Hardcore Sledder banner

161 - 180 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I think the taller front end will make them a lot more fun to ride. Maybe take a little more body English but will be better to hammer huge monguls and bang ditches. Polaris puts 1.5 inch taller spindles on there aggressive trim sleds like the X model and the 146 SKS. I think its bs the guys saying it will make it rail corners better. Its only like 1.5 inches taller but will make a huge difference It will make is so much more fun and get more life out of the ageing procross platform and make it feel more like the next generation platform that doo/ Polaris have. I think the new riot cross over had to have this front end to make it work good. As far as guys blowing all kinds of money to swap to the new set up I would ask yourself if you are an aggressive rider or not. not really worth it if not maybe just for bragging rights so you can say you have the new front end?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think the taller front end will make them a lot more fun to ride. Maybe take a little more body English but will be better to hammer huge monguls and bang ditches. Polaris puts 1.5 inch taller spindles on there aggressive trim sleds like the X model and the 146 SKS. I think its bs the guys saying it will make it rail corners better. Its only like 1.5 inches taller but will make a huge difference It will make is so much more fun and get more life out of the ageing procross platform and make it feel more like the next generation platform that doo/ Polaris have. I think the new riot cross over had to have this front end to make it work good. As far as guys blowing all kinds of money to swap to the new set up I would ask yourself if you are an aggressive rider or not. not really worth it if not maybe just for bragging rights so you can say you have the new front end?
Its basically the front end from the race sleds. So it obviously works. And it’s not just raising the sled 1.5 inches, it changes the geometry increasing the ski bite. So i wouldn’t go saying it’s B.S.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
You are missing the fact they are angled different than current. They didn’t add 1.5 inches to the ride height. They made the spindles longer and angled different. If all they did was add ride height, the a arms would not have changed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
2020 Thundercat is now up on Cat site. I cross referenced the rear suspension front arm, the rear suspension scissor upper and lower half, and what I think may be very telling in this debate of what changed, the tunnel part numbers with my 2019 ZR 9000 Sno Pro 137 and all part numbers are the same. Only other number I checked was the front arm limiter straps and they are a different number. I'm assuming they are either shorter or longer but, my gut tells me shorter to pull the rail up for the lowered ride height of the T-Cat????? As far as crossing the numbers on the rails; with the change in color I assume they are not the same so didn't bother. The rails for me are the only unknown as far as mounting location change however, I believe they are likely the same location with the limiter strap length being where the adjustment has been made. Maybe??

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Reviving this thread. Anyone within the know circle have an idea if they'll offer a kit to retrofit the 2019's and older to this new geometry. Gotta have them, the look is worth it. Gots to Love the sickness of sled modding!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have all the parts, going to start work on it soon. Anyone have the torque specs for the new front end? Would they be the same as the race sled?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
there's a couple guys on snowest that put the new front end on 2018/19s earlier this spring. From what I remember, they were buying the spindles for the 2019 snocross sleds which is what is used on the 2020's.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have all the parts, going to start work on it soon. Anyone have the torque specs for the new front end? Would they be the same as the race sled?

Cheers,

Chris
Lower a-arm to spindle 45ftlbs
Upper a-arm to spindle with bolt and tri nut 23ftlbs
Thread upper a-arm ball joint as far in as it can go
Cant recall torque for upper a-arm bolts to bulk head. I just hand tightened as I could not get any torque wrench I have on them.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I'll have my 17 together within two weeks. It's 137 now. New ARS2 wider snoX front end, then going from 137 to 141 skid with a 144 track.
Would you mind setting one of the old a-arm's and one of the new a-arm's on top of each other to show everyone the difference in geometry ? and yes I know they are different length so match up the heim/ball joint's. Also are you going to need 2.52 driver's ? If so are you going 10 tooth or 9" be cause I may have a brand-new set w/driveshaft. Thanks
Here you go. Not the best way as it is still in the sled. When you hold the spindle in there it moves the ski bolt about a 1/2 inch foreword

Attachments

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
so, maybe i am mistaken, but it looks like the upper arm moves the ball joint forward. So if you were to install just the upper a-arm on the old spindle, it would move the ski bolt closer to the track and the ski stance narrower? Obviously the new spindle compensates for the changes in the upper a-arm? That pic is hard to see.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Supertrax has high praise for the revised front suspension:
GAME CHANGER
Big news comes in the form of the most significant improvement in Pro Cross handling since the platform’s intro. New spindles with new orientation in relation to the bulkhead provide the most turn-in and forward bite we’ve experienced on any Pro Cross model.
Gone is the chassis’ previous predisposition to shove its nose through the center of the turn and under steer past the apex. Turn-in is now strong, immediate and most importantly, reliably predictable through the entire corner. Part of the re-jiggering of the chassis includes moving the front arm’s mounting point lower in the tunnel. SUPERTRAXMAG.COM - ARCTIC CAT UNDERSTOOD

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
so, maybe i am mistaken, but it looks like the upper arm moves the ball joint forward. So if you were to install just the upper a-arm on the old spindle, it would move the ski bolt closer to the track and the ski stance narrower? Obviously the new spindle compensates for the changes in the upper a-arm? That pic is hard to see.
I will get a better comparison when I take the sled apart. I had to send one spindle back because it was scratched so I haven’t started working on it yet. With the new spindle kinda held in there It looks like the ski bolt will be moved about a 1/2 inch foreword

·
Registered
491 Posts
I will get a better comparison when I take the sled apart. I had to send one spindle back because it was scratched so I haven’t started working on it yet. With the new spindle kinda held in there It looks like the ski bolt will be moved about a 1/2 inch foreword
That makes more sense, moving it forward would make it twitch like ski doo's RAS. I installed Hygear Sli-cast on one of my sleds and it was a significant improvement tilting the spindles rearward and using Bergstrom shims.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Since multiple sources have said that the front arm (of rear suspension) is mounted lower in the tunnel, will loosening the limiter strap be enough to mimic this?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Supertrax has high praise for the revised front suspension:
GAME CHANGER
Big news comes in the form of the most significant improvement in Pro Cross handling since the platform’s intro. New spindles with new orientation in relation to the bulkhead provide the most turn-in and forward bite we’ve experienced on any Pro Cross model.
Gone is the chassis’ previous predisposition to shove its nose through the center of the turn and under steer past the apex. Turn-in is now strong, immediate and most importantly, reliably predictable through the entire corner. Part of the re-jiggering of the chassis includes moving the front arm’s mounting point lower in the tunnel. SUPERTRAXMAG.COM - ARCTIC CAT UNDERSTOOD
Interesting...seems there is something not right here: if the front arms mounting position has been lowered in the tunnel why then is the part number between the 2020 Tcat and my 2019 9000 sno pro the same?? Both black tunnels, 137s, and part number 3707-394. I even confirmed this with a dealer. Go on cats site and cross the numbers they are the same between those two. I have noticed however, that the limiter strap parts numbers have changed and crossed them on country cats website which gives the dimensions and the new number if memory is correct is shorter which would fit with the lowered ride height of the Tcat and any other model that is lowered.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The front arm relocation is notable.
Kirk, we have been asking questions about the front arm location for years. Most of these have been sent out with the option of up to four different holes on the front arm location. There are quite a few variations in how the holes have been machined in the tunnel. I've seen them come with one hole and three more template dimples. I've also seen three holes with an additional dimple. The front arm location has been moved between the various holes over the years.

It is likely the same tunnel as you noticed. They are just using a different hole in the template.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The front arm relocation is notable.
Kirk, we have been asking questions about the front arm location for years. Most of these have been sent out with the option of up to four different holes on the front arm location. There are quite a few variations in how the holes have been machined in the tunnel. I've seen them come with one hole and three more template dimples. I've also seen three holes with an additional dimple. The front arm location has been moved between the various holes over the years.

It is likely the same tunnel as you noticed. They are just using a different hole in the template.
Understand what u r saying however, the same part numbers should indicate that the holes are located in the same place. There are three opened up on my 19: one upper further back and 2 further forward with one approximately at the same level as the as the previously mentioned rear one and the other directly below it. The furthest back hole is the factory setting and from all pics I have seen including the Lester walk around of the 8000 the location of the bolt up is the same. Someone that has both model years with the same part numbers will have to set them side by side to see whats changed other than the limiter strap.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
They only changed the front arm on the sleds with a 1 inch track to make them sit lower.

161 - 180 of 318 Posts