Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 Polaris Switchback Pro-S 800 and no matter what snow conditions im in it is still overheating. Normally on hard pack trails my sled will get hot, never overheat but it got hot. But now even riding on the lake with 2 feet of fresh snow its still not cooling the sled down at all.

This afternoon i started it up and let it warm up and went out onto the lake, didnt even touch any hard pack snow and after 8 minutes i was already at 197F. i cant trail ride it anymore because it will instantly turn the overheat light on. im just confused as to why its still overheating even in deep snow. any help is appreciated
Edit: after doing research, my only thought can be the thermostat but the 2018's apparently have the best cool head setup. I might just have to take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This sounds like thermostat isn't opening and/or it is air locked. Have you tried bleeding the line as well by opening the bleed screw above the thermostat? If you do that, take the cap off the anti-freeze reservoir to help. Could also be in the arena of a faulty water pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sounds like thermostat isn't opening and/or it is air locked. Have you tried bleeding the line as well by opening the bleed screw above the thermostat? If you do that, take the cap off the anti-freeze reservoir to help.
thanks for the info! if the coolant system has never been taken apart or worked on could there still be air in the lines? im leaning towards thermostat because even if there was air in the coolant lines wouldnt it still somewhat cool it? i cant go 100 feet without hitting 170f in powder which makes me believe its the thermostat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thermostat is easy to diagnose, pull it out, heat it up and see if it opens. There are more detailed instructions on youtube. But that should be easy to cross off the list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thermostat is easy to diagnose, pull it out, heat it up and see if it opens. There are more detailed instructions on youtube. But that should be easy to cross off the list.
A different polaris forum user gave the same idea of putting into boiling water to see if it opens, really hoping it is just the thermostat because it sounds quick and painless

·
Registered
49 Posts
A different polaris forum user gave the same idea of putting into boiling water to see if it opens, really hoping it is just the thermostat because it sounds quick and painless
Yeah that’s the method I have seen used but I am hesitant to recommend methods I’ve never used myself. I hope it’s the thermostat too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wait... does your sled not have a digital temp on the display??? If the thermostat is working it should warm up to a point and then stay there... my 14 800 is 121 degrees

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait... does your sled not have a digital temp on the display??? If the thermostat is working it should warm up to a point and then stay there... my 14 800 is 121 degrees
yes my sled has the digital temp display, it normally warms up to around 110-120 but now i cant go 100feet without almost hitting 200F

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, I'd start with bleeding the system, then move to T-Stat and then look into the water pump. I wouldn't let it heat up that hot too many more times, I feel like you are playing with fire there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'd start with bleeding the system, then move to T-Stat and then look into the water pump. I wouldn't let it heat up that hot too many more times, I feel like you are playing with fire there.
As soon as i noticed it overheating i let it cool down and headed straight home, Im going to try bleeding it, and might just replace the thermostat anyways. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Friends 2015 was doing the same thing. no mater the conditions it was always hot and got to the point he was hitting 200 deg. New thermostat X2, bleading air many times, checking water pump, etc. Ended up being the temperature sending unit. Replaced it and life is good.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
If you can find a laser temp gun you can easily shot it and you’ll have an answer on the temp sending unit.

hard to believe in a 100’ it would get that hot, IMO.

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
These AXYS 800 HO engines are very difficult to properly bleed. You must follow the procedure 100%. Sled must be tilted sideways at 45degrees with right ski in the air. It's described in the shop manual.

And, while doing this, don't just let it idle. Rev the engine up/down a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts