Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run just a gear change? What was the out come??from 0-108MPH??I will when we get snow!!
Skydog

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I am going to try it, just haven't gotten the chance to change yet. I will let you know when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I will know more on this after today. I put about 75 miles on with stock gearing and a DP clutch kit and now have the 23/40 gearing in. I am going up to the lake this afternoon and I will post results later tonight or tomorrow. I will be comparing to a RX-1, another F7 and the Speedo. I saw 111-113 with the stock gearing in about 1500-2000 ft with a rolling start.

The clutched RX-1 is faster through out the runs but I am having a very hard time hooking up, even with the 170 1.25 studs. I think the double backer set up is not optimum for shallow snow or bare ice. The studs seem to not penetrate well. The other F7 has 140 (give or take a few) ice picks in the 5/8 lug camo speed track. This sled is unreal to 110 and pulled 118 in the same distance. He has stock clutching and 23/40 gearing.

Conditions on this lake have not changed in over a week so this will be a good comparison.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just got back from the lake and had some interesting results. The RX-1 was still faster than me in midrange. Hook up seems to be most of it because I spin violently, even from 50 MPH. This lake has very little snow and a lot of bare spots. We were a dead heat up top. I was able to pull better top speeds with the 23/40 but only by 1-2 MPH. I definitely don't think the 23/40 is worth it for the trails.

We measured off three distances 1000, 2000 and around 3000 feet. In my earlier post I was running farther than I thought. I made most of my runs at 1000' or 3000'. Today in 1000 feet with the 23/40 i was mainly seeing 99 to 100 mph on the speedo. One run I did see 101. I then tried something a bit different. I changed to the D&D kit helix and kept the stock springs with the 62 gr. DP weights. This made a noticable difference. Sled pulled much harder and I was consistantly pulling 101-102 in a thousand feet and seen 2 runs at 103 (out of 6). I may try and put both helix's on a CMM and get the exact angles so I know where I'm at. I think the sled would pull even harder on top if I went to 60 or 61 gr. weights and loosened the secondary a bit. The highest RPM I seen (visual not tach recall) was 7750. I was running all day in the middle setting. I weight about 210 without the snowmobile clothing. I have the front shocks all the way loose, the front of the rear all the way loose, the couple blocks removed and the rear suspension all the way loose.

·
Registered
772 Posts
i just put in the gears a day ago...now i will see what the differnce will be this weekend ...ill let u know..ive done nothing to my sled besides change to the 23-40 gears..i was lookin for more top end with same holeshot..i have a benchmark to go by from running my F7 stock for a while...ill let u know..!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just came back from a weekend of riding with my new gear set of 23/40

Most was high speed lake running ..the lakes had hardpack snow with very little loose snow on it.

I have DP clutch Kit, Carbon Tech Reeds, SW intake and the 23/40 gears

On the way north the sled only pulled 7400-7500 rpm and did see speedo speeds of 103-105...the temp was very cold -20 degrees Celcius....I felt the drop in RPM definately hindered my top end...I guess I was down 4-500 rpm that day...In a 6 mile lake run....yes 6 miles WOT the only sled that caught me was a 03 MXZ 800.

Now the next day, temp was the same and we lined up on the same 6 mile lake going south. There was about 8-10 sleds lined up for this one. At the start I took the holeshot on the field and never looked back...The sled ran 7900-7950 RPM but I was not able to read my speed due to sun glare and also being tucked under the winshield didnt help.

At the end of the 6 mile lake, I finished first 25-30 sleds ahead of the same MXZ800 that caught me the day before...a Viper third, probably another 20 sleds behind the MXZ then behind the viper came a 03 Pol 700 pro x another 10 sleds behind.

With this gear change I do notice a big loss in hole shot distance compared to other sleds I've run in the past and have taken a 5-6 sled jump on, now I'm down to a 2-3 lead the pull from there.

I dont know why I have the RPM loss the first day but will check the weights soon.

I did see 110 with the stock gears and clutch kit on a different river earlier and will have to take a run to the same stretch and compare to what I can get now with the gears and other goodies..

I will post the results in top end...

Hope this info is useful to someone...Maybe someone can help me out on why the RPM loss the one day..

I would guess if the motor was going to grenade , it would have done it either day...2 times 6 miles of WOT...It sounded good to me!

Captainkirk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have not tried that yet...going to test first to see where my rpm is running as is again...Will go from there..

Odd that it changed from day to day..

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GREAT INPUT!!!!!Just what i was looking for!!!I going to put 22-40 in mine and take out the 23-40!
Skydog

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I would be careful tightening the secondary to gain RPM. This can be a quick fix in the field but can cost you acceleration and top speed. Tight driven clutchs don't always like to shift out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts