Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an assault 800 four days ago and had no issues until loading in the bed of my pickup. It sounded like clutch issues as the belt had no smell. If this is going to be ongoing issues; will lemon law protect me in MI?

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
How about giving some info on what was it doing or not doing ? I think your getting ahead of yourself. And to my knowledge no lemon law on sleds. But let’s put all that aside and see if we can get ya straightened out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there was a climb of a 45 degree angle and it started to make a grinding noise as I accelerated on the throttle, then I got to the top of hill, and as I led off no noises, no smells. Then I accelerated again to get the sled into the box of my truck snd same noise, loud horrible grindage noises.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
If it was my f7, I would tell you the secondary is toast and sticking, wore it out twice, and that is exactly the sound it made. Deep snow or up hill, aweful grinding sound. I could hear it right at my left foot

on your new sled, I’d start with-checking over the clutches first. Could be a broken spring.Left or right side?. Loose chain?? Drivers, or drive bearings. Clutch is my guess though

cost of buying used. I always expect to drop at least some money when I buy someone else’s problem. Just the way it is. Hopefully an easy fix and that’s the only reason he sold it

I bought a mint boat for a good price once. First ride out it shut off by itself under throttle. Im like, here’s the reason for the good deal. I got luck and traced the problem to an 18 dollar bad ignition switch. Kept the boat for 11 years, and sold it to a guy who still has it running on 5 years

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Ok. So I would.
1- pick back of sled up and see if track is loose , adjust to proper track tension if needed.

2- inspect the driver to track lug interface after making sure track tension is correct. Previous owner
May have skipped the track so many times it screwed up drivers.
3- take belt off , with track in air and turn secondary back and forth see if there is lots of play. Which could translate into chain case chain tension being way to loose and chain skipping on gears.
4 - rotate secondary clockwise multiple turns and counterclockwise multiple turns. Feeling for a bad bearing or something wrong in chaincase. Like a broken tensioner.
5- pull secondary off and inspect jack shaft bearing.
6 - remove helix from secondary (since it’s off ) and inspect for broken roller etc.
7- loosen track a bit. Grab driveshaft on crunch side and wiggle it around. See if the bearing is notably bad. On either side . You may want to remove cover by left foot.
8 - if non of this , remove chaincase cover and visually inspect .

Most likely in one of those inspections you will find the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was my f7, I would tell you the secondary is toast and sticking, wore it out twice, and that is exactly the sound it made. Deep snow or up hill, aweful grinding sound. I could hear it right at my left foot

on your new sled, I’d start with-checking over the clutches first. Could be a broken spring.Left or right side?. Loose chain?? Drivers, or drive bearings. Clutch is my guess though

cost of buying used. I always expect to drop at least some money when I buy someone else’s problem. Just the way it is. Hopefully an easy fix and that’s the only reason he sold it

I bought a mint boat for a good price once. First ride out it shut off by itself under throttle. Im like, here’s the reason for the good deal. I got luck and traced the problem to an 18 dollar bad ignition switch. Kept the boat for 11 years, and sold it to a guy who still has it running on 5 years
Thank you for response. I bought this brand new 5 days ago, had 0 miles, now has 270 from my weekend in Heaven.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So I would.
1- pick back of sled up and see if track is loose , adjust to proper track tension if needed.

2- inspect the driver to track lug interface after making sure track tension is correct. Previous owner
May have skipped the track so many times it screwed up drivers.
3- take belt off , with track in air and turn secondary back and forth see if there is lots of play. Which could translate into chain case chain tension being way to loose and chain skipping on gears.
4 - rotate secondary clockwise multiple turns and counterclockwise multiple turns. Feeling for a bad bearing or something wrong in chaincase. Like a broken tensioner.
5- pull secondary off and inspect jack shaft bearing.
6 - remove helix from secondary (since it’s off ) and inspect for broken roller etc.
7- loosen track a bit. Grab driveshaft on crunch side and wiggle it around. See if the bearing is notably bad. On either side . You may want to remove cover by left foot.
8 - if non of this , remove chaincase cover and visually inspect .

Most likely in one of those inspections you will find the culprit.
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Well the belt can make a crazy grinding type noise in secondary if it opens up and drops belt in. I’ve seen this from some helix when in reverse also. May want to eliminate that also. With side panel off duplicating the stuff that makes it do it you Should be Able to see and here that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the belt can make a crazy grinding type noise in secondary if it opens up and drops belt in. I’ve seen this from some helix when in reverse also. May want to eliminate that also. With side panel off duplicating the stuff that makes it do it you Should be Able to see and here that.
Okay thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts