Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 440 LC that I would like to convert to 500 due to the good prices on spares or possibly swap out for a big block 600. The engine is in my '92 440, basically a project sled since I got it 6 years ago. I need something a little bigger than the 440 that will run more consistently and also less peaky, although it is fun at WOT. (I'm getting tired of jetting and fiddling). The small block fits nicely in the '92 chassis (with a little hood modification) so I'd like to stay with the small block, 440 exhaust, and TMX 34's if I can. Does a anyone know if the 440 exhaust and CDI will work okay with a 500 top end (VES and non-VES)? The advantage with the non VES would be cast iron cylinders and simplicity. Also, to run the 500 cylinders do I need to machine the top of the crankcase? I believe the stroke is the same for the 440 and 500. Is there anything else I would need to worry about for this conversion besides jetting?
On the other side of the coin, is there anything to worry about with the 600 big block? I've read quite a few posts on 600 conversions but there doesn't seem to be much on the 500 or older 600s.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts