Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people,
please stay off the ice if you can help it. 4 snowmobilers went through the ice in lovell(sp) maine today and only 2 lived . the snow is insulating the cold thus not making the ice thicker. please U S E C A U T I O N !!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you go on lakes where you don't know if it is safe, it's your own fault. How many people have to be told this. There are lots of idiots out there that make us all look bad, and many consider snowmobiling unsafe when incidents like this happen, when it has nothing to do with the fact that they are on a snowmobile, they were just idiots. They should all get a Darwin award. The tragic part of this one, is one of the people probably thought it was safe and talked the others into trying it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
NOT GOOD NEWS! let us send our sympathy out to these folks families in this time of sadness for them.everyday we all ride we take the risk of something happening.becarefull and be sure of the ice conditions before riding and crossing any body of frozen water.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Its trajic but i have a hard time having w whole lot of sympathy for ppl who are dumb enough to venture out on uncertain ice that is thin enough to go through on a sled. Avoiding ice and water just seems like a no brainer..... ;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I was out on the lake sunday, it was 5 inches thick but 200ft away it was open water. It always bugs the shit out of me every year that one spot in the lake doesnt freeze.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The folks rented sleds for the day, I think I know of the place they were rented from & they rent ALOT of sleds. The ice was wide open from what I saw in the news last night. I'm sorry, even if your inexperienced you should have seen the open area of the lake. It was probably later in the day when it was dark but from the one ride I took up there last year everything was well marked. It is a tragedy & one that need not be repeated EVERY year over & over.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Morrisond.......................who made you perfect?? God forbid anything ever tragic happens to someone you love......would that make them idiots, too? I've been snowmobiling for over 30 years and am a very experienced female driver and I fail to see how these tragic deaths make you or me look like idiots......maybe the only idiot here is the heartless one you see in the mirror every day.
My heart goes out ot everyone involved.

·
Registered
348 Posts
People who venture out on ice don't realize its unsafe! Its a matter of education and knowing the area. Just like avalanches, no one plans on being in one but we carry gear to help us if we do get caught in one. A friend of mine rides on ice I would never ride on, but he has a survival suit that he can inflate if he goes in. He has to blow it up through a mouth piece or a CO2 cartridge. He spent the night in the woods after a breakdown and just blew up the suit and slept in the snow with his helmet on and was fine in the morning. Its the same suit they use for cold water survival in the navy.
If you go into a dangerous enviroment make sure you have the equipment to survive if something goes wrong!

·
Registered
198 Posts
That makes 6 people who have died sledding in Maine this year. I know that 3 of the 6 were newbies on rented sleds. There have also been two serious nonfatal accidents that I am aware of in NO. ME that were rentals. One the guy was drunk and wrecked his second rental before he broke his leg. Last year a first time sledder on a rental hit a small stone on the side of the trail and drove headon into my son in law, totaling both sleds. Luckily no one was hurt but it could have been bad. The guy took his hands off the handlebars when it started to swerve and never tried to regain control. To top it off he still hasn't been paid for the damage to his sled. Its a risky sport for novices that go out and try to sled like those who have done it all their lives. Maybe we should have novice trails like the ski slopes do. Every time someone dies another legislator tries to come up with another law which isn't going to help if someone can't drive a sled and hits a tree.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
MAKES YOU QUESTION SLED RENTALS,
IF YOU DONT OWN IT, YOU HAVE LESS RESPECT FOR IT
I REALIZE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL, BUT A VAST MAJORITY
FOR EXAMPLE , PULL UP TO A PIT STOP AND 8 OF 10 RENTALS HAVE THE KEYS LEFT IN THEM

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't know about your differant States but over here in Ontario our clubs stake the lake trails and keep tabs on ice thickness with core samples. If it does not meet a standard thickness then the stakes are not put up or are pulled down. If there not staked you just don't ride on them! "Use at your own risk" Is a pathetic excuse. You don't need to be out there if there not marked. If ya don't know, don't go! Still it is a tragedy when someone looses their life. My sympathies go out to these people. I would hope others learn from this fateful mistake! :(

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
MY RULE OF THUMB IS, IF THERE ARE TRUCKS DRIVING ON THE ICE TO GO FISHING, SAFE FOR SNOWMOBILES
THE POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH ON A SLED IS A LOT LESS THAN A VEHICLE

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. & Mrs. Firecat@Jan 8 2003, 08:15 AM
.......................who made you perfect?? God forbid anything ever tragic happens to someone you love......would that make them idiots, too? I've been snowmobiling for over 30 years and am a very experienced female driver and I fail to see how these tragic deaths make you or me look like idiots......
Well said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts