Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girlfriend bought a 17 zr 6000 sno pro 129 with 600 miles this summer with the 1.25" ripsaw track. I put on a kens sports 4th wheel kit, along with 2 studs per window. Sled seems slow and doesnt have any top end and I am not sure why. The sled currently has 1400 miles on it and the best either of us have gotten out of it is 83 mph. This past weekend I could only get it to 71 and she got it to 73. Sled is pulling 8100-8150 rpm, so it should be right where it needs to be. I have swapped the original belt with a new spare belt and after breaking the belt in same results. The sled has a kens 4th wheel kit and 2 studs per window, but besides that all stock. From what I have read the track being too tight has robbed people of 10mph, otherwise maybe something in the secondary is binding?

This past weekend I swapped sleds with a guy in our group who was on a 17 indy 600 stock no studs, me (330) and her (180) both raced from a stop on the railroad grade and she would barely take me out of the hole but then I would walk past her up top no problem with the indy hitting mid 90's no problem. We then switched sleds and repeat, this time we were about equal out of the hole but fom 60 on she just kept going and I hit 74 mph.

So what am I missing? what should I give a try? Thinking about doing a compression test but doubtful on that as it goes into reverse no problem, turning over by hand seems to be fine.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The girlfriend bought a 17 zr 6000 sno pro 129 with 600 miles this summer with the 1.25" ripsaw track. I put on a kens sports 4th wheel kit, along with 2 studs per window. Sled seems slow and doesnt have any top end and I am not sure why. The sled currently has 1400 miles on it and the best either of us have gotten out of it is 83 mph. This past weekend I could only get it to 71 and she got it to 73. Sled is pulling 8100-8150 rpm, so it should be right where it needs to be. I have swapped the original belt with a new spare belt and after breaking the belt in same results. The sled has a kens 4th wheel kit and 2 studs per window, but besides that all stock. From what I have read the track being too tight has robbed people of 10mph, otherwise maybe something in the secondary is binding?

This past weekend I swapped sleds with a guy in our group who was on a 17 indy 600 stock no studs, me (330) and her (180) both raced from a stop on the railroad grade and she would barely take me out of the hole but then I would walk past her up top no problem with the indy hitting mid 90's no problem. We then switched sleds and repeat, this time we were about equal out of the hole but fom 60 on she just kept going and I hit 74 mph.

So what am I missing? what should I give a try? Thinking about doing a compression test but doubtful on that as it goes into reverse no problem, turning over by hand seems to be fine.
Your RPM is spot on. I would find out if someone changed the gearing on it. My 18 129 has hit 101 on GPS.

·
Registered
872 Posts
That's all its going to do, snow conditions slow it down 10 mph, you are out of gear. If you want to race you buy a race sled. If you want to cruise and buy a 600 then you cruise, that sled will last forever, in my little old opinion that is the speed all trail sleds should go. Corner to corner on the trail its perfect

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your RPM is spot on. I would find out if someone changed the gearing on it. My 18 129 has hit 101 on GPS.
I talked to the original owner a 70 year old retiree, he never had it above 40 and the day we bought it I rode it across his lawn to where I had my truck parked and he about cried because it had never seen anything but snow. He never did anything to it, in fact it still had the original chaincase oil in it when we bought it. Sled is 100% stock minus the studs and 4th wheel kit.

To some 70 would be fine for top speed, but to me its not as it means that something in the drive line is wrong causing the top speed to be so low when I know other people are getting into the mid 90's no problem.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I talked to the original owner a 70 year old retiree, he never had it above 40 and the day we bought it rod it about 30 yards on the grass to where I had my truck parked and he about cried because it had never seen anything but snow. He never did anything to it, in fact it still had the original chaincase oil in it when we bought it.

To some 70 would be fine for top speed, but to me its not as it means that something in the drive line is wrong causing the top speed to be so low when I know other people are getting into the mid 90's no problem.
I talked to the original owner a 70 year old retiree, he never had it above 40 and the day we bought it rod it about 30 yards on the grass to where I had my truck parked and he about cried because it had never seen anything but snow. He never did anything to it, in fact it still had the original chaincase oil in it when we bought it.

My 2016 zr8000 129 snopro wont get to the mid 90s ,,,, it's out of gear but I did clutch work to get it down to 8100 rpms, it was 8300. It's a monster corner to corner

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I talked to the original owner a 70 year old retiree, he never had it above 40 and the day we bought it I rode it across his lawn to where I had my truck parked and he about cried because it had never seen anything but snow. He never did anything to it, in fact it still had the original chaincase oil in it when we bought it. Sled is 100% stock minus the studs and 4th wheel kit.

Well you have something amiss with it. Track to tight possibly. Your going to have to do some digging.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friend of mine just had this same issue, cleaned up the power valves at 2200miles and all good now.
What was he pulling for rpm? The thing thats throwing me off is its pulling the correct rpm.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would check the power valves. If it's turning rpms but the valves aren't opening, wouldn't it be down on power? I was along side of my buddy on his 2013 F800 the other day. From a 10MPH roll to 70 MPH. His rear bumper was about a foot in front of my front bumper. Both sleds stock other than he has aftermarket reeds. Mine is a 2018 El Tigre 6000. It tops out around 95/96 MPH.

Also, Check belt deflection. Most of the guys I ride with don't.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For some clarification, the track tension is to be set at 2" with 20lbs of weight correct? Is there a certain spot to measure at? Looking at the sled hanging on the stand lastnight it would appear that the track tension is currently a little tight.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
For some clarification, the track tension is to be set at 2" with 20lbs of weight correct? Is there a certain spot to measure at? Looking at the sled hanging on the stand lastnight it would appear that the track tension is currently a little tight.
Then track tension is not your issue. Has to be clutching or your power valves are not operating properly. You can check them by putting sled on a stand and running up to over 7000 rpm and see if the servo pulls the cables. Usually though if they are not working, it would throw a code. Mark your primary and go for a run and see how far the belt climbs.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
My wife has a 2015 ZR-6000; 1,000 miles. I've had it up to 91 indicated, on groomed trail. Haven't had it on a real hard packed trail to see if it will do better.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My wife has a 2015 ZR-6000; 1,000 miles. I've had it up to 91 indicated, on groomed trail. Haven't had it on a real hard packed trail to see if it will do better.
My daughter has a 16 6000 zr 129. Nice corner to corner power but top end is not impressive. Runs 85-90 on groomed trail. Sled is box stock. My old 600 zrts would have ate it for lunch.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My daughter has a 16 6000 zr 129. Nice corner to corner power but top end is not impressive. Runs 85-90 on groomed trail. Sled is box stock. My old 600 zrts would have ate it for lunch.
My 18 pulled 101 on GPS on a long lake run a couple years ago. Have not tried my 20 but I also could care less about top speed now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts