Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends chaincase went out just outside of Pheniox MI. (panther 550) My other friend decided to wait with him wile I rode back to Houghton to get the truck. We got to joking around and the bet came up that I couldn`t get to Houghton buy 4:00 and it was just about 3:40. I new It would be a hell of a challange w/ ruff trails and lots of stop signs.

I took off and made my charge. I was surprised to find fresh groomed trails. So that made the trip a little better. I only had One near death expiriance just north of the big intersection to got to Gay, calumet, hancock and houghton. I was booking down a strait strech that was smooth and groomed. I could see no one was coming so I let the machine eat right down the center of that trail. At obout 90 mph I hit a 2 foot mogal and was airboard for 75 to 100 feet about 5-6 feet off the ground. Thought I was toast. Sled landed w/o problems and I just kept right on bookin.

I pushed the machine to its limits and found that they are greatly higher than my likeable limits. I hat this sled maxed the whole time practically and found if my machine was going to blow it would have done it then. I got to take her to the limits and mostlikey wont do it again. Cause its to friggn scary.

I also found this machine plain out PREFORMS. The harder you push it the greater it handles.

I`m up to 950 miles now and looking for more great miles. Just going to slow it down a bit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Apparantly you missed this earlier post by a groomer:

"While grooming Friday night Norm and I, along with several of our friends on the
EMS service had the horrifying experience of seeing another rider be added to
the
growing list of snowmobile fatalities.  A man in his mid-forties with two young
children,  came over a hill on a straight away 5 miles west of Grand Marais as
the sun was setting in the sky and ultimately, on his life.  This man did
everything
wrong; he had been drinking, had not strapped his helmet, had left his group
behind,
and was traveling far to fast when he simply lost control of his snowmobile.
Apparently no one saw the accident but the sled had rolled, pitching the man
off and tumbling with him 200 feet before coming to rest crosswise in the
trail.
He sustained severe injuries and died shortly after arriving at the hospital.  
A totally avoidable, waste of life.  
That's not all - When his buddies found him and went for help, one stayed
behind.
He was left alone, cradling his dying friend in his arms for what must have
seemed
like an eternity before we came upon the scene.  We called 911 and helplessly
waited
with him, watching the precious life of his friend and someone's son, brother,
husband, and father slip away.  "[/b]

Is your life or the life of someone else really worth a bet? Let us all know where you are riding next so we can go the opposite way.

I dont mean to preach but this kind of riding has no place on public trails used by everyone- not just motorheads.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Come on Slider, you should know better than to post something like that on here. You will have 3 pages of hate mail now. And you did not even win the bet. I would keep the bragging to your riding buddies to aviod the humiliation your going to face now on this site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fyi, its not just speed that does damage. a group of us were riding in the sault area, doing about 45mph, kind of a rough trail. i hit a very deep mogul sled came completly off the ground and landed hard, my buddy behind me hit the same mogul sled was air born, he landed sideways when the sled went to roll he was ejected off and into a tree. shattered his left leg and was in a critical stage of possibly loosing his leg. After about a total of 14 hours in surgery the leg will be saved, although he has a very long road ahead of him. Both of us were on f7's and both of us have been riding for several years, I guess you never know! I do agree everyone needs to slow it down and pay attention, and leave the booze for after the ride.

Hell Cat

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I thought for 3 days about posting this. And Expected a few :angry: people. The trails wernt busy on sunday, I slowd for all corners. I did not just rip through them. When I came to a group of stopped riders i slowed way down and made sure no one was going to get hurt. Stopped at all stop signs and passed people on the straits. When I met oncomming traffic again I slowed way down and used the proper hand signals. If I came to a blind hill I also slowed down and stayed to the right. If I saw any sign that could possible produce problems I slowed and used caution.

I saw very few people on the trail. If it would have even been remotly busy I would have dropped my male ego needs and rode slower for there saftey.

I wanted to take my chance of being alone and just flat out ride. I dont like to go that fast when I`m leading a group or within a group. I`m normally just your plane old Johhny trial rider but I wanted that rush.

There is always a danger of a collision with another sled and I thought about that from the time I left my buddies. Its the guys that forget others are out there and just go balls out 24/7.

I did this pretty controled. One close call but I was only endangering myself. And that I can live with. If it would have been a close call with another rider I probly would have rethought things a bit.

The trails I was on where very strait, w/ the exception of some minor twisties.

If you think I was out of line w/ this please do e-mail me. I`ll talk to you more personally. No problem!!! That dosn`t make me mad.

If you say you never want to meet me on the trail, Why not I`m a good guy ask the people I have met. I`ve met alot of people and am always very friendly and talkitive. I like meeting people.

The one who asked about MY LIFE and OTHERS?

I didn`t read the groomers story before this, and yes that is sad and very horriffic.

I feel for that mans family and friends.

but you have to take into consideration the man was drinking.

I have no regrets for Doing this and Posting this.

I was endangering myself and that is part of my game. I was watching out for others wich is a nother part.

In my first post I had glomorized it a little bit, It was not quit a near death expiriance I was able to control the sled in the air to come down w/o loosing control.

Bottlom Line is: I rode hard and fast, pushing the machine and my own limits. I also did this w/ respect for other people, I took caution w/ them in my presentce.

Again THIS IS NOT HOW I RIDE.

It was a pure test!!! Of How I Could RIDE!!!

Call me what you want but I would just like you to know I am a pretty safe guy. I can get pretty extreme but I`m not dumb.

Please do not critisize me here, but do so by PM or E-mail.

I was just sharing an experiance.

I should have been more clear in the first place.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by marks-cat@Feb 6 2003, 12:24 PM
The American education system is failing us. It has totally forgot to teach common sense.
Common Sense?

Find me a educational proceedure to teach that.

Common Sense comes from personal and past experiances.

I Rode very hard but used alot of common sense.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i agree with slider, there is nothing wrong with riding harder , as long as you can handle it, with out edangering others!
if the trails are clear i ride harder than normal, on saturdays i dont expect to average 75 mph, because too many fellow sledders, but during the week, sometimes you wont see another rider for hours!
if you do crash during the week, riding by yourself slider, on the downside you will lay there and bleed to death
but thats your choice as long as you don't endanger others
i personally find my self thinking of my two little son's wheb i start getting too crazy and it slows back down!
i want to see those little guys grow -up , and ride with me!
i already know my oldest is going to be hell on wheels, or track and skis, he has no fear on his kitty cat!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Amen,
There is a time and a place to ride fast. If no one ever went 100 the sleds wouldn't be made to go that fast. I will be up in Houghton this weekend. If there is a time and a place to go really fast we just may. Or we may not depending on who is reading this post.
Cat S.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I agree. It's all common sense. If the trails are crowded slow down! If you're on unfamilier trails slow down! That unseen ditch might throw you into the woods! There's nothing wrong with riding fast on familier trails as long as your to the right,alert,in control in corners and always looking ahead.
Slider,sounds like you have plenty of common sense. Just stay within your abilities!

·
Administrator
20,816 Posts
Hey Slider ...

Don't sweat it man. You were well within your rights to go that fast as long as you knew there was no traffic. I hate to question people who get on their soap box, but I know Slider isn't the only one to open it up on a clear trail.

The only thing I agree with is that it's better on a trail you're familiar with, before really opening it up.

When's the next trip?!? :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by Slider79+Feb 6 2003, 02:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-marks-cat
@Feb 6 2003, 12:24 PM
The American education system is failing us.   It has totally forgot to teach common sense.
Common Sense?

Find me a educational proceedure to teach that.

Common Sense comes from personal and past experiances.

I Rode very hard but used alot of common sense.[/b]
Just Remember...Limits were made to be broken...so to speak. Of course you're going to test your machine and your own skill...that's half the fun. Yeah, the down side is the possibility of a near fatal or fatal accident. You used good judgement in that you didn't do it during a peak time on the trails. You guys have all given me valuable advice on how to improve my riding...I'll be damned if I'm gonna condemn you for yours. And to all of you people who don't want meet him on the trail, the loss is yours. He's very helpful, and it would be a privelege to meet him and ride with him in person.

We all have to be careful...and we all push our limits...so, why rip him apart. If he was drinking and did that, different story.

And to you my friend...just be careful.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get off his back--everyone in here knows they've ridden hard and went into a corner too far and nearly clipped someone coming the opposite way. Don't act like angels--everyone rides like that once in a while.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedWerxf7@Feb 6 2003, 05:45 PM
Get off his back--everyone in here knows they've ridden hard and went into a corner too far and nearly clipped someone coming the opposite way. Don't act like angels--everyone rides like that once in a while.
Thank You SpeedWerx. Maybe we should start a poll with the topics being:
1) Ride it like a rental?
2) Ride it like a rental but condem others when they do it?
3) Never been above 5k RPM in fear of a bump

I have been pushed off the trail more by un-studded/no-carbide slow pokes that cant hold their lane around corners than I have the more agressive riders. Would most consider them a 'trail demon'? I do not think so, but they are just as bad as the hot rods.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
the ride sounds reasonable to me. let's not start the "politically correct" bullshit on this site. snowmobiling in and of itself is a little on the edge so to speak. do'nt drink or drug,use safe common sense and rock the casba! seeeeee ya!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Originally posted by green team7+Feb 6 2003, 06:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SpeedWerxf7
@Feb 6 2003, 05:45 PM
Get off his back--everyone in here knows they've ridden hard and went into a corner too far and nearly clipped someone coming the opposite way.  Don't act like angels--everyone rides like that once in a while.
Thank You SpeedWerx. Maybe we should start a poll with the topics being:
1) Ride it like a rental?
2) Ride it like a rental but condem others when they do it?
3) Never been above 5k RPM in fear of a bump

I have been pushed off the trail more by un-studded/no-carbide slow pokes that cant hold their lane around corners than I have the more agressive riders. Would most consider them a 'trail demon'? I do not think so, but they are just as bad as the hot rods.[/b]
Good point. I have seen my share of slow riders that have a hard time keeping it in a straight line.

Some trails are wide and flat enough to handle higher speeds. How many follow the speed limits and why are you on a Fire Cat! You don't speed in your car either.

Common sense and experience makes a good rider.

Cool it!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Slider79

I've done the same thing before. Pushed myself and the sled to the limit while knowing that if I bite it, I'll be the only one who gets hurt.

But then I thought about it and realized that I have a family who counts on me to make it home safe. With that being said, riding on the edge isn't worth the rush.

Everyone, don't be selfish when you are fueled by the desire to push it to the limit. Everyone has family and friends who would be sad if anything happenend to you while enjoying the great sport of sleddin'.

I for one do NOT want to hear of anyone on this site (or anywhere for that matter) losing their life while riding.

If it sounds like I'm coming down on those of you who ride hard, don't take it that way. Just be careful and respective of others, on the trail and off. Gunner..

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I have to admit... i love pushin thelimits of myself and my sled, but u gotta know when to stop... yea, i could probalby take alot of corners at 60+, but, it don't make sence! What if i hit someone and killed em, maybe a young child on a sled , or an older person on one of there 4-strokes! There goes the rest of ur snowmobile career! U would never have aday that u wouldn't thionk abotu that...It ain't worth it... I love to ride it liek a rental, ballz to da walls, but, i ain't stupid, crazy, yes, but not stupid... There a big difference between riden crazy, and riden stupid... the person that drives crazy like me, is usally the person that brings it home it one piece.

No hard feeling though bud...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Slider,

Granted you may have rode hard and people think you may not have used common sense but at least you weren't drunk and doing......

BIGCATF7

1 - 20 of 23 Posts