Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went around Jay Peak from home today with Jane and a friend... Cold, started off at 5 above, right now it is 9 below. F7 ran great, and seemed to have even better power and response after cleaning and adjusting the APV valves and secondary clutch. Today I was getting big transfer and wheelies again..Sled is just unreal fast, but sometimes hard to keep straight when hitting it from a standing start, wants to go left most of the time.. Any thoughts about that?

Also, I have to say that this sled is easily the best handling sled I've ever ridden.. (If I haven't mentioned that lately) ;) :D B)

·
Registered
54 Posts
sometimes hard to keep straight when hitting it from a standing start, wants to go left most of the time..[/b]
Mine always seems to go right under full power ...... Must be something to it....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ZRT Guy@Jan 17 2003, 06:00 PM
sometimes hard to keep straight when hitting it from a standing start, wants to go left most of the time..
Mine always seems to go right under full power ...... Must be something to it....[/b][/quote]
I think there must be.. are your rear springs staggered? Mine are set the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Team Arctic@Jan 17 2003, 06:16 PM
Rob,
How's your pace compared to last year? Are you on track for 10K? Marc
about the same as last year, but I don't have as many big trips planned.. I will be hard to hit 10k again unless we keep up with 'the perfect winter'. So far so good.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think its the way you sit, Mine would pull right when racing so I would lean a bit to the left and the next time it would pull left. the track is so narrow it dont take much to lean to one side or the other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They are staggered but it has done this since it was new and springs were set 1,1. So that blows that theory out of the water. I was thinking that it must be an effect of torque, but seeing as our sleds pull in opposite directions theory #2 gets shot down also. I do find it curious that track alignment also "seems" to have an affect on track positon it the tunnel. Have you ever checked your ski alignment versus the edges of your track ?? Just another theory. A little further than I'm willing to go to solve the problem. It in reality is a very minor problem for me because there isn't too many places where I ride to really apply that much throttle safely. Anyone else experience this phenomenon ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by ZRT Guy@Jan 17 2003, 06:25 PM
They are staggered but it has done this since it was new and springs were set 1,1. So that blows that theory out of the water. I was thinking that it must be an effect of torque, but seeing as our sleds pull in opposite directions theory #2 gets shot down also. I do find it curious that track alignment also "seems" to have an affect on track positon it the tunnel. Have you ever checked your ski alignment versus the edges of your track ?? Just another theory. A little further than I'm willing to go to solve the problem. It in reality is a very minor problem for me because there isn't too many places where I ride to really apply that much throttle safely. Anyone else experience this phenomenon ???
yes, in fact i'm a stickler for track alignment so I know mine is centered. Also, mine has always wanted to go left since new regardless of any suspension settings.. Hmmmmm... maybe my left butt cheek is just heavier :wacko: :blink: :wacko:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Rob, Thats what nice about the screw limiter straps on the zr's. You can adjust one at a time so it will stay straight. I'm not sure what to do on the Firecats.

·
Registered
207 Posts
HI guys,

I typically lurk on theZR/ZL side but being as some of my friends have Firecats, I like to check out what is happening over here also. Regarding the posts about the Firecats pulling to one side or the other, I'm not sure, you may have already tried it, but some of the guys around here have been adding the B/M 3 and 4 wheel kits in the back of the suspension to help straighten out the straight line acceleration.
Hope this helps.

By the way, a big THANK YOU to Rob for setting up this awsome forum! Has helped make our snowless winter a little more bearable.

Kenzr, 02ZR800efi
Still waiting for snow in MN

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yah , there is probably more than a few people that are living vicariously through you guys because we have no freekin' snow in Minnesota... Jesus H Christ!! Whew, Thankyou. :(

R

·
0 Posts
Rob, I have had that pulling one way happen if the limiters are not even. Unfortunintly, we can't fine tune the limiters like the ZRs, but it may not be a bad thing to check.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi Rob
I rode at and around Jay Peak on the 18/19/20/21 and Island Pond
on the 17. I woud highly recommend VT to go rideing. The people
are very nice to the sleders and they are glad that you are there.
There is a little more snow south west of Jay. Rode on the 21
105 miles and we saw 2 sleds and 2 groomers al day. All the trails
were like glass. I will go back again.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Rob,
Just think, since your F7 has an accurate speedo this year. Your mileage will probably be about 10% lower than it was last year on your XC. 10000 miles this year would be like 11000 any past year.
Cat S.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rob, I think that it may be the same thing as mine does. On mine, it seems to lift enough, that the sled is riding on the back
of the suspension. When it hits a spot on the ground that is not level, it wants to wander to that side. My track is set correctly, and it would very regularly exhibit this problem. I have stopped it by just moving my butt a little more forward on the
seat. I don't think you have anything wrong, I just think you may be experiencing the same phenomenon as I did. B)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Same problem as Rob, left hand pull. Usually have to check up two times to straighten it out on a hard acceleration. If not, I'm going over the back or into something else. More than a little disconcerning...
But still a blast!

·
Registered
57 Posts
HEY ROB, Thanks for this website its great and you seem to0 be a smart guy that knows his sleds. Now back to your problem I've been ridding cats for years when their fast (have the power) they all seemed to pull to one side or the other. Just compensate for it thats what works for me most of the time. Adds to the fun when you line up, good excuse for put a ski donw on someones hood. Make like there was nothing you could do it adds injury to the insult when you hand them a can of whoop ass. Keep up the good work by the way I got those power pro nice ski thanks again.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i love my F7 but best handling ever? Hmmm - out of the box set up was drag racing style... with no skis on ground coming out of corners or off the start. Pushy / ski lift in corners......

once it warms up it get back to tweaking but i cant see how anyone thinks its the best handling ever

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by cmscat50@Jan 23 2003, 10:49 AM
Rob,
Just think, since your F7 has an accurate speedo this year. Your mileage will probably be about 10% lower than it was last year on your XC. 10000 miles this year would be like 11000 any past year.
Cat S.
the "odometer" part of the speedo is not changed.. I know that because when I ride with Jane and her XC6, we can ride side by side, and my speedo consistantly says 5-10mph lower (we have communicators), but at the end of the day the trip mileage on the odomenter is within a few miles of one another.

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Rob,
Although your track may be 'perfectly' aligned, the rest of the sled probably isn't - due to manufacturing variations. Sleds {all brands} are manufactured poorly when it comes to 'alignment' (I'm in the auto industry and not even 2 cars come down the line exactly the same)

Tighten the track slightly on the side that it is pulling toward. Should take care of the problem. (This always worked on my ZR's and ZRT's)

Hope to get out to St. J soon! Maybe we can meet at {insert name here because I forgot the place} again :)

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts