Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you run these sleds with hood off in the garage? Going to adjust idle. Thinking the reeds are causing low idle.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
I've ridden my '12-16 sleds around the yard with no hood on them too, although the Internet would say that would cook them

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only thing i was worried about, is if the oil pump is running if console is unplugged. Ive also ran my 12 no hood when refilling coolant

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
I think I watched the oil flow through my first one the first time I started it ever, it appeared to have about 2oz of oil in the tank and I was concerned about air bubbles. I didn't have the hood on it and it being un plugged didn't concern me as I've always ran stuff like that. Check it out and let me know. I won't be near a sled til Tuesday, but I'll unplug the hood and start one, now that I'm curious.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
They will run without the hood on. I wouldn't ride it around...but to start and run in the shop to adjust your idle, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright good deal. Thanks for replies. Mine still wont idle high.

About 2k when cold for a few seconds the 1500.

If i shut it down and restart it it goes to about 1100 then creeps up to 1450/1500. After running hard it drops to 1100 then creeps up to 1600 maybe 1700 and holds

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rebuilt and changed reeds to v force. The stock reeds dont seal as tight and v force have rubber molding that petals seat against. Almost wonder if old owner adjusted idle to keep rpms down. But new reeds seal better so it needs to be bumped up.

Doesnt hunt. Idles at 1500 smoothly just want it to idle around 1800 and not drop to 1100

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Where you do want it to idle ?? I don't think mine idle much higher than 1500/1600 when warm.... I can double check tomorrow and post

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just dont like how it drops down to 1100 and slowly comes up. Sled rpms dives when i let off the gas. I have about 15 miles on the rebuild. Maybe i need to run it good and hard a few more times

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did read some interesting stuff on the polaris forums about guys experiencing this same issue with idle after reeds. They contacted vforce and were told the reeds need to loosen up some and after a few hundred miles idle was normal.

Ironically most of the issues were seen after a rebuild as well. They would add reeds while at that point and had a brief issue, so hopefully this is relatable. I may bump idle up a tad to about 1800 until i notice it holding stronger on its on. Doing so mainly to help with the low idle it gets when coming down from sustained throttle usage.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I did read some interesting stuff on the polaris forums about guys experiencing this same issue with idle after reeds. They contacted vforce and were told the reeds need to loosen up some and after a few hundred miles idle was normal.

Ironically most of the issues were seen after a rebuild as well. They would add reeds while at that point and had a brief issue, so hopefully this is relatable. I may bump idle up a tad to about 1800 until i notice it holding stronger on its on. Doing so mainly to help with the low idle it gets when coming down from sustained throttle usage.
My idle dropped also when I installed v force on my 2018. I will turn mine up next time I have hood off. Or can it be done with hood on ?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

My idle dropped also when I installed v force on my 2018. I will turn mine up next time I have hood off. Or can it be done with hood on ?

What did it drop too? Does yours drop down real low like around 1100? Then come back up?

I believe hood needs to be off

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Just to refer back from my post last night...... Riding today, 2100-2200 when warming up. Coming to a stop, usually goes to 1800 for a sec or 2 then drops to 1500-1600 and holds there.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for posting that. Might just be reeds needing to loosen up. If i run mine and slow down to idle it drops to 1100 and creeps up to 1500/1600. It used to drop to 700. So its getting better

·
Registered
193 Posts
our stock intake, no reeds, 18 high country's, idle down to 1750-1850 after hanging around 2-2150 for a bit. i think any lower, and you might have a bog when you go to hit the happy flipper again. Ski

·
Registered
21 Posts
More than 1000 miles since I have installed the V-force in my ZR8000 2018, the idle has dropped to 1500-1600rpm compare to previously 1800-1900rpm however but I didn't experience low 1100rpm .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts