Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been having an ongoing problem with my trail ready liquid cooled 440. It will run great sometimes and other times it won't run over 6-7000 rpms. It will run crisp and clean when it's running good, but it will bog and flutter when it's having it's problem. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, sometimes it will do it all day, and other times it will do it for 2 minutes. Carbs are clean, exhaust valves are clean, I've tried changing the adjustable timing switch, sometimes it helps if you turn it back and forth a few times and other times it won't make a pinch S*** of difference. I've tried unplugging the pipe sensor thinking it may be reading hot, but nothing happens, still does it. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks guys

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been ridin' around the 15-25* mark and nothing really other then that. It's random, so I can't see how it would relate to jetting. It might run great all day, or randomly just act up and run terrible all day.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Are you jetting for every 10-15 degree temp change?[/b]

your jetting must be spot on for that motor to run good...... With that said put a tempflow on it , if everything else is good your problems will be considerble less.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The exhaust valves are freshly cleaned and the reeds look good. It seems to have nothing to do with jetting, when it does it, you can turn the choke on or off making no difference. I'm thinking maybe something in the ignition, but I just wanted check around first. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I can almost positivly guarentee it had everything to do with jetting. Just TRY your needle at one clip up (2nd from top leaner) if it is not allready there. Just see what that does and get back......! The jetting chart from polaris is STUPIDLY rich IMO.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can almost positivly guarentee it had everything to do with jetting. Just TRY your needle at one clip up (2nd from top leaner) if it is not allready there. Just see what that does and get back......! The jetting chart from polaris is STUPIDLY rich IMO.[/b]

I know the jetting maybe off, but if the jetting is/was off, wouldn't it run not up to speed the whole time? It can run great for 45 minutes and like crap for 25 minutes all day, on and off doing whatever it feels, in the same temps at the same elevation, it's intermittent, which steers me away from the jetting. When it's running like it should, it has a crisp clean rev out to around 9K and both plugs look good (when it's running up to par). I posted in the "Race" forum, and one guy thinks the clutch could be getting stuck, which I'll check into tomorrow more. Thanks so far guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not only does the jetting have to be perfect on those, so does the clutching. Maybe even more so. If it is truly random it sounds like a weak or fatigued primary spring. Maybe a sticky or flat spotted roller bushing in the primary clutch. When is the last time you cleaned and/or rebuilt that? Good luck.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I know the jetting maybe off, but if the jetting is/was off, wouldn't it run not up to speed the whole time? It can run great for 45 minutes and like crap for 25 minutes all day, on and off doing whatever it feels, in the same temps at the same elevation, it's intermittent, which steers me away from the jetting. When it's running like it should, it has a crisp clean rev out to around 9K and both plugs look good (when it's running up to par). I posted in the "Race" forum, and one guy thinks the clutch could be getting stuck, which I'll check into tomorrow more. Thanks so far guys.[/b]
"Loading up" No, it wont ALWAYS run like shit just when it gets to much fuel to burn off.....like if you let it idle for a long time and try to take off....smoke like a whore and it shit until it gets cleened out.....It sucks and ruins a day of riding and i know that best! Even more so when you pull up to race a cockey buddy of yours!

Clutchin is very true to....i put 58g wieghts in my sled for the hell of it last year when it was a 440 and i could barly go over 6000 rpm for the life of it....

·
Registered
164 Posts
my pro x did something like that i was up north and i had to take it to a skidoo dealership. there was a polaris mechanic handy and he was almost positive it was a bad cdi box. idk whatever happened to it though i ended up trading it in to diggers polaris.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will be going to a dealer when I get the rear skids issues resolved. I'll Post what they happen to find out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After fighting with this over the last year, I finally got it. The previous owner removed the hood vents, apparently Polaris has a blocker for the vent nearest the air box, replaced that and all of my problems went away. My Polaris buddy also noticed the foam to seal the airbox to the hood is missing also. Just thought I'd through that out there if anyone is having an issue, I would have never known had I not had a buddy who has a few Polcats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts