Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another issue I had at the end of last year that i forgot about. I cant see any leak but it is going somewhere. After 3 300 mile days it would be empty if i didnt notice it. The motor oil tank has seemed to gain oil. It is sitting there and the sight glass is low and the oil sight glass is over filled. Is it possible that the chaincase oil is leaking into the oil tank?

·
Registered
2018 Thundercat
826 Posts
Anything is possible but I guess the only way to know is drain the oil, take the oil reservoir off and take a good look at the chain case area covered by the oil tank. Maybe some compressed air going through the reverse hole and hold your hand/and or spray some soap on that area on the outer case?

·
Premium Member
20,871 Posts
I would think that would be highly unlikely. The motor oil is hotter, and thinner. If for some reason there was a way for fluid to pass between them (cracked in the aluminum?)I would think oil would go the other way, into the chain case

·
Registered
615 Posts
Another issue I had at the end of last year that i forgot about. I cant see any leak but it is going somewhere. After 3 300 mile days it would be empty if i didnt notice it. The motor oil tank has seemed to gain oil. It is sitting there and the sight glass is low and the oil sight glass is over filled. Is it possible that the chaincase oil is leaking into the oil tank?
Only way would be if the case has a crack in it. Engine oil sight gage tube will show about a 1/2" increase in oil level between cold engine (cold oil) vs. hot engine (hot oil).
Do you ever have to add coolant to overflow tank? If you do, just be certain coolant is not getting into engine oil. That would indicate a BIG problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil also can’t leak Up. Doesn’t the motor oil level in the reservoir sit a lot higher than in the chaincase. You could have two unrelated issues.
I agree and could have 2 issues but if I fill the chaincase and let it sit there until i ride it it wont leak a drop... This happened to me the last 2 trips actually. I filled it when i got home the 1st time and watched it for a couple weeks before i went again. Then after the 1st day of riding it was showing 1/2 on the sight glass and had to add. when i brought it home and washed it thats when the P1335 code happened. Needless to say i was pissed off at it and parked it.
Going to open it up next week and see what i find

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well must be the seal. I took it all apart and split the tanks and cleaned it all up and cant find any sign of cross contamination. The oil tank was pretty ugly looking after 14k miles and i change it every 1k. at least that got cleaned out. Gonna change the seal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts