Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Heading up to the U.P. in a couple weeks and am looking for a trailer that will fit 3 sleds. Anybody know of a place where you can rent a trailer to accomodate 3 sleds? I am currently in the White Lake area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you arrange them on your trailer sideways? or kick the two all the way out to the sides and stuff the third on in backwards?[/b]

I was thinking about that but did a search and found some horror stories on axles breaking and tires going flat with a 3 sled load. I believe the trailer is an 8'X10'.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
I was thinking about that but did a search and found some horror stories on axles breaking and tires going flat with a 3 sled load. I believe the trailer is an 8'X10'.[/b]
We put 3 in a 2 place... blew a tire in 4 miles! DONT do this unless you upgrade to 10-ply E-rated tires. And obviously don't go (much) over your axle rating.

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,819 Posts
can you arrange them on your trailer sideways? or kick the two all the way out to the sides and stuff the third on in backwards?[/b]
Don't do this!!! It's an accident waiting to happen!!

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
We put 3 in a 2 place... and blew a tire in 4 miles! DON'T do this unless you upgrade to 10-ply E-rated tires. And obviously don't go (much) over your axle rating.[/b]
D is correct, we blew a tire in little over 3 miles after we put his sled in my buddy's 2 place trailer on our trip up to the UP. We had already put 200 miles on the trailer before adding the third sled so I know that the tires were in good enough shape for the two sled load.

We put three in a two place, covered, single axle trailer that was supposed to have D rated tires under it, ( I took the trailer that weekend because I knew my buddy had towed it with three in it before ) but the last guy that borrowed it from my buddy had blown the two tires that "were" under it by overloading it with four full dresser Harley's for bike week, when he gave it back he had replaced the "D" rated tires with the much cheaper "C" rated tires. Now-a-days, I just say "F' it to the gas mileage and take my big two place, twin axle that I know will handle the load!! LOL

But as others have said, if your axles and/or your tires are not up to the task, you are looking at a disaster in the making. It is no fun trying to change a trailer tire on the side of the freeway in the cold!!!!

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Could try this...

[attachment=417126:redenecksled.jpg]

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Could try this...

[attachment=417126:redenecksled.jpg][/b]
D, where do you come up with this shit?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Could try this...

[attachment=417126:redenecksled.jpg][/b]
Don't laugh, that might be how Berry has to roll in the future if he don't get a truck real soon. I have heard that James is tired of being the sole truck owner/ driver and has said that he is done towing Berry's sled all over the state and it is time for him to pony up or put it on the roof of the Jetta!! LOL But it could of been the beer talking too!! :whistle:

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
............... kick the two all the way out to the sides and stuff the third on in backwards?[/b]
I know several people have said they had tire and axle problems doing this, and rightfully so, but my wife put three on a two-place like this for two years before we met, and didn't have a single problem. 01 Aluminum Sled Bed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The number of sleds should make no difference. Weight is the issue. If your within the spec of the axle an tire, it shouldn't care.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The number of sleds should make no difference. Weight is the issue. If your within the spec of the axle an tire, it shouldn't care.[/b]

I just called and found out the pay load for the trailer is 1800lbs so 3 sleds should be ok, have to check on the tires.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
The number of sleds should make no difference. Weight is the issue. If your within the spec of the axle an tire, it shouldn't care.[/b]

Your correct, its just that most two place trailers come mounted with "C" load range tires, which can't handle the weight load of 3 modern sleds alone much less the weight of the trailer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your correct, its just that most two place trailers come mounted with "C" load range tires, which can't handle the weight load of 3 modern sleds alone much less the weight of the trailer.[/b]

Bob,

Will the tire actually show "C" on the outside of it?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I just called and found out the pay load for the trailer is 1800lbs so 3 sleds should be ok, have to check on the tires.[/b]
Your probably going to be pretty close on that weight with 3 sleds on there. Especially coming back home with the extra 100 lbs of snow in each one.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Bob,

Will the tire actually show "C" on the outside of it?[/b]

The tire should have its load range "number or letter" as well as the actual load in LBS on the side wall of the tire.

Most tire MFRS recommend that you have a 20% margin of safety over and above the actual weight your carrying on the trailer tires. That means if you total load on the tires, = weight of trailer and stuff on the trailer, is 1000 LBS, your tires should have a combined weight carrying ability of at least 1200 LBS.

Your average sled is gonna weight at least 600 + LBS with fuel in it, so 3 sleds will put you right at the max loading of your trailer axles. Most "c" range tires have a weight rating of around 800-900 LBS each, which would put your total carrying ability at 1600 to 1800 LBS. Add in the weight of the trailer, I would guess your avg. alum two place tilt to be at least 600 LBS and you have already reached your max tire loading without even considering the need for the safety margin.

So you can see where you are quickly approaching a recipe for disaster while towing down the freeway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes Bob brings up something that people overlook sometimes is adding the weight of the trailer to that also. I know last year my 2-place Karavan was 600 lbs and basically with two sleds on it you were hitting the max rated load for the tires.

Basically three sleds+trailer your looking around 2400lbs +/- 100

I personally would not pull that setup as described with the safety of yourself, your passangers and other motorists in mind. Of course there's people that have done this for hundreds of miles and have had no problems as with anything. Tires are rated at a certain number but that doesn't mean they can't handle more just the recommended value based on their extensive testing is rated at what's stamped on that tire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts