Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is not a Matryx RMK section yet I am posting here.

Had an amazing morning as I was able to take a 30 min test ride on a Polaris Matrix Khaos Slash 146. Wow, that's a mouthful!!

I really didn't get to test it in any decent conditions. Unfortunately it was mostly windblown melted and refrozen wind drifts and hardpack so please take all of my thoughts with a grain of salt. I did find a wee bit of fluff around some trees and the crust was still hard enough in other areas to really hook up the 2.6" track.

Now my thoughts.....this THING is insane!!! Probably what you all expected!!

What I liked:
1. The power seemed unlimited! Squeeze the flipper and you are gone. There didn't seem to be any end to the usable power. My forearms were spent after this ride and I wasn't out terribly long. A quick squeeze of the throttle and the skis are up. Squeeze a little longer and you are standing that nose straight up and holding on tight. It pulls like a freight train and doesn't let up until you do.

2. I didn't have a chance to set up the suspension at all but i wasn't disappointed with how it handled blasting through the field and hitting all the crusted up lips and finger drifts. Probably moving about 45 mph and never felt like I was getting bucked around or beat up.

3. With the low bars (options at configuration are low, med and high adding 1" with each increment) it felt like a reasonable combination for stand-up or sit-down riding but at my height (6'1") I may opt for the med height. All in all over my short ride I found them to be quite comfortable and functional.

4. Seat was quite comfy for a mountain set up. Firm enough to take the bumps but soft enough to be comfortable.

5. I loved all the extra room for my knees and the additional room up front. Standing up or sitting I felt like I had the room to move where I needed to be to command control of this sled.

6. It was simply light and wanted to move, most of the time it felt like a thoroughbred horse just itching to break the reins and go!

7. 7S display is so awesome with it's endless supply of usable information and settings. I design control systems and user interfaces for a living so I love this stuff. Polaris did a great job of this unit making it very user configurable yet maintaining its functionality and keeping it simple.

What I didn't like:
1. The 2" track may be a little better but this will not be a hardpack machine with the 2.6" track, (No shit....lol) even with the little bit of additional cooling on the 146 version. Ripping the fields it started to heat up pretty quick. I noticed at one point it hit 165 and I quickly found some snow about 1' deep that i managed to break the crust on. Temp quickly came down to 120 ish. When travelling back I managed to stay in some snow a little softer (little softer 6" finger drifts along a fence line combined with crusty hardpack) and it ran in that 135 range. Scratchers may make a big difference but untested on my ride.

2. Same thing I liked above is one of the things that I found challenging. This thing has gobs of power! My ride may have been a little more pleasurable if I had the opportunity to set up the suspension though as I would like to keep the skis down a hair more. Maybe tighten up the limiter strap and change the rear shock settings a bit. But again I am looking at this being a flatland field/forest crossover so I still want a bit of ski lift.

3. Clutch engagement was not smooth. Squeeze the flipper a bit and nothing, squeeze a bit more and it engaged with a lurch that surprised me at first. Almost like popping the clutch a bit on dirt bike. Probably something that I could get used to but I would never enjoy that aspect of the sleds clutch engagement. Not sure if this could be adjusted out in some way or not as I have never had to deal with it.

Again, these comments are my thoughts from a short ride in crappy conditions but I thought some of you may be interested before you snow check. I realise this is not a trail sled nor a prairie sled and is designed for better and deeper snow conditions than what I had the opportunity to test it in. I'm hoping though that some thoughts and feedback is better than nothing for those of you considering adding this machine to your collection.

Sorry but there was just no real good opportunity to get any sort of idea on the real trail manners of this sled. I know for me that I ride a trail to get to deeper snow so with the 2" track I would have a blast on or off trail with this sled as long as I could keep the temps down.

Final thoughts.....the 650 may be enough with this sled based on the gearing, the personality and the application. Basically as a flatland deepsnow crossover the 650 may just fit a perfect niche for a lot of riders.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
noticed at one point it hit 165 and I quickly found some snow about 1' deep that i managed to break the crust on. Temp quickly came down to 120 ish. When travelling back I managed to stay in some snow a little softer (little softer 6" finger drifts along a fence line combined with crusty hardpack) and it ran in that 135 range

I was surprised to see it hitting 165 and even 170 across a fairly frozen field though. There was some snow but generally packed hard with a crust. Like I said when I rode tthe fence line on the way back it maintained a healthier temp.

So during the break-in period what should a person expect to see for an operating temp range on this 850? Essentially i'm trying to figure out is if I use this as a trail and off trail boondocker in the prairies will I be able to keep it cool enough on trail and be able to run it into late winter/early spring.

Following break-in will it run a bit cooler once things loosen up a hair? I would like to be able to ride a trail with the 2" track and not see anything above 150 even on an icy trail with scratchers down.

Still considering this sled but unsure on the proper operating temp range. Any input based on other sleds and other experience with the new 850's?

This link says the warning light comes on at 185 with WOT and 201 during idle.

·
Registered
19SKS850,17Assault815BCX.13BCX,to96XCR6;-} Six Star:Lodge At HWL
232 Posts
If your not in snow its going to get warm, there is no snow flap. Polaris has already stated you will need scratchers. Also it will run a higher temp than an Sks850. Would really like to order this sled but its not going to do what I want it to do. Cant imagine a hardpacked morning trying to get to certain areas via groomers. Seems like a pia. Bummer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If your not in snow its going to get warm, there is no snow flap
Wonder if there will be an aftermarket snow flap early next year....my guess is yes.....or at least I hope so.
With a snow flap i'm thinking it may run a better temp.

Actually looks like the RMK Matryx Khaos snow flap will fit the slash but may have to do some mods to change the angle to stop it from getting in the track due to the shorter tunnel length.

Polaris has already stated you will need scratchers.
Where can I find this statement? Not challenging you at all, I really do want to know.

Cant imagine a hardpacked morning trying to get to certain areas via groomers. Seems like a pia. Bummer.
Agreed if running the 2.6" track but what about the 2"? Why did they even make a 2" as an option if this thing can't handle a properly groomed trail? Not talking about an ice run here but some decent corduroy. Don't get me wrong, I know a 2" is not a trail track but it really isn't a mountain track these days either.

Just looking to keep the conversation going and learn/share as much as possible about this new sled. There are a lot of us trying to figure this thing out and if it will work in our particular riding areas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wonder if there will be an aftermarket snow flap early next year....my guess is yes.....or at least I hope so.

Where can I find this statement? Not challenging you at all, I really do want to know.
These sleds come with scratchers.

Agreed if running the 2.6" track but what about the 2"? Why did they even make a 2" as an option if this thing can't handle a properly groomed trail? Not talking about an ice run here but some decent corduroy. Don't get me wrong, I know a 2" is not a trail track but it really isn't a mountain track these days either.
A Polaris ambassador put 100 miles on the sled on trails and said it didn’t heat , with the 2” track. Not saying that it won’t heat , and not saying that it’s a trail sled , but I can’t imagine it overheating with scratchers and a 2” on a groomed trail .

Just looking to keep the conversation going and learn/share as much as possible about this new sled. There are a lot of us trying to figure this thing out and if it will work in our particular riding areas.

·
Registered
2022 SBA 850
350 Posts
Can't wait to get this sled. Exactly what I've been waiting for! Couldn't ever get on board with the SKS because of the bars/tank. Sold my 155 Khaos and this will be on order.

Also, it'll cool just fine.. Talked to people who have spent time on these, and everyone says the same thing. No concern.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wh
Can't wait to get this sled. Exactly what I've been waiting for! Couldn't ever get on board with the SKS because of the bars/tank. Sold my 155 Khaos and this will be on order.

Also, it'll cool just fine.. Talked to people who have spent time on these, and everyone says the same thing. No concern.
What about the bars/tank didn’t you like on the sks ?
how was the khoas 155? Major difference between that and the rmk 155? Just the centre shock?

·
Registered
2022 SBA 850
350 Posts
Wh

What about the bars/tank didn’t you like on the sks ?
how was the khoas 155? Major difference between that and the rmk 155? Just the centre shock?
The SKS 146 had the wide trail tank and seat, as well as the lay down steering post and handlebars.. Just wasn't a fan of it for any off trail, not as comfortable as the RMK setup IMO. Khaos has the velocity shocks and different rail profile versus the Pro RMK. The 155" was extremely playful, the new Slash 146 will be insane.

·
Registered
2022 SBA 850
350 Posts
Are you going with the 2” or 2.6?
Leaning towards 2.6". I don't think I'll be making it out west this year, but just incase I want the 2.6. I WILL be using this sled as a crossover, aside from everyone saying it's not capable. I rode some trails with my 155 mainly to get it out of break-in.. Set the suspension to 38", stiffened up the IFS, scratchers down (never saw over 105*F), it wasn't nearly as bad as people think it is. Not bad enough for me to choose an Assault, at least.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya I keep going back and forth. I will be using it as a crossover as well. With scratchers I think it’ll be fine. I’m kinda leaning towards the 2”
What color combo you doing? I think I’m going all black with orange rails/spindles

·
Registered
2022 SBA 850
350 Posts
I'm going blacked out. I can't find any pictures at the moment but the titanium color on the foils is much lighter than what the builder shows. It looks awesome.

·
Registered
19SKS850,17Assault815BCX.13BCX,to96XCR6;-} Six Star:Lodge At HWL
232 Posts

Actually looks like the RMK Matryx Khaos snow flap will fit the slash but may have to do some mods to change the angle to stop it from getting in the track due to the shorter tunnel length.
View attachment 2119136

View attachment 2119137

I will look for info where I read about scratchers. 2in track will be perfect for what I would want, would prefer 2.25 but not a game changer. And looks like the snow flap from its big brother will do the trick. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2022 SBA 850
350 Posts
I will look for info where I read about scratchers. 2in track will be perfect for what I would want, would prefer 2.25 but not a game changer. And looks like the snow flap from its big brother will do the trick. Problem solved.
Was thinking the same on the flap. May just need to run a strap to the bumper to keep it from getting sucked in though

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was also wishing it had the 2.25 track from the SKS 146. That’s a nice track. May change it out. Try and find a good price on one

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone know the length of the tunnel from the seat to the heat light ? I have a 146 assault now and wondering how much tunnel space for storage I will lose with the khaos 146.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if Brett Turcotte can ride a 2021 SBA (with an RMK front end adder) maybe the SBA 850 2" is the way to go?

Again still trying to decide between the Matryx Khaos 146 and the SBA 146.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So if Brett Turcotte can ride a 2021 SBA (with an RMK front end adder) maybe the SBA 850 2" is the way to go?

Again still trying to decide between the Matryx Khaos 146 and the SBA 146.
Absolutely , I’m constantly going back and forth. Here’s my opinion , he using that sled as mainly a jump sled and screwing around.
I have the same assault without the front end narrowed , I find the trail chassis starting to get noticeable when trying to side hill ( footwell sticks out wide) , and the foot wells full full of powder and gets into the clutch area and slips the belt at times when side hilling. Those are two biggest beefs with the assault. It does need to be narrower and higher , it’s pushes a lot of pow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the same assault without the front end narrowed , I find the trail chassis starting to get noticeable when trying to side hill ( footwell sticks out wide) , and the foot wells full full of powder and gets into the clutch area and slips the belt at times when side hilling. Those are two biggest beefs with the assault. It does need to be narrower and higher , it’s pushes a lot of pow.
So then based on this your opinion sounds like Khaos Slash wins vs SBA! That correct?

1 - 20 of 197 Posts