Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 zr 600 has a muffler that doesn't have the heat-wrap around it. Other procrosses in our group - 16 lx 600 and 18 pantera 600 - have the wrap around it that looks like a suitcase. Why did they use different exhaust for the same engine and basically the same chassis? Apparently mine was some kind of ceramic coating but i'm wondering what difference it makes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,762 Posts
I know the 18 and up 800 machines, Ctecs, have ceramic coating instead of the wrap. The wrap was more of a sound dampening device and to protect the side panel from melting, than it was anything functional to do with affecting heat within the pipe. If yours is ceramic, I would not worry about it, as it is as intended

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know the 18 and up 800 machines, Ctecs, have ceramic coating instead of the wrap. The wrap was more of a sound dampening device and to protect the side panel from melting, than it was anything functional to do with affecting heat within the pipe. If yours is ceramic, I would not worry about it, as it is as intended
I thought the canister was stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
21,762 Posts
I’ve never had a 600, but on 800s it isn’t. Stainless steel is shiny, ceramic coating looks like gray paint. I don’t believe there is stainless material under the ceramic coating anyway

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever mine is made of, I know it's original since I bought it new. Was surprised my buddy's pantera of the same year and engine had a different one. Curious more than anything. Looking at the parts diagram for one of them it looks like perhaps there were different options - maybe they changed mid-way through a year or had to finish off some parts on hand before switching?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you want to spend the money Ceramic Coating us way to go.
it will drastically drop temps off that pipe.
most charge around 400-500 bucks to do Snowmobile exhaust. That’s about what I wasquoted to do my 3 cylinder manifold, expansion chamber and Can.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to spend the money Ceramic Coating us way to go.
it will drastically drop temps off that pipe.
most charge around 400-500 bucks to do Snowmobile exhaust. That’s about what I wasquoted to do my 3 cylinder manifold, expansion chamber and Can.
That's interesting. Not for me with my little 600 but interesting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my 2019 6000 had the suitcase cover. One time while removing I kinda damaged the cover, so I just put the can back in without. It didnt take long for the corner of the belly pan closest to the can to begin overheating and bubbling a bit. Some heat tape took care of it, but I guess its there for a reason on the non-ceramic cans.

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
None of my 800s had muffler wraps. My 600 ctech may have. I can’t remember 100% now. I know the 800rr always had a ceramic coated muffler that was not prepped well when coated

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 18 zr 600 has a muffler that doesn't have the heat-wrap around it. Other procrosses in our group - 16 lx 600 and 18 pantera 600 - have the wrap around it that looks like a suitcase. Why did they use different exhaust for the same engine and basically the same chassis? Apparently mine was some kind of ceramic coating but i'm wondering what difference it makes. Thanks.
My 2018 El Tigre 6000 is ceramic coated. Maybe starting in 2018 the base models or machines with basic shocks used the suitcase exhaust cover
Automotive tire Fluid Bathroom Composite material Plumbing

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but is it only the muffler on the newer sleds that is coated, or is the whole pipe and muffler? From the pictures it looks like only the muffler. Is there a benefit to coating the whole system (from y pipe to muffler)?

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but is it only the muffler on the newer sleds that is coated, or is the whole pipe and muffler? From the pictures it looks like only the muffler. Is there a benefit to coating the whole system (from y pipe to muffler)?
The coated muffler has been around for about 10 years. I think they only used it on the rr at first. I wouldn’t bother having an exhaust system coated. It will probably be close to 600 bucks to have the entire thing done now days

1 - 20 of 23 Posts