Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Indy VR1 850 137
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled has been out for over a month now sitting at dealer with the driveshaft along with jackshaft breaking failed at 4,000 miles. Polaris is covering it under warranty but I lost over a month of prime riding. This also happened on my 2019 Assault 850 2 years ago. Just thought 850 polaris owner's would like to know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hear ya, me and my buddy have vr1 850 also, both sleds experienced that failure. Mine at 3860 miles and his at 2900 miles back in early feb. Luckily they got Japanese bearings at our dealer and have replaced since with no further issues...... yet (fingers crossed). Definitely an issue that needs to be noted and we think it was a supply chain issue due to the c19.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,316 Posts
My sled has been out for over a month now sitting at dealer with the driveshaft along with jackshaft breaking failed at 4,000 miles. Polaris is covering it under warranty but I lost over a month of prime riding. This also happened on my 2019 Assault 850 2 years ago. Just thought 850 polaris owner's would like to know.
Were all four bearings failed by the time you caught it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya, me and my buddy have vr1 850 also, both sleds experienced that failure. Mine at 3860 miles and his at 2900 miles back in early feb. Luckily they got Japanese bearings at our dealer and have replaced since with no further issues...... yet (fingers crossed). Definitely an issue that needs to be noted and we think it was a supply chain issue due to the c19.
There is no jackshafts available anywhere in United States or Canada, Polaris has them on a to be made list who knows when. Dealer is saying because of Covid. Dealer is putting on one with 300 miles on it from a wrecked 2021 sled for the time being.

·
Registered
2021 Indy XC 650
86 Posts
My 650 Launch also lost the bearing and the jack shaft broke in two and had to towed by our other 650. Damage also done to both clutches, the primary was replaced. The dealer smoothed out the secondary and a new secondary is on back order . All repaired and yesterday put on 150 “trouble free miles” . As a side note they warrantied the drive belt on the tow sled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 650 Launch also lost the bearing and the jack shaft broke in two and had to towed by our other 650. Damage also done to both clutches, the primary was replaced. The dealer smoothed out the secondary and a new secondary is on back order . All repaired and yesterday put on 150 “trouble free miles” . As a side note they warrantied the drive belt on the tow sled.
Seems like Polaris is having some issues with this looks like its on both the 650 and 850 then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2013 indy lost its driveshaft bearing at 3000 miles and my 2014 indy lost the driveshaft bearing at 5000 miles.

The grease zerk does nothing I think that’s just the life of the polaris bearing.

Only way I could see preventing it would be to try to pick the dust
Seal out without damaging it and pack some new grease in with your finger and replace dust seal yearly.

Seems like a pain to do that and wish they could just put a better bearing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Was any maintenance done on the bearings in 4000 miles?Sounds like a lot of miles not to add some grease or replace.Im not sure what the recommended service interval is for those but they arent going to last very long without any service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same thing happened in 18 to my wife's 2017 Pro S 600. We lost the last 4 weeks of the season as parts weren't available in time. Under warranty dealer replaced all 4 bearings in the drive and jack shafts, chain case cover plus a new drive shaft that they discovered was not "true" when they reinstalled the new bearings and the old drive shaft in the chain case. Really too bad Polaris is not having these replacement parts readily available as I think enough people have demonstrated they are having the same type of problem. Its understandable that this year there could be supply issue with Covid but still our season is so short we need these parts the same week there is a problem. Sucks when the same issue keeps returning year after year for a small number of riders.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,316 Posts
Was any maintenance done on the bearings in 4000 miles?Sounds like a lot of miles not to add some grease or replace.Im not sure what the recommended service interval is for those but they arent going to last very long without any service.
These are sealed bearings. There is no recommended service interval from Polaris.

Reactions: mattyw

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
These are sealed bearings. There is no recommended service interval from Polaris.

Sleeping Dragon said:
There is no recommended service interval to replace?
I just pull the dust seals off on the pto side and pack with grease every 2000 miles and pull the dust caps off completely on the chaincase side (inside the chaincase)when Im servicing these sleds.I have some newer sleds out there that have went 10,000 with no issues.If you arent going do any maintenance I would expect them to need replacement every 3000 miles or so.

1 - 20 of 462 Posts