Hardcore Sledder banner

315 miles on XP 800R Renegades

6K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Cannonball Rev XP 
#1 ·
i will preface this by saying anything written here is purely MY OPINION and you may experience something different.

we took 2 XP renegades to northern quebec this weekend to put some miles on them as we will be racing them in Cain's Quest in March. We took one X-package renegade and one non-X renegade, both 800R's with ZERO miles on them.

first i have to say that i honestly feel sorry for you guys that are still waiting, but trust me when i say, the sled is worth the wait!!

i was riding the Non-X. 2 tenths of mile from leaving the chalet my sled died, the ECM plug was not on all the way. before you ride, check your ECM and voltage regulator plugs, this happened to another guy i know.

first impressions are that this sled is LIGHT, we were riding in up to 3 feet of fresh powder and you can throw this thing anywhere you want, it's awesome. the ergonomics are excellent, the foot position is great for sitting down while trail riding and the transition to standing in the rough stuff is piece of cake. i think knee pads will be a good investment, i was right up on the tank most of the weekend.

the power of the 800R is brutal. i owned an 800R summit last year and it was not even close to this thing. you should need a special license to ride this thing, it's that FAST!! there was a 2007 Mach Z X-package and a Hauck tuned apex in our group. Rob raced the Mach with X-gade and made it look silly. they didn't run from a dead stop but from 30 to 100+ its a joke, the 800R just plays with the 1000SDI. I raced the Apex a couple times at trail speed and it too is not even close. it pulls away like the apex is tied to a tree, it was unbelievable!! there was also an 05 800HO X-gade in our group and after seeing the carnage wouldn't even play with us.
the mid range pull will seriously tire your arms out from hanging on!!

fuel mileage was ok for a new sled. we were also running them very hard and in loose snow up over 2500 feet of elevation. the one time i checked it we had covered just over 70 miles and i averaged 12.6mpg. oil consumption is high, but it's to be expected from BRP. the light came on with 170 miles on the clock.

the clutches seem spot on from the factory, back shift is good and the power is always there. i'm sure it will be even better with a properly setup kit. We had fun playing with the X-guage package, it shows a ton of info.

as far as strength...... unfortunately we ended up testing the claim that they are 37% stronger than the older REV chassis. i would have to agree with that claim. the X ended up hitting a rock the size of a keg at quite a clip and just bent the lower A-arm. the older REV would have been in rough shape for sure! the XP is tough!!

braking was good, no complaints. the X did lose it's hand warmers on saturday and are being replaced but that was it. i doo think the stock skis are junk, but that's my opinion. i have a set of C&A's going on this week. the X had C&A outlaws and it handled like an F1 car. definately worth the money.

as for top speeds seen. we were mostly in ungroomed and loose snow. the X-gade saw 104 and the non-X saw 107, both GPS numbers.

some pics to enjoy.

Mt. Valin video

See less See more
#9 ·
hey if that was a Nytro i seen in one of those pictures on your video how did that compete with the new 800R?

#13 ·
hey if that was a Nytro i seen in one of those pictures on your video how did that compete with the new 800R?[/b]

honestly, it doesn't. it's heavier for sure and not even in the same ball park as far as speed goes.

he did use $2 less fuel than i did at one fill up.

the nytro is fun to ride but it's comparing apples and grapefruits if you ask me....

#14 ·
Thanks, haven't checked the site, too much other crap in there especially the one's about blowing belts on "stock" motors, just got sick of it, prefer this site to be honest.

Good review. Where abouts in Northern Quebec? Still waiting for my new Gade.[/b]
Mont Valin is north of Quebec City, the closest big city is Chicoutimi, I think it's about 2 hours north of Quebec City, might be longer the scenery through the Jaques Cartier Parc is breathtaking, almost equal to Banff (with the exception of the really "big" mountains, but beautiful, nonetheless!!).

Check out their websit at Mont Valin

Hope it works.

#15 ·
Maine, Good no BS report from a respected rider..........looking forward to seeing if the new platform stands up to your groups abuse. If they do, they are the real deal. I'm in the market for a new sled next year so I'll be watching. Are those Ohlins part of the X package or Gardner package?

#18 ·
At Mont Valin, did you guys ride up the ski slope? They actually let us ride on that mountain to the right for about 3 hours!!! (about 6 of us) When We were there, there had to be 15' up in the mountains, I have never seen that much snow East....I wonder if the lakes had any ice yet? Riding South by the airstrip I was pulled over (clocked @ over 95 mph) and once they realized I had no French to be spoken, and that I was from the states, they simply waved me off???? I could not believe this, very nice people. We stayed up in the mountain next to a club bar on a small lake. A great time, I need to return.

Those sleds, are they colder than the other RENEGADES? Would the SIMMONS SKIIS be good for these? Great report see you soon maybe....

#20 ·
Re: the nytro, it shouldn't even come close to keeping up, 800 vs aprox 600 (though my buddys 800HO holds off his uncles F1000, so.....). Glad you're enjoying your new sled, looks like a winner for skidoo (if it holds up of course, the disclaimer on all first year sleds).

#24 ·
great review . thanks think I'm going to have to try one. I like the look glad to hear they work well also. also better bolt your doors now, I said something about my wifes poo beating a yammi on their forum after they asked and they have been throwing tommatoes ever since. awfully thin skinned. have fun

#25 ·
Great report I can't wait to get more miles on my sled. I have the x with the stock skis and I think they seem to handle quite well. Always looking for better but not bad at all maybe the x shocks. Please keep us posted on the cain's quest if there is something we could help you with let us know. Will be rooting for the two of you big time!!

#26 ·
Great report I can't wait to get more miles on my sled. I have the x with the stock skis and I think they seem to handle quite well. Always looking for better but not bad at all maybe the x shocks. Please keep us posted on the cain's quest if there is something we could help you with let us know. Will be rooting for the two of you big time!![/b]

the stockers are good, as long as your on hard pack flat trails
anything else :lame1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.