Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this sled...2021 Riot X looks like a pretty badass boondock sled. It’s basically a High Country with the alpha suspension. The only gripe that I have is the 2.6” track. I’m a little hesitant that it’s too much lug for my riding.

I’m now typically riding UP off trail while putting some miles on riding to dinner and scenic stops.

What do you guys think?

It looks like it’s geared well with 9 tooth drivers and the 2.86 pitch track, it’s got scratchers, full length tunnel coolers, and a swaybar, also a 39”-41” stance.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I picked up a 19 high country last year and love it but I think I may have to trade it for this new x. I love the idea. Wish they'd give at least the option of no e start. I'd even consider a 6000 if they offer one. I like the charcoal and red. 2.6 might be much for trail but I would really try to limit trail time strictly to getting off trail.
I'd plan on it being a dedicated boondock sled that can go down a trail. Not a real crossover. I'm excited about it!
Did you see how beefy those running boards are?
It's on the ascender chassis, the narrow body work should be cool. I wonder if the drop and roll chaincase will be a liability in conditions I ride where might be running over stuff sometimes

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I picked up a 19 high country last year and love it but I think I may have to trade it for this new x. I love the idea. Wish they'd give at least the option of no e start. I'd even consider a 6000 if they offer one. I like the charcoal and red. 2.6 might be much for trail but I would really try to limit trail time strictly to getting off trail.
I'd plan on it being a dedicated boondock sled that can go down a trail. Not a real crossover. I'm excited about it!
It's on the ascender chassis, the narrow body work should be cool. I wonder if the drop and roll chaincase will be a liability in conditions I ride where might be running over stuff sometimes
do you have the ski's on your H/C at the wider or narrower setting?

saw a while back there's a couple companies that make chaincase protectors for the Ascender chassis you could swap from yours to a new sled

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I think this sled...2021 Riot X looks like a pretty badass boondock sled. It’s basically a High Country with the alpha suspension. The only gripe that I have is the 2.6” track. I’m a little hesitant that it’s too much lug for my riding.

I’m now typically riding UP off trail while putting some miles on riding to dinner and scenic stops.

What do you guys think?

It looks like it’s geared well with 9 tooth drivers and the 2.86 pitch track, it’s got scratchers, full length tunnel coolers, and a swaybar, also a 39”-41” stance.
I like the looks, I wanted to see the Alpha skid in the Riot (non X) with more normal gearing and the 1.6" track. I feel the mtn gearing and a 2.6 is too much for Michigan riding. I would be thinking hard if it was offered in standard Riot.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
do you have the ski's on your H/C at the wider or narrower setting?

saw a while back there's a couple companies that make chaincase protectors for the Ascender chassis you could swap from yours to a new sled
Skis are in the middle position. My 19 and the riots and X's up til now were not on the ascender platform and didn't have the skinny panels or dropped chaincase.
But if there is an aftermarket guard for it, that'd probably be on my list.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Riot X looks great! Are they advertising it as a 50/50 crossover? I think that's a stretch, even for my '19 high country. I'd love to take one for a ride with the monorail, although I don't forsee my high country getting sold anytime soon!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wonder if the mono-rail just did not perform well enough on the trail to go with a short lug and tall gearing so they just went to a more boondock track and gearing that can still do alright on the trail. It does look like it would be a blast and I would love to try one out.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I wonder if the mono-rail just did not perform well enough on the trail to go with a short lug and tall gearing so they just went to a more boondock track and gearing that can still do alright on the trail. It does look like it would be a blast and I would love to try one out.

I'm wondering the same thing or they didn't feel a 1.6" track was worth cost of developing. I would consider placing an order if it were available with crossover gearing and track, The X is really just a shore mtn sled IMO I don't think a 2.6 track on a hard trail would be much fun but A 1.6" studded with the Alpha skid :fistpump2:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The 2” track that comes on the blast alpha should fit? But it’s gonna ride like crap on anything but powder it’s a full mountain chassis and skid

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I don't think this x is intended to be a crossover. I don't even consider the h.c. or previous riot X a crossover, so can't see a monorail making that any different

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
The dropped chaincases are very vulnerable on the ascender chassis, we have grenaded a couple of them, but a good set of case guards solved that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will jump the gun on at 2021 Riot X. Have a 16 HC now with a 153x2.50 on her. Skis in the middle setting with the swaybar removed. Handles great off trail!!
Do you ride that much on trail? Curious how the 2.5 performs. I’m contemplating ordering one if we have a good winter this year. I just need something I can put a few miles on to go to dinner/boondock or ride to a scenic stop with buddies. I think my High Country is decent in trails. Not the fastest, but still plenty fun if you work it hard.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
I don't care what brand you cater for, I can't name a single riding buddy who wouldn't love to jump on a RIOT with an Alpha 1 suspension and see how it is.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do you ride that much on trail? Curious how the 2.5 performs. I’m contemplating ordering one if we have a good winter this year. I just need something I can put a few miles on to go to dinner/boondock or ride to a scenic stop with buddies. I think my High Country is decent in trails. Not the fastest, but still plenty fun if you work it hard.
I have had no complaints with it. I have the 2.5 Challenger Extreme. I do not per say ride a lot of trails. Usually try to keep it to a minimum. Ride the trails to go to the deep snow, lunch and gas. id say 20% on and 80% off. I am in the same boat... Long track it and dont back!! It is much more fun in the deeper snow

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/arcticcat.snow/photos/a.328392854356/10157858991619357/?type=3&theater

seems to be a mix of opinions based on geography on the Single or Dual Rails for the 'X' - if these are all pre-order, why not offer both and let the customer decide what they want? sure there's a few flatlanders that could rock the Alpha, but not everyone wants to learn to ride a bike again and the deepest lug you can get from the factory on the dual rail Riot is 1.6

the orange 'X' looks great, really like that scheme

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/arcticcat.snow/photos/a.328392854356/10157858991619357/?type=3&theater

seems to be a mix of opinions based on geography on the Single or Dual Rails for the 'X' - if these are all pre-order, why not offer both and let the customer decide what they want? sure there's a few flatlanders that could rock the Alpha, but not everyone wants to learn to ride a bike again and the deepest lug you can get from the factory on the dual rail Riot is 1.6

the orange 'X' looks great, really like that scheme
You could ask that same question for the mountain sleds. No two rsil sleds there anymore as if 2020. I think they're just limiting the number of models for now. I can say I wouldn't be interested in a dual rail X, but the alpha rail has me interested in upgrading.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
You could ask that same question for the mountain sleds. No two rsil sleds there anymore as if 2020. I think they're just limiting the number of models for now. I can say I wouldn't be interested in a dual rail X, but the alpha rail has me interested in upgrading.
Have seen a few comments regarding no M dual rail as well, have also heard some Poo & Doo riders converted (or tried) to Alpha skids. But, with the Alpha your track options are limited to one correct? Point being, with pre-order there's no guessing for them during build time, limit the toppings and make the burger per the customers order, or don't.

I know you could ride the single beam, but not everyone is you or has your experience right? I'd really like to try a sled with the single rail in the right environment just to see what it's like.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts