Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
20,923 Posts
I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much, but from what I’ve seen so far, I expect an improvement. In performance and reliability/serviceability. If it turns out to be at least 50% as good as I think it could be, both my wife’s Riot, and mine will have them. I’ll have a lot of springs and weights for sale!!
Can’t wait to see your report on it.

·
Registered
20,923 Posts
I haven’t heard anything about turbo’s being shipped with team clutches. I think his comment was about previous year models and a hopeful bulletin or campaign to replace the team with new clutch. I do not expect new turbo sleds to have team clutches. I also do not expect to see a bulletin for previous year sleds either.
There was rumor at haydays the new clutch may not be used. However you have proof it’s not true

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree. Pretty cool what the roller in primary let’s you do. Never been able to run such tight belt deflection on traditional primary clutches. I truly believe it’s overlooked. It saves belt wear/flat spots a lot being able to run it that tight. I tend to pull from a dig, quite a bit. That’s hard on belts with looser defection.
I believe the ability to run a banjo tight belt with the self adjusting nature on the Cat clutch's is a huge advantage. The difference in throttle response and belt wear is VERY noticeable over the Yamaha set up. Belt problems on Cats have disappeared compared to other brands.
I wish I could run those clutches on my Sidewinder, but I would need to change the upper shaft out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm sorry if my post caused any confusion or fueled any rumors. I re-read my post and it was a bit unclear. The Arctic Cat Rep said all 2022s will have the new Adapt clutches but there will probably NOT be extras laying around (at least NOT right now) for guys with older models to buy and upgrade. As for the rumor that the 2022s would still have the TEAM clutches- that was born from some very, very early 2022s that were put together but NOT intended to be sold to the public. I would guess maybe engineering concepts or development type models for testing. Someone probably caught a glimpse of that or snuck a photo of it and the rumors started.

·
Registered
2022 ThunderCat EPS
319 Posts
I'm sorry if my post caused any confusion or fueled any rumors. I re-read my post and it was a bit unclear. The Arctic Cat Rep said all 2022s will have the new Adapt clutches but there will probably NOT be extras laying around (at least NOT right now) for guys with older models to buy and upgrade. As for the rumor that the 2022s would still have the TEAM clutches- that was born from some very, very early 2022s that were put together but NOT intended to be sold to the public. I would guess maybe engineering concepts or development type models for testing. Someone probably caught a glimpse of that or snuck a photo of it and the rumors started.
Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I believe the ability to run a banjo tight belt with the self adjusting nature on the Cat clutch's is a huge advantage. The difference in throttle response and belt wear is VERY noticeable over the Yamaha set up. Belt problems on Cats have disappeared compared to other brands.
I wish I could run those clutches on my Sidewinder, but I would need to change the upper shaft out.
Secondary shaft swap is pretty easy. A lot easier with the circlip in the chaincase vs the old style with the wedge collar and nut.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Secondary shaft swap is pretty easy. A lot easier with the circlip in the chaincase vs the old style with the wedge collar and nut.
True. I would need to purchase a secondary also.
I have yet to receive my Sidewinder yet though....
I do have a TAPP sitting on my shelf along with an old reconditioned RX-1 primary and a Pro-4 secondary.
I have not yet decided on the direction to go with the new sidewinder...what tune, gearing, clutching etc.

I would like to see how these new clutches pan out for future consideration though, very intriguing.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
WHY could you NOT put the Adapt on a Winder?,, and, why would you have to replace the secondary? If the Adapt has the hub bearing for Zero belt deflection, just make the belt tight by taking out all the deflection from the secondary?
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
314 Posts
WHY could you NOT put the Adapt on a Winder?,, and, why would you have to replace the secondary? If the Adapt has the hub bearing for Zero belt deflection, just make the belt tight by taking out all the deflection from the secondary?
Yamaha has a different secondary/bearing assy.that’s why a new upper shaft is needed ((you would also need a team secondary ) if using the ADAPT clutch

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Somebody please explain to me what the "different secondary/bearing assy." is, as I am apparently not familiar with what this part is or how the Yami secondary differs that greatly from a Cat/TEAM that makes the use of mixing clutches unusable.

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The initial offset may be different. I know the Yamaha primary has narrower sheave spacing and runs a narrower and I believe shorter belt. I have yet to measure the offset on the new clutches. I’ll ck it out when we get a turbo in.

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I believe folks put the TAPP primary and Cats and Yams. Don't know if it's the same clutch or not.
When you order a tapp you get one set up for cat or Yamaha. I believe the clutch is the same, it’s just spider shimming to accommodate different width belts. But I am not 100% on that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Cat belt is a bit longer and wider . 44 15/16 X 1 1/2 wide Yamaha belt is 44 3/8 X 1 13/32 wide.
Maybe with the new ADAPT clutch you could easily shim the spider to fit the Yamaha belt?
It will interesting to see what can be done with this new clutch.
I would love to have that 0 belt deflection ability. TECHMAPLES is right, it is a feature that gets overlooked that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That's why they called it "Rapid Reaction"! Guys should recall torque arms, torque links, torque suppressors, engine snubbers, etc.; there were many names used but, the purpose of installing them was to reduce engine torque twist that is evident especially under hard acceleration. Without some type of hold on the motor the twist would increase belt slack when the throttle is hammered and result in slippage and clutch bog. Add in the looser deflection that has to be set in to the non bearing set up and the conditions for slippage get worse The primary bearing set up allowing tight deflection combats that and yields better response aka...rapid reaction.

I like the concept of the bearing and why I am reluctant to go aftermarket and lose it. That being said, I don't want to be injured by an exploded clutch so hopefully this new unit has proper strength to hold up on boost.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just put on a cat drive clutch, use the cat belt, and remove all deflection settings on the yamaha secondary, problem solved. If you dont want a cat belt, get the next best aftermarket belt. Gates, dayco, whatever.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts