Hardcore Sledder banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update on my 2018 ZR 8000 137 purchased new. Mag side meltdown at 4,600 miles on open trail at 50-60 mph, 20 degree F. Stock, good fuel, ctec oil only, no overheating issues or codes. Possible rod bearing siezed, very little oil residue anywhere. Cat dealer claims they checked oil pump and was ok. 9 months out of warranty, and no help from Cat.
Will be very hard to trust this engine in the future! This was my favorite Cat of 25+ owned over the years.
What does everyone believe is the main cause of these engine failures??? Any tips and suggestions for the rebuild to help avoid a similar issue will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,341 Posts
There are no plans "on the table" to tighten emissions limits for snowmobiles. However, if liberals take control of Congress and the White House again, that will almost certainly change. Elections matter, and in more ways than most people realize.
2 years later, here we are

Reactions: Tonycat82

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,341 Posts
What's interesting is information I have heard is that there is no changes in the map between 20 and 21......

This makes sense as we all know the shimming is different on the 20 vs 21.....
What's shimmed different?
I have 20 and 21 primaries and I don't see anything different

·
Registered
552 Posts
Update on my 2018 ZR 8000 137 purchased new. Mag side meltdown at 4,600 miles on open trail at 50-60 mph, 20 degree F. Stock, good fuel, ctec oil only, no overheating issues or codes. Possible rod bearing siezed, very little oil residue anywhere. Cat dealer claims they checked oil pump and was ok. 9 months out of warranty, and no help from Cat.
Will be very hard to trust this engine in the future! This was my favorite Cat of 25+ owned over the years.
What does everyone believe is the main cause of these engine failures??? Any tips and suggestions for the rebuild to help avoid a similar issue will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Make sure you pressure test the motor before you tear it down. I found a bad pto crank seal on mine, also the reeds leak around the outside of the cage.
The stock cat tune and the updated tune are lean in the midrange, definitely need an aftermarket tune. The updated cat tune would knock at 6600 rpm on my sled.
With a proper rebuild with no air leaks and a reputable tune the motor will be trust worthy.
If you suspect the oil pump, mix your fuel and keep track of your oil consumption to confirm how much it's using.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make sure you pressure test the motor before you tear it down. I found a bad pto crank seal on mine, also the reeds leak around the outside of the cage.
The stock cat tune and the updated tune are lean in the midrange, definitely need an aftermarket tune. The updated cat tune would knock at 6600 rpm on my sled.
With a proper rebuild with no air leaks and a reputable tune the motor will be trust worthy.
If you suspect the oil pump, mix your fuel and keep track of your oil consumption to confirm how much it's using.
Hi,
Thanks for the good info! I had to bite the bullet and purchase a complete new short block due to damage to existing block( rod went thru the case), and am starting to put back together. Please continue to offer other suggestions, as I hope to make as bulletproof as possible.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts