening.It is in the shop now and it looks to be a expensive repair(piston crankshaft,rods).It is dangerous to ride whith engine problems such as this ,because a part might blow out of the engine.I have only owned this machine for two weeks.Only paid a grand for it though ,it had 3200 miles on it Life is short.It will be sold after it gets repaired

1 - 12 of 12 Posts