Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2023 VR1 137 BST / 2022 XCR 136 850
7,044 Posts
My dealer (Troy Powersports) has 14 brand new 22's and a few 23's in stock. (and 1 2023 Ski Doo)
Big change from what we've seen over the last couple of years! It also looks like people aren't immediately grabbing summer inventory like they have been in the last few years. Unfortunately that's a huge indication of a slowing economy.
rememeber alot of 22s just got delivered !

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
22s wont have the mark up 23s do , easy sell ......
I dont know ... I just looked at 3 22 850 SBA sitting on a dealer floor. One was an XC. Only one had 7s in the dash . They where showing a prices from 17k - 18k+ for them. I know for sure that was without tax prep and other fees that they may have on top of that! Stupid prices for a year old sled now. I paid a nice bit less then that for my SBA snowcheck only premium loaded sled out the door with 4 yr warranty.... I hope those sleds sit there but someone will buy them this fall and have a new sled instead off waiting on a snowcheck like some .

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Agree with the above post.
Also, sleds are more reliable and have greater longevity than they did years ago.
There is a difference between needing a new sled and wanting a new sled.
Many consumers, myself included, refuse to be taken advantage of, and will not pay ‘Covid’ pricing.
When the buyer and seller relationship returns to an equitable status, I will be buying again.
I feel the same, not paying Covid bs prices for sleds. Especially when one low snow season and slowing economy could tank prices. I will wait for that to happen.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Sled prices are complete insane right now. Will be interesting how many snowcheck orders don’t get picked up. Maybe by January sleds will be getting heavily discounted like the good old days. Those switchback xc which is a cheapened up assault are almost 18k who is going to spend that it’s ridiculous

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Agree with the above post.
Also, sleds are more reliable and have greater longevity than they did years ago.
There is a difference between needing a new sled and wanting a new sled.
Many consumers, myself included, refuse to be taken advantage of, and will not pay ‘Covid’ pricing.
When the buyer and seller relationship returns to an equitable status, I will be buying again.
I dont know about the reliability statement.I work on sleds every day and Id have to say that the sleds of the late 90s to mid 2000s were probably far more reliable than the new stuff being built today.
I guess Im open to suggestion on what is more reliable but nothing immediately comes to mind.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy XC 650 137...2017 Ski-Doo renegade 900...
208 Posts
I dont know about the reliability statement.I work on sleds every day and Id have to say that the sleds of the late 90s to mid 2000s were probably far more reliable than the new stuff being built today.
I guess Im open to suggestion on what is more reliable but nothing immediately comes to mind.
I think you're right I had both Doo and Polaris during the '90s and never had to walk home never worried about it breaking down... And the gas was a lot different also...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My dealer is showing a 23 SB XC 850 in stock. They also still have a 2020 Indy 800 XCR for only $15k otd. And five 2022 snowchecks that people must have backed out of. There really isn't much there... 8 total sleds for two dealer locations.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,087 Posts
Another factor is that some places a great season last year, many other places had a "bust". Nothing gets buyers excited like having a couple good snow seasons. My dealer is still selling every SxS, ATV and Slingshot he can get his hands on.
I think you've forgotten about the adventures with the Ducati ignition stuff Polaris used in the late 90's and early 00's. Then there were the broken exhaust valves and crank issues in the big block twins. True that the 500/600 domestic engines were pretty bulletproof. I think that overall the new stuff is more reliable and less troublesome. I've routinely put 8-10K miles on each of the sleds I've owned since '09. On those older sleds back in the day, put on that many miles and you would have the chassis falling apart, the engine needing a full rebuild, etc. Yes, I've had to do some repairs on my newer stuff and one in particular had a couple trips back to the dealer (under warranty) to deal with a jackshaft bearing. For the rest of them, it was basically planned maintenance and taking care of the "known" items that need to be done around a certain number of miles. Now that isn't to say that there aren't some "problem child" new sleds out there. Modern stuff has gotten complex enough that sometimes dealers (and others) have trouble fixing them when something goes wrong. Could say the same about modern cars and trucks too.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Another factor is that some places a great season last year, many other places had a "bust". Nothing gets buyers excited like having a couple good snow seasons. My dealer is still selling every SxS, ATV and Slingshot he can get his hands on.

I think you've forgotten about the adventures with the Ducati ignition stuff Polaris used in the late 90's and early 00's. Then there were the broken exhaust valves and crank issues in the big block twins. True that the 500/600 domestic engines were pretty bulletproof. I think that overall the new stuff is more reliable and less troublesome. I've routinely put 8-10K miles on each of the sleds I've owned since '09. On those older sleds back in the day, put on that many miles and you would have the chassis falling apart, the engine needing a full rebuild, etc. Yes, I've had to do some repairs on my newer stuff and one in particular had a couple trips back to the dealer (under warranty) to deal with a jackshaft bearing. For the rest of them, it was basically planned maintenance and taking care of the "known" items that need to be done around a certain number of miles. Now that isn't to say that there aren't some "problem child" new sleds out there. Modern stuff has gotten complex enough that sometimes dealers (and others) have trouble fixing them when something goes wrong. Could say the same about modern cars and trucks too.
Well, I work on sleds every day, have my own digital wrench,etcFrom what Ive seen over my 48 years of riding sleds and working on them Im standing by my statement.Im pretty sure anybody that wrenches for a living would also support it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know the bearing issues are no better now than they were on the Edge.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
Sorry, I should have said Drive line bearings.
No worries. Drive line bearings seem to last with just a little bit of preventative maintenance. I work on a handful of sleds a year and some are just completely shot. Others you can tell have been maintained.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XC 850 SwitchBack 146
1,956 Posts
No worries. Drive line bearings seem to last with just a little bit of preventative maintenance. I work on a handful of sleds a year and some are just completely shot. Others you can tell have been maintained.
I do most all of my own maintenance with exception of warranty work. Do you know of a video (You Tube?) that shows the way to do this on all of them?

21 - 40 of 112 Posts