Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2020 qs3 1.3 for my wife/ second sled. Thought I’d share the progress and results. My goal is to get it to roll to 115+ and still be fun in the trails.
Part 1. 0 miles all stock.

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2. Skid, track, driveshaft, and gear/chain removed.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Now this is going to be interesting!!!!

TechMaples I love your lift… got to get me one of those one day, what’s the make?

don‘t get me wrong, I don’t really care about the lift as I do your project... Carry On!

Catdog800... for crying out loud, he is American! He don’t know shit about kilometres! Settle down and pay attention.🤣

Live to ride!
Cube
🧤

Go-Cat-Go!

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now this is going to be interesting!!!!

TechMaples I love your lift… got to get me one of those one day, what’s the make?

don‘t get me wrong, I don’t really care about the lift as I do your project... Carry On!

Catdog800... for crying out loud, he is American! He don’t know shit about kilometres! Settle down and pay attention.🤣

Live to ride!
Cube
🧤

Go-Cat-Go!
It’s a K&L pneumatic lift. Works great, but it’s not “my” lift. It’s the dealership I work at. I do know about kilometers.... Smith forks and north in New Brunswick up to moose valley and over towards Caraquet are some of my favorite places to ride....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bought a new 2020 qs3 1.3 for my wife/ second sled. Thought I’d share the progress and results. My goal is to get it to roll to 115+ and still be fun in the trails.
Part 1. 0 miles all stock. View attachment 2116237
Do you have any seat time on the sled? Just wondering if you have a baseline to gauge your findings?

I'm guessing its like most new cats that fall on their face at 100? Would really like to know why this happens, considering the Assault seems to pull great on top.

Looking forward to see how this project turns out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have any seat time on the sled? Just wondering if you have a baseline to gauge your findings?

I'm guessing its like most new cats that fall on their face at 100? Would really like to know why this happens, considering the Assault seems to pull great on top.

Looking forward to see how this project turns out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I don’t have any time on the sled. Went from crate to showroom to the shop. 0 miles. We had a riot demo last year and we have a 2021 1.3 demo this year that I can use as a comparison. I had a 12 800 high country that I geared and clutched and would run to 105 almost anytime if trails were decent.... and that’s spinning the 2.25 power claw. I’m determined to make this thing stroll. Doing all driveline stuff first, ie drivers, track, gearing, and clutching. Then I’ll start adding power after I get what I believe is the inefficiencies taken care of.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
You will need 22 tooth top gear if you are staying with stock pipe as its impossible to do 115 GPS with current gearing at stock rpm. About 112-113 and it will be all done. Thats fully shifted out and 8000rpms

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You will need 22 tooth top gear if you are staying with stock pipe as its impossible to do 115 GPS with current gearing at stock rpm. About 112-113 and it will be all done. Thats fully shifted out and 8000rpms
I’m fully aware of the stock gearing restrictions. You’d have to pull a ridiculous amount of overdrive with stock gearing to see 112-113. My gearing will be a little bit different. The 10t 2.52 drivers gear it down minimally from the stock 2.86 drivers. I am starting with 22/41 with the 2.52 drivers and going from there. If I can’t shift out fully after break in with those gears, I’ll reconsider. I really think/hope the track swap helps considerably. Using the hacksaw r 144x14x1. I think the stock clutching on these is wayyyy off as well. Compare it to a T-cat. I know the helix is slightly different as well as the spring rates, but not by much. But cat uses the exact same profile and gram weights in primary for both??? A 155ish hp 2-stroke and a 200hp 4 stroke turbo. Someone fell asleep at the wheel on this one.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
We have a Real Green Team mechanic on our hands!

We’re all ears professor!!!

Little drooling also.… don’t worry I got my mask on tight!😷

🧤

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Hey… I just noticed on your last pic a can of Coors on the lift!

Good thinking… keep the calories down, don’t need the extra weight to get 115 mph.

on second thought... that will give you two for one ratio, that’s a better option.

🍺 Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey… I just noticed on your last pic a can of Coors on the lift!

Good thinking… keep the calories down, don’t need the extra weight to get 115 mph.

on second thought... that will give you two for one ratio, that’s a better option.

🍺 Cheers!
Haha. Gotta stay hydrated!! I’m a little over 6ft tall and weigh 230ish in street clothes. It will be me test riding it cause nobody cares about how fast something is with your little cousins anorexic friend that weighs 90lbs driving it.... js.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Go Getem Tiger!

your body build reminds my of my Brother Billy from Pennsylvania.

Big, Full of Faithful and Arctic Cat GREEN!

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,313 Posts
36AC1074-4B90-45CC-80EB-DE63F42FC02A.jpeg Theoretical full shift

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I’m fully aware of the stock gearing restrictions. You’d have to pull a ridiculous amount of overdrive with stock gearing to see 112-113. My gearing will be a little bit different. The 10t 2.52 drivers gear it down minimally from the stock 2.86 drivers. I am starting with 22/41 with the 2.52 drivers and going from there. If I can’t shift out fully after break in with those gears, I’ll reconsider. I really think/hope the track swap helps considerably. Using the hacksaw r 144x14x1. I think the stock clutching on these is wayyyy off as well. Compare it to a T-cat. I know the helix is slightly different as well as the spring rates, but not by much. But cat uses the exact same profile and gram weights in primary for both??? A 155ish hp 2-stroke and a 200hp 4 stroke turbo. Someone fell asleep at the wheel on this one.
Thats assuming stock gearing is 21/41. Not sure what riot sleds had for gearing.

I was assuming 21/41 which at that speed is only about 12-13% o.d.

·
Registered
20 Riot, 21 Riot.
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats assuming stock gearing is 21/41. Not sure what riot sleds had for gearing.

I was assuming 21/41 which at that speed is only about 12-13% o.d.
Riot stock gears are quite low stock. 22/48. With 9t 2.86 drivers. On paper if you pull 10% od, it’s a hair over 100mph. Makes them snappy down low and mid. I think that gearing is ok for the 1.6 if you use it off trail quite a bit, but the 1.3 should have been geared higher IMO.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts