Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 Indy Lite 340 for my kids to ride and it's getting a little worn out. I was thinking of making a project out of it for me and the boys and was looking for some input.
I would like to put an XLT 133" suspension with about a 1.5" track and a set of plastic skis and a 500-600cc engine. Any info on what is possible would be appreciated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
my .02 take it for what its worth.
youre asking way too much. first, i dont know if that chassis is designed to havdle the weight of that suspension and track. thats not a major problem but just a thought. but to put a triple in that or even a twin is asking alot. thats not even the wedge style chassis correct? anything is possible, but i think in the long run itd be a more fun project to find a donor sled and just build up from there. you basically building a new sled on that chassis and to get pipes and everything wlse to fit. lets just say IMO its not gonna be a fun project. gonna be a headache.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's a stretch but I'm thinking of the ultimate sleeper. I found an '06 IQ 440 engine complete with pipe and carbs on e-bay for a good price and a couple XLT skids dirt cheap. I think with a few well placed aluminum gussets it'll be plenty strong enough. Besides, my boys are 9 and 14 so it's not like I'm making it haul by big ass around.
My biggest question is will the XLT skid even fit into the chassis? My wife used to have an XLT with the 133" Xtra 10 and I thought that would be perfect for the 440 to boondock with. Or maybe just get some rail extensions? I don't want a big mountain track, just a little more flotation. That's why I was thinking if I could keep the weight to a minimum with a 133" it should go just about anywhere a 95lbs kid points it.
Anywho, the $.02 is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,212 Posts
The Lite tunnel is the same tunnel as used on the Indy for years. The 133 skid was based on what, the Dial-a-just or the xc101? I don't remember. A Xtra 10 should fit in by using the correct remount dimensions from JB Shocks site. I've heard guys have put 488 fan motors in the Lite. The low profile of the Lite hood will make it hard to cover a taller motor. Those IQ 440 motors can be pretty finicky to dial in. In the end you really won't have any thing "Lite" any more. It would maybe be easier to find a chasiss with the motor and rear skid you want and put the Lite body work on that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i agree the tunnel is the same, but is the mounting to the bulkhead, etc. the same? i dont know im curious. it could be a fun project. but i really think youre getting yourslef into alot. but have fun with it. id stick with an xlt engine(only cause im selling a complete unit) itd be a drop in package less exhaust. also have alot of other polaris parts.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,212 Posts
i agree the tunnel is the same, but is the mounting to the bulkhead, etc. the same? i dont know im curious. it could be a fun project. but i really think youre getting yourslef into alot. but have fun with it. id stick with an xlt engine(only cause im selling a complete unit) itd be a drop in package less exhaust. also have alot of other polaris parts.[/b]
Sure looked all the same to me when I had ours apart. I am referring to the chaincase equiped Lite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just swapped an edge skid into an Indy lite...I'm running 1.25 track with 1.375 studs. There is plenty of room in the tunnel for what ever. But the chassis is "lite" I've added a lot of beef...it has been a lot of work...but it has been a lot of fun. Sled also has an 09 Fusion front end, and a Pro X 440 fan in it. It's almost done...2 years later.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts