Hardcore Sledder banner

2021 850 REVISIONS

17K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  1fastpolaris 
#1 ·
Just wondering if Polaris has mentioned any updates for the 2021 850? I have searched around but haven't read anything conclusive.

#4 ·
Whnat exactly will this be? A better harness connector, or a sensor with the lead in fixed to it? Last January I bought one of the aftermarket connectors/short harness sold by a member here just in case . Never needed it.

#11 ·
Well the air box was changed for sure on the Matryx chassis as the air intakes do not face the driver any more, totally different design . But good point on the pipe, you would think there would need to be some changes to accommodate the new plastics?

#7 · (Edited)
here are the 2021 850 patriot changes
New ECU calibration - released late winter -
new water temp sensor and assembly
fully carbonized connecting rod. single slot on intake side of rod vs 2 holes in rod previously
reed assembly changed to 1 piece design vs previously 2 piece
EV actuator now non smart and controlled completely by ecu for faster reaction

#12 ·
can someone explain what they changed to the Exhaust valve actuator?

here are the 2021 850 patriot changes
New ECU calibration - released late winter -
new water temp sensor and assembly
fully carbonized connecting rod. single slot on intake side of rod vs 2 holes in rod previously
reed assembly changed to 1 piece design vs previously 2 piece
EV actuator now non smart and controlled completely by ecu for faster reaction

#8 ·
Not engine related, but still an update ... the engineering guys responsible for the suspension / shock calibrations identified issues with the 2020's (in particular, the XCR being "soft"). Per information from their team, some of this came from early break down of the oil, causing emulsification. For 2021, the manufacturing process will be enhanced to have them performing at their peak, without the premature oil breakdown.

#16 ·
I didn’t get to see the new matryx machines. Figured the intake changed, but I’m curious about the pipe as well. Any ambassador info?
Remember the 03 ProX sleds with the pipe change for the front suspension. Hurt power a bit, if I remembering correctly?
Yes if I remember right the pro-x 800 was way down, compared to the xc 800. Pro-x 800 was like 130hp or so.

#18 ·
When the needle is pushed in to check pressure your allowing pressure to escape off. Can’t check the pressure. Can only charge up to the 200psi. It’s a very small volume of gas that goes into the shock. It doesn’t take much loss to bleed it off. After you charge it to spec, check the press after you are done. It won’t be at spec.

#22 ·
I've found charge pressure to be "all over the place" in the WE shocks lately and always low. Back in the day, 200psi was the recommended pressure for all the Pro-X and IQ stuff and I set the regulator on my tank at 250psi because you always lose a little bit of pressure when you retract the filling needle. I really think a good portion of the issues guys have with WE shocks are due to low initial charge pressure. Most don't do a 500 mile oil change, so never correct the problem and end up running the entire season on "dead" shocks.

#24 ·
I've found charge pressure to be "all over the place" in the WE shocks lately and always low. Back in the day, 200psi was the recommended pressure for all the Pro-X and IQ stuff and I set the regulator on my tank at 250psi because you always lose a little bit of pressure when you retract the filling needle. I really think a good portion of the issues guys have with WE shocks are due to low initial charge pressure. Most don't do a 500 mile oil change, so never correct the problem and end up running the entire season on "dead" shocks.
Yes.. then the res piston gets hammered from bottoming out on big hits. Sometimes they blow out all together.

#27 ·
My 20 xcr was suspiciously soft. After checking pressure, all four shocks ranged from 110-120 psi. I know that there is some pressure loss when checking but it’s not that significant. I’m confident that my shocks were undercharged when they were installed at the factory. After setting all four at 200 psi my xcr finally rode and handled like a xcr should. I believe W/E has some quality control issues that I hope they start addressing.

#31 ·
Lol these guys are nuts! It would take that much fill the bourdon tube in the gauge if you wanted to check the pressure. Not accurate at all.

I leave the valve open when I remove the needle while charging. You gotta pull out fast!
Nuts ha.....All I know is that when I charged my shocks to 200 psi it was night and day from how the shocks performed from day one. With that being said I know my shocks were low. How much pressure is lost when inserting the needle I can’t answer that, but the proof is in how the shocks performed after the recharge Mr Ambassador.

#35 ·
From an outsider of shock rebuilding, this conversation seems very odd and somewhat lower confidence of proper shock rebuild ????

#41 ·
Could someone detail how I check and or charge my WE Velocity shocks? And what “tools” I need. i bought the sled with 700 miles on it and I’m sure they haven’t been checked or charged. Plan to own it for quite a while so need to be able to do this. Much appreciated.

#48 ·
Probably a dumb question but are the 2021 Velocity shocks on the matryx different from the 2020 Velocity shocks? I know they don't have all the adjustments of an xcr, but is the basic shock design the same or different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.