Hardcore Sledder banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
My fear is this. Had a mountain sled once and it was awesome at sidehilling and deep powder riding. Problem was could not do anything else. We would backcountry ride for a few hours take off to get lunch or fuel hit the trail and id be left in the snow dust. Rode like a tank couldnt steer and suspension was horrible. I know these new sleds have night and day better suspension than that sled which has got me wondering if i should try it again. In michigan technical offtrail riding its 100% the rider.
Curious what mountain sled you had ?
Because you mention about riding being 100% the rider. My buddy had a sks 155 with 2.6” track , I have an assault and he’s hard to keep up with on the trail. Rips that sled 80mph no problem and on tight trails

·
Registered
310 Posts
Exactly my point. When i was on that mountain sled my friends all had 128 trail sleds doing everything i was doing. Maybe you just returned the favor! That khaos is sick though!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Curious what mountain sled you had ?
Because you mention about riding being 100% the rider. My buddy had a sks 155 with 2.6” track , I have an assault and he’s hard to keep up with on the trail. Rips that sled 80mph no problem and on tight trails
2010 cat limited junk 151. Sks 155 also has a 41 inch ski stance. Khaos widest setting is 38

·
Registered
57 Posts
Exactly my point. When i was on that mountain sled my friends all had 128 trail sleds doing everything i was doing. Maybe you just returned the favor! That khaos is sick though!!
Well I can tell you from experience, my 146 assault cannot do what my buddies sks and freerides do. It will not side hill as easy and carry momentum across a hill , always wants to wash out or panel out. it will not climb in technical terrain with confidence, I find the wide footwells and boards really stops the sled from digging and gets held up. And it will not get on edge in low snow like their sled, this is my biggest beef with the sled , if we are riding in low snow , I have to always go wrong foot forward and more throttle then I should to get on edge to make a sharp turn or make a long sweeping turn. They both had assaults and switched to more mountain friendly sleds. And that’s why I’m switching, but going with the 2” track for the trails.

Hope that also helps.. I have plenty of videos my buddies took of me sidehilling and making tight carves to maneuver around open water or trees and you can see the struggle at times with the sled on edge.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well I can tell you from experience, my 146 assault cannot do what my buddies sks and freerides do. It will not side hill as easy and carry momentum across a hill , always wants to wash out or panel out. it will not climb in technical terrain with confidence, I find the wide footwells and boards really stops the sled from digging and gets held up. And it will not get on edge in low snow like their sled, this is my biggest beef with the sled , if we are riding in low snow , I have to always go wrong foot forward and more throttle then I should to get on edge to make a sharp turn or make a long sweeping turn. They both had assaults and switched to more mountain friendly sleds. And that’s why I’m switching, but going with the 2” track for the trails.

Hope that also helps.. I have plenty of videos my buddies took of me sidehilling and making tight carves to maneuver around open water or trees and you can see the struggle at times with the sled on edge.
Strong points. Thanks for input. Been in touch with my dealer and he said heard nothing of shortages so i got a couple more weeks to decide. Pretty sure every dealer has a different asigned set amount of sleds they get to order. Last time i talked to him i could of bought a boost he was allowed to sell only 1.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I agrre with all this, but the Assault was never meant to do what the sks or freeride sleds do. It is a true 50/50 chassis. It does trails great, and handle deep snow great. It's an excellent flatland/fishing/deep snow sled. You can compare them, but you can't expect it to truly compare to anything with RMK DNA, that are made for the steep, deep, sidehilling, highmarking, and carving for fun crowd. Haha, your "beef" isn't with the Assault, it's with the fact that you have the wrong sled. I for one, don't want Polaris to make SBA's more like RMK's. Good luck, hope everyone gets on the sled best for them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agrre with all this, but the Assault was never meant to do what the sks or freeride sleds do. It is a true 50/50 chassis. It does trails great, and handle deep snow great. It's an excellent flatland/fishing/deep snow sled. You can compare them, but you can't expect it to truly compare to anything with RMK DNA, that are made for the steep, deep, sidehilling, highmarking, and carving for fun crowd. Haha, your "beef" isn't with the Assault, it's with the fact that you have the wrong sled. I for one, don't want Polaris to make SBA's more like RMK's. Good luck, hope everyone gets on the sled best for them.
agreed , the assault isn’t gojng to handle like a rmk , and the assault isn’t going To handle like a vr1. But my beef is definitely with the assault , it would be a easy fix with a adjustable spindle or 39” front end like the skidoo backcountry. Then I believe it would be a true 50/50 crossover. The 42”lowered front suspension makes the assault a 70/30 trail , IMHO.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
agreed , the assault isn’t gojng to handle like a rmk , and the assault isn’t going To handle like a vr1. But my beef is definitely with the assault , it would be a easy fix with a adjustable spindle or 39” front end like the skidoo backcountry. Then I believe it would be a true 50/50 crossover. The 42”lowered front suspension makes the assault a 70/30 trail , IMHO.
Completely agree on all your points. That Assault is one stable sled and it's tough to get up on and stay on edge. I guess that is it's strength and it's weakness depending on what you are looking for. With an adjustable stance say down to about 39" I may still be deciding on what to get but the playfulness and flexibility, IMO, of that Khaos is something else. I think it's exactly what some of us wanted the Assault to be, just maybe a little better.

If you can't enjoy a ride on a trail while on the Khaos for a bit and have a blast putting a little body english into your turns AND THEN have an absolute great time once the boondocking starts, then the Khaos is not for you. The Assault is for sure, 100% a 70/30 trail sled at best. Again though that's not a bad thing, it's a matter of what you want and where you derive the most pleasure in where your ride takes you. I have no problem riding trails and will enjoy the time I spend on the Khaos on trail. I won't be as fast as some buddies but that just reduces the chance of me getting hurt....dam that speed does bad things sometimes. I can also guarantee that I will be grinning ear to ear every time I pull off the trail into something steep or deep or take a ride through the trees.

Good times ahead I tell ya!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
What would be a good alternative. Widening the front end of khaos and adding a snow flap assuming its possible? Narrowing the front end on the assault?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
What would be a good alternative. Widening the front end of khaos and adding a snow flap assuming its possible? Narrowing the front end on the assault?
I'm sure there will be many thoughts on this but IMO you have a much more versatile and able machine if you were to widen the front end of the Khaos. The Assault has trail DNA and even when narrowed it retains that DNA probably pushing it to the 60-40 range. The Khaos has the RMK DNA and with a different front end may move also to that 60-40 range with strong trail characteristics yet still a real blast off trail.

For me just the body panels, seat, running boards, and steering post of the Khaos are so much better and leave you with so many more benefits. I guess that;s where I find the RMK DNA to be a huge benefit on this machine.

After all that you know how I feel, I like the Khaos! But I also like the Assault. In a perfect world I think I would have an XCR and a 155 RMK. I think the Khaos gives a crossover/boondocker and trail rider more of that combination to do anything.

But in the end I would widen the Khaos. Really though you can't go wrong in the end with either decision as they are both still amazing sleds with some great characteristics......I just lean towards the Khaos.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm sure there will be many thoughts on this but IMO you have a much more versatile and able machine if you were to widen the front end of the Khaos. The Assault has trail DNA and even when narrowed it retains that DNA probably pushing it to the 60-40 range. The Khaos has the RMK DNA and with a different front end may move also to that 60-40 range with strong trail characteristics yet still a real blast off trail.

For me just the body panels, seat, running boards, and steering post of the Khaos are so much better and leave you with so many more benefits. I guess that;s where I find the RMK DNA to be a huge benefit on this machine.

After all that you know how I feel, I like the Khaos! But I also like the Assault. In a perfect world I think I would have an XCR and a 155 RMK. I think the Khaos gives a crossover/boondocker and trail rider more of that combination to do anything.

But in the end I would widen the Khaos. Really though you can't go wrong in the end with either decision as they are both still amazing sleds with some great characteristics......I just lean towards the Khaos.
Im doing a side by side comparison right now online. Looks like the running boards are the same width just have different cut outs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im doing a side by side comparison right now online. Looks like the running boards are the same width just have different cut outs.
The running boards on the assault flare out by the footwell and the footwell itself on the assault flare out really wide , I snapped off a piece of metal sidehilling. It’s the widest part of the sled.
As to your other question , originally I would say narrow the assault , but there’s so many things that I don’t like about the assault now off trail I would say the khoas with a 39” front end. But at the end of the day , the khoas can go to 38” wide ski stance and I put 200 miles on the backcountry skidoo set at 38” and it was fine. So maybe the khaos is gonna be perfect

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hate to burst anyones bubble, but the khaos 146 is a full blown rmk with a slightly shorter track rather than a crossover. Put it beside a 155 and the amount of track on the snow is very similar. While the narrower front end has been discussed lots here, the rmk rear skid will supply significantly more push compared to the igx with tipped rails.

I've owned rmks, sks, and sba. The rmk is a riot off-trail, but then again it is the deep snow thoroughbred. But looking back at all the riding and conditions i've been in the past 5 years, the rmk is excessively overcompensating in the flatlands. For a 50/50 rider, an assault with a narrower front end, grippers, and different handlebar setup would be ideal.

Really look over your riding conditions and buy the machine that provides the best experience over the greatest amount of time. Buying for that 1 perfect day dulls the experience for the other 99 because your constantly chasing the experience and dealing with compromise.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No bubbles were bursted in that post lol. I agree. Here in michigan rmks just arent needed. We laugh when we see them crusing the trails. Its just not fair all mountain guys get all the cool sleds. Khaos does share same track as assault and that might be good enough for me. Just need to find a snow flap

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad to see I"m not the only one with the same dilemna. I live where it's basically flat, 200' above sea level, and lots of trail to get to the fun boon docking in really deep snow. I decided a crossover was the way to go, but Polaris doesn't seen particularly interested. I intended on getting a Matryx SKS 146 next year, but we all know how that worked out. I picked up a 600 SBA for my wife this year, and I put some miles on it. It's a nice trail sled, but doesn't handle that well off trail. The front end is way too wide. (in my opinion)

So now I'm trying to decide between the Khoas 146, or the SBA 146. It pissed me off that I will have to drop another pile of money to change out the front end on the SBA in an attempt to get better off trail handling. I'm just worried about the trail manners of the Khaos since they can't be avoided for me. It's a 14 mile ride to where the fun starts. The comments on this thread have added some insight. I wish there was a way to try a Khaos in advance. The clock is ticking.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
They did bridge the gap pretty far between assault and full mountain sled. Theres just not enough info on this. No video of a test ride or even a walk around vid
Exactly right. Polaris says almost nothing about it, other than a couple sentence sales pitch. It isn't listed under crossover sleds, so it doesn't appear that was their intent. They threw in the towel on that segment by killing off the SKS in my opinion. They conceded the market to Ski-Doo.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Exactly right. Polaris says almost nothing about it, other than a couple sentence sales pitch. It isn't listed under crossover sleds, so it doesn't appear that was their intent. They threw in the towel on that segment by killing off the SKS in my opinion. They conceded the market to Ski-Doo.
For sure Khaos is competing with the freeride. Seems like giving the assault an adjustable front end would of made the most sense getting rid of sks. My dealer had a brand new sks 146 in the showroom last week. Seen it in the back of someones truck yesterday. Hard to believe sales are down on that sled. Been in the 50s here for a couple weeks most dealers already moved most sleds out of the showroom

·
Registered
19SKS850,17Assault815BCX.13BCX,to96XCR6;-} Six Star:Lodge At HWL
232 Posts
Buying an Assault and narrowing it up would be the best, you gain alot better suspension and snow flap. Who really needs a cut tunnel in areas that dont get snow like out west does? The 2017 SBA I had with Zbroz 39 front end was very complete.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Has anyone tried offset spindles on a SBA? Mtn Side Products make some as well as ZRP. Claim to narrow it up by 2" total. I was going to try a set on my 17 Assault this year but never got around to it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone tried offset spindles on a SBA? Mtn Side Products make some as well as ZRP. Claim to narrow it up by 2" total. I was going to try a set on my 17 Assault this year but never got around to it.
I’ve tried the offset spindle , they do make a slight difference but I found it’s like putting tape on a water leak , it don’t really fix the problem. Helps to get on edge a little easier but not stay on edge or sidehill any easier.

141 - 160 of 197 Posts