Hardcore Sledder banner

500 Fuji Specs?

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  FreezerBurnt 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the early '90's 500 fuji liquid motors ran horsepower wise? I know the 500 that i just put in the sled came with 34's carbs and now its gonna have the 38's, and have a set of PSI Racing twins on it. I was Just wondering if anyone could guesstimate on a approx horsepower rating for me? The motor has great compression. Also are my chain case gears in my xcr diff from what would come in the '91 indy 500 in which i took my engine out of, and would leaving my xcr's chain case gears in the sled after having put the 500 in be a disadvantage to me? If anyone could help me out i'd appreciate it.

#3 ·
Originally posted by ready2race@Oct 12 2005, 06:54 PM
My guess would be around 75hp. not sure if the gears would be the same, i would doubt that it would be the same ratio since the XCR is more of a cross country racer,not sure on that though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=925470
[/quote]
with a pair of 38's, twin pipes and who know's what else, you are a long ways from stock, the stock chaincase gears is small potatoes.

#5 ·
:dunno:
Originally posted by ExcursionPSD@Oct 13 2005, 06:46 AM
with a pair of 38's, twin pipes and who know's what else, you are a long ways from stock, the stock chaincase gears is small potatoes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=926279
[/quote]

I was giving him the stock HP on the 91 fuji 500 motor,(They do have 38 carbs,) not with the mods, I didn't tell him to leave the gears , he asked if they were the same, not sure what your saying. :dunno:

#12 ·
Not to dispute your claim, but I have a 93 pamplet here and I just checked and it saids the 500 classic came with 38's, unless it was changed after printing, but i'm sure it wasn't.[/b]
Some Indy 500 Classic TOURINGS came with 34s FACT

http://www.polarisman.com/site/DisplayMode...CTOUR&Year=1993

http://www.polarisman.com/site/DisplayMode...CTOUR&Year=1996

The 91 Indy 5s came with 38s that is a sure thing I had 2 :)

I am sure in one of my old mags has the 90 Indy 500 had 78.5hp at 7800rpm

#13 ·
The 93 polaris book lists both the classic and touring with 38's may have been changed after printing. :dunno: Actually I looked through the 94-95 books also and several mags and and they all say 38's, except your link, if they put 34's on them I don't know why the didn't change their books. found the 96 sno goer listed 34's on the classic but 95 lists 38's, polaris 2000 book has 34 for the classic. must be misprint somewheres. :dunno:

#14 ·
93,96,97,98 etc Indy 500 Classic tourings had 34mm carbs

There was NO 95 Classic Touring

The 94 was EFI

Why you ask that they added 34s to the Classic Touring 500

Because the Tourer is looking for MPG and not that extra 2-3mph

Same reason most XLT Tourings if not all had 34mm carbs vs the 38s in the XLT SP/XCR version of the engine(yes I know the reg XLT had 34s)

#15 ·
Early 500's ie 89 90 were a little down on power around 68 to70 hp due to timing being a little lazy from the factory. They got better as years went on but a stock 5 will max at around 74 to 76hp!As for a rough estimation with twins with stock porting you won't get much more than 80 max.Mod porting and twins shaved head bumped timing you will get no more than 87 to 90hp.Most I've seen from a 500 is about 100 hp this was with a kit SLP had years ago called the RZ500 which consisted of a new top end and cost major $$$.Hope this helps!! :polaris_rules:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.