Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can ride in most conditions but this is too cold! I can't get any of my buddies to go with me! Anyone use hand warmers of any sort that work?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Here in Saskatchewan we ride with that cold.. But I'm REALLY careful. Sleds go like snot due to the dense air. But burn up quick too!!!

And NO handwarmer wil really work. Try Helly Hanson Glove liners!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I was in VT. a couple weeks ago for a week. (3rd week of Jan.) Every morning I woke up
to -30 to -35 F. I'd wait till at least -25 to go out. That's pretty cold considering now you're
on a sled adding 100mph windchill! But had to do it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
We ride in those temps quite often from -20 to -40F. I have an F7 but I use an old polaris Gore-Tex glove that is discontinued. I remove the poo logo though. The gloves in combo with my acerbis handguards really seem to do the trick. If it gets really cold though, -35 to -45F, generally the only thing that works is handle bar guantlets. Its like a big sock or mitten that fits all the way around the entire handlebars and you stick your entire glove/mitten inside to access brake and throttle. They work fantastic.

If you aren't experienced with riding in these temps, or are not familiar or prepared to deal with problems that may come up on the trail, be very careful. Riding this cold is risky business, and the slightest problem can quickly turn into a life or death situation. From sled starting, warm up, clothing selection, and riding style, everything changes and you need to be careful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ride in Vermont at that temp all the time. A month ago -25 at 6am. We went out all day, and the F7 handwarmers worked great. Also i have gone to the NEK and been out all day in -30. You can do it if you dress warm and keep moving on the sled

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rode last weekend in -15F and froze my face off with my SnoCross Helmet. Went for about 50 miles and then out it on the trailer. Too cold for me. But I have ridden in colder.

·
Registered
198 Posts
We ride in those temps. The coldest I've been out was -42F when we were heading out to the Gaspe' early in the morning. Problems- watch your face shield! They break very easily at those temps. We usually carry an extra in the bag. You don't go too far without one!! Electric shield is an absolute must. With it you can cover your face and not worry about fogging unless of course you have glasses in which case you've got a real problem. Layer up with polar fleece. Gauntlets for the hands are an absolute must at those temps the way we ride as we usually run steady all day for long miles. A space blanket works great if something does happen and you are stuck out. You can make a snow shelter with the blanket and keep quite comfortable and they don't take up much space. We were -30F this morning with the wind at 15-20 mph, still -15. Only the serious will be out in Northern Maine this weekend!!!!! Great trails for those that can take it and no traffic!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
was ridin in the stillwater area near my camp on horseshoe lake when it was -52F wasnt fun i tell ya that only went about 15 because windchill went through everyones suit who was wid me and we all had arctic cat coats and bibs on

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also starting the sled is a concern at these temps. The sleds themselves, F7's or otherwise start fine, but we always make sure to turn our clutches by hand to get the engine loosened up before pulling the recoil. You run a much larger chance of breaking the rope if the engine is too tight to spin.

You know it's cold when injection oil pours out of the bottle and starts piling up on top of itself like toothpaste inside the oil tank!

H

·
0 Posts
i ride in -25 to -30 degree weather all the time and the hand warmers work PERFECTLY!!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
One thing that is recommended is to add premix at 100 to 1 at extremely cold temps. I have never done it but it is in the manual. I guess the consistancy of the oil is a concern. I would think synthetic would overcome that problem but it is in the AC manual. Any riding in temps below -15F.

S

·
0 Posts
I draw the line at -27C After freezing my nose a few to many times, I bought this Smith nose piece from the Arctic Cat ATV Cataloge. It Works like a charm and also keeps the gogles from fogin up.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the same goggles and they don't fog but the holes in the lens make my eyes waterafter 40mph. I ended up putting tspe over them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts