Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Polaris RMK 144 with 2 inch paddles and was wondering if I could add studs to the track or if I cant add studs then swap the track for a smaller paddled 144 track if there is one.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Im not aware of anybody that makes a stud that long commercially.It would be a minimum of 2.25” long.The chances of tear outs with that much stud leverage would be extremely high .
If this is a race only application that would be a different matter.Then Im sure you could have them custom made.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tough add to your 2inch series 4 track. My team mate and I used them all the time on the RMSHA circuit in the early 2000's. They work great on icy slopes and riding out the trail. We liked them for climbing over about anything, ice, rocks, wood etc. Boondocking in low snow conditions and spring snow when there is a lot of deadfall to cross over was always nice. We didn't use the carbide screws, we just simply went to the hardware store and bought regular hex screws the full length of the lug and used a cordless drill with just the bit attachment that fit the head of the screw perfectly. We could stud a track in minutes and pull and replace a damaged screw in no time flat. One should make sure you go full lug length screws and you sink them straight as you can or the lug will tear over time. Polaris makes it easy placement on your 144 track. Just sink a screw into every polaris star.

Note: this does add rotating weight to the track which you may notice the takeoff a bit slower that you may need to go to a different clutching spring/weight combo to adjust. totally up to you though.

Now to the difficulty of the series 4 2' 144 track part#5415692 looking at it, it does not look like it has the meat or what we referred to as "Towers" where Polaris typically places their star that we sank a screw into. There might be an exception to the very center of the lug where there is reinforcement of more material but not sure about the tip without looking at one in person. I think the screws would bust through the lug too easily. I have only been seeing the tracks designed to take lug screws in crossover models for several years now.

Office equipment Rectangle Office supplies Line Font

Here is the track your sled is listed as having.
Black Rectangle Black-and-white Font Automotive tire

Here is a track off a 2002 RMK 600 144 2'. forgive the pic but it is what I can find. Look at the lug closest and you can see the polaris star at the outer edge and center of the lug and it has more rubber to reinforce the screw. This track was ideal to use track lug screws on. You see this kind of design on crossover sleds anymore but not much on mountain sleds.

Gas Wood Auto part Machine Composite material

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,017 Posts
I mostly ride trail and there is a lot of conditions where I ride that is mainly all ice so I wanted to add studs to give more grip so I could get up hills
I'd swap tracks for something you can stud or for a pre studded ice track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a ice cobra 1.35 on a 17 assault i just bought. Sled only has 72 miles on it so it's as new as you could get without being new. Id be willing to sell it or possibly trade for your 2". I have a regular cobra 1.35 in the same barely used condition as well if you would rather have it and put picks in. If you're interested, send me your phone number in a pm and I'll give you a call.

Regular cobra pictured camoplast 5414013. The ice cobra is on the sled and I don't have a pic handy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,068 Posts
I mostly ride trail and there is a lot of conditions where I ride that is mainly all ice so I wanted to add studs to give more grip so I could get up hills
I'd agree with the other comments about swapping the track for something more suitable for studding. If you're mostly in frozen or icy conditions, having a 2" track isn't doing you much good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd agree with the other comments about swapping the track for something more suitable for studding. If you're mostly in frozen or icy conditions, having a 2" track isn't doing you much good.
The thing about that is I am thinking about riding deep powder with my buddy and also I am located in Maine and ride up around Eustis and the trails this past year have been really icy base with around 5 inches of powder

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,068 Posts
The thing about that is I am thinking about riding deep powder with my buddy and also I am located in Maine and ride up around Eustis and the trails this past year have been really icy base with around 5 inches of powder
Unless you're spending the bulk of your time off-trail, something in the 1 3/8" to 1 5/8" would be a decent compromise, yet still be reasonable to put some studs into it. I believe there are studs available from a couple sources for a 1.75" track, but that is about max you'll find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts