Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could someone detail how I check and or charge my WE Velocity shocks? And what “tools” I need. i bought the sled with 700 miles on it and I’m sure they haven’t been checked or charged. Plan to own it for quite a while so need to be able to do this. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
Could someone detail how I check and or charge my WE Velocity shocks? And what “tools” I need. i bought the sled with 700 miles on it and I’m sure they haven’t been checked or charged. Plan to own it for quite a while so need to be able to do this. Much appreciated.
Cheaper to just have the dealer do it , but it should be warrenty.

·
Administrator
20,699 Posts
Depends on the dealer .. most would just take the Polaris response of "normal wear item" and not even try to fight it. That said, good dealers would find a way to get it handled via warranty (with the $50 deductible, more than likely).

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts

You'll need to pull the shocks off to check them and at that point you may as well have them rebuilt. Being the sled has 700 miles just recharging them really is not the answer as there's an internal floating piston (IFP) that needs to be set at a curtain distance in the shock or reservoir before the shock is charged. The main tools and equipment to check them will be the needle assemble, gauge, nitrogen tank, regulator, hose and fittings. You'll be between $300 to $400 if you have to buy everything.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800, 2019 Indy 850, 2011 IQ Turbo
2,652 Posts
Sure. Reread the thread snd look at all the #’s posted.

Looks to me, we need a more consustent way to read psi. I’m not in shock building tebuilding. I hope someone who is, finds a better way.

Not crapping on anyone. Just shocked to see this.
Ok, makes sense. I think the most important takeaway is that having pressure that is too low is a problem. It is a problem because the shock will not work properly or fail if there isn't enough pressure in the shock to keep the o-rings and seals "activated". It really isn't a serious concern whether the shocks vary by 10 or even 20psi, as long as there is enough pressure to keep everything working. So, how much pressure is "enough" or "not enough"? That depends on who is riding and how. The easier the sled is ridden, the less pressure in the shocks you can get away with. If you're a "hair on fire" mogul masher, you'll need more pressure, likewise if you're on the heavier side. The recommended charge pressure of 150psi is "bare minimum" from my experience and I think a heavy or aggressive rider will have performance issues or see shocks fail at that pressure. Keep in mind that charge pressure will slowly leak away over time, so that 150psi initial pressure is only going to go down. As I mentioned previously, 200psi was the recommended pressure at one point and I run a bit more than that in my own shocks. I know the race guys were running even more pressure. I recall talking with the Fox guys years ago and some of their Sno-X guys were running 300psi+ in the old steel bodied Fox stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
KYB (Ski-Doo), some Ryde FX and a few others are charged to 300psi.
But anyway back to what's changing for 2021. As far as the shocks I may add the hi/lo adjust to the shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Probably a dumb question but are the 2021 Velocity shocks on the matryx different from the 2020 Velocity shocks? I know they don't have all the adjustments of an xcr, but is the basic shock design the same or different?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
From what I've seen and read they are the same design but don't have the hi/lo adjustment that the XCR has. How the valving is between them is a question.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
was at my dealer last week and inqired about having shocks on my 19 850 rebuilt as I feel they're long overdue at 3k miles:
"No, we dont rebuild shocks. But I can try to put in a warranty claim" ..
WTF o_O
Looks like time to get my own rebuild stuff,,!

·
Registered
57 Posts
was at my dealer last week and inqired about having shocks on my 19 850 rebuilt as I feel they're long overdue at 3k miles:
"No, we dont rebuild shocks. But I can try to put in a warranty claim" ..
WTF o_O
Looks like time to get my own rebuild stuff,,!
Wow. It tells you step by step how to rebuild them in the service manual. How can they not rebuild shocks, it’s a major component of any recreational vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
Im not saying if you have 2 thousand or so miles it should be warrenty but if you have a couple hundred or so and feel theres an issue push for warrenty .

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800, 2019 Indy 850, 2011 IQ Turbo
2,652 Posts
Im not saying if you have 2 thousand or so miles it should be warrenty but if you have a couple hundred or so and feel theres an issue push for warrenty .
True. Warranty is intended for defects in manufacturing and workmanship - like your shocks physically break or are "dead' before the first recommended service. Once you start getting enough miles to require service, then Polaris is off the hook unless something actually "breaks". Warranty doesn't cover service.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Set the nitrogen regulator to 100 PSI, start the flow then insert the needle. The reading above is what I got. There was no pressure loss inserting or filling nitrogen tube. 2 PSI drop at most.

Factory setting is supposed to be 150. Race dept specifies recharge to 200 if racing. I noticed oil seeping around res piston at 200 miles. (basically new shocks). Sure sign res is low on pressure. I have a ride partner who blew the res piston out the cap on center shock. which is why we pulled them on all sleds.

Don’t over think it on testing the nitrogen pressure. Just pull the shocks change the oil set the pressure to 200. Easy maintenance item. Most places charge around $40 for oil change and charge. Not worth warranty hassle.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Wow. It tells you step by step how to rebuild them in the service manual. How can they not rebuild shocks, it’s a major component of any recreational vehicle.
totally agree with both. Also that WE needs to step up their QC work

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I will chalk it up to WE had a bad year last year. They were in the wildfires in california and had a big mess to deal with

41 - 60 of 66 Posts