Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on my 21 VR1, the engagement rpm is about 37-3800 rpm, but when everything heats up an hour or so into the ride, engagement is down around 3400. It seems to create no problems at all, zero bog or power loss, but I'd like it to be more consistent. I can only think the stock spring is getting soft, despite only having about 500 miles on it.

Anyone have a decent primary combo of spring and weights? I would like to pull my shift rpm down a bit, it hangs around 8250 which seems a bit high from what I have read on where peak power is. Clutch weights are still stock.

·
Premium Member
19,046 Posts
I've noticed on my 21 VR1, the engagement rpm is about 37-3800 rpm, but when everything heats up an hour or so into the ride, engagement is down around 3400. It seems to create no problems at all, zero bog or power loss, but I'd like it to be more consistent. I can only think the stock spring is getting soft, despite only having about 500 miles on it.

Anyone have a decent primary combo of spring and weights? I would like to pull my shift rpm down a bit, it hangs around 8250 which seems a bit high from what I have read on where peak power is. Clutch weights are still stock.
This is likely due to a cold belt and clutch. Nothing to worry about IMO.
If rpms are too high, install some aftermarket adjustable weights. I use Cutler that are adjustable from 70 grams to 80. Can be tuned from outside the weight while mounted in clutch. I'm at 77 grams for 8100 rpm at WOT with stock black spring 110-290.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
All normal, the clutches, belt, springs, and pipe become heat soak and cause this, peak rpm can drop too once heat soaked. If your just racing that’s fine, because things don’t really get very heat soaked. Out on the trail, it will. Lesson to the story, when clutch tuning for trail, make sure to get it heat soaked 1st before evaluating clutching changes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok great. Thanks guys. I know in the past polaris has had issues with clutch springs not holding up, I had always used Erlandson stuff in the past. But it sure does run strong, so I will just focus on the weights to dial in rpm.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Engagement at 4100-4200 on my 22 VR1
Going to see peak rpm this week in a trip.(still in break in). I know the 72s will be to light: they should come with 74s

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
TEAM springs work well too, plus a larger selection for fine tuning. Some say the Erlandson belly buster work well if your interested in a non-adjustable

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks. I like the idea of adjustable weights, but I dont know who makes a good one, and really, once I get it dialed to 8100, I will be happy with that.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Guys don’t forget to adjust your belt defection. Some dealers do it some don’t on pdi. Also as it breaks in you will need to readjust it. If it’s like a wet noodle on there. Your primary will have to close father before it pinched the belt. Which will elevate your engagement rpm. Not usually at ton. But the primary sheeves get wider the farther up so it belt is bigger in it from start it only makes sence it would have to close farther to grab it. Since it has to close farther it takes more rpm to swing the weights to close it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All normal, the clutches, belt, springs, and pipe become heat soak and cause this, peak rpm can drop too once heat soaked. If your just racing that’s fine, because things don’t really get very heat soaked. Out on the trail, it will. Lesson to the story, when clutch tuning for trail, make sure to get it heat soaked 1st before evaluating clutching changes.
Ok thanks. I like the idea of adjustable weights, but I dont know who makes a good one, and really, once I get it dialed to 8100, I will be happy with that.
SLP Magnum Force 40-164... 69.2g to 77g are the ticket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts