Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my brother is looking at a 15 Pro R 800 with the 121" track. It is a 1 owner sled and looks really clean with no damage. Im not too familiar with the newer sleds but what would your opinion be of this sled with those miles?
I know my edge chassis sleds have no problem going 10k+ miles on motor and chassis with only small maintenance items but I am really unsure about the longevity of these newer sleds and all the moving parts of the suspension.
What items do you think would need to be addressed at this mileage and what are things to look out for on the 15s? Any known problems? I know this is the first year for this body style so that makes me a little nervous as well.
Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Well one thing if its a Pro R, then its a 2014. 2015 was either the Pro S or Pro x.

That being said. The 2014 Pro R 800 is a good sled. The engine is the most refined 800 in that chassis. Internals on the cyliders were beefed up. Better pistons. Fuel mapping was better from what I hear.

I wouldnt be worried about it if its not beat up honestly. At that milage I would change the fuel filter. Thats about $180 for am OEM replacment. I'd check the suspension bushings and replace if needed. They arent to expensive for OEM.

Other than that I would change the oil cap to a better vented cap, like the newer arctic cat, skidoo, or others. They all are the same size cap. $25 to $40.

Check the clutches over and ride it.

If it is a 15 Pro X or S. I wouldnt worry either. Ive taken apart a Pro S with 10,0000 miles before and it looked perfect. Crank, rods, pistons looked good and in tolerance, cylinders same thing.

Many guys, including myself put some oil in the gas when we are able to on a full tank. A few oz. Just to help the life is all. It might be a worthless tactic.

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply muscle. My mistake, it is a 2015 Pro S, not a Pro R like I have. This one is the new axys body style, not the body style of my 2011 if that helps.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I own 2 15 800 Pro S. One died at 5050 miles... 2 pistons and cylinders. Then at 5700, same sled, crank bearings on PTO , 1 piston. Now happy at 7K+ miles. Many friends 800 HO have failed in the 5K to 7K mile range. I will now do pistons on 800 HO at 5k .. cheap partial insurance before u pay for cylinders . My other 15 800 is at 3500 miles, untouched. .. will go to 5K, then give it new SPI pistons ( SPI served me will in my past 600 Poos . for 1/2 price of stock ) . This year I need to fix running boards as a Viper/Yamaha hit me last year so motor on sled two is 2nd on the priority list.

As u see above.. some have better luck than I over 5k miles.

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own 2 15 800 Pro S. One died at 5050 miles... 2 pistons and cylinders. Then at 5700, same sled, crank bearings on PTO , 1 piston. Now happy at 7K+ miles. Many friends 800 HO have failed in the 5K to 7K mile range. I will now do pistons on 800 HO at 5k .. cheap partial insurance before u pay for cylinders . My other 15 800 is at 3500 miles, untouched. .. will go to 5K, then give it new SPI pistons ( SPI served me will in my past 600 Poos . for 1/2 price of stock ) . This year I need to fix running boards as a Viper/Yamaha hit me last year so motor on sled two is 2nd on the priority list.

As u see above.. some have better luck than I over 5k miles.
Was there any indications of why the top end went down then the lower end? Makes me a little nervous.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just took my 15 pro s 800 apart this week. 7k miles. Ran fine but I'm glad I did, pto crank bearing would have failed this season. Pistons were tired too. I bought it with 5100 miles on it last year put alot of miles on it with a pipe screaming at 8500 rpms. Maybe that's why the bearing got tired.. I dunno.

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the deal with these failing so early? Edge chassis sleds regularly go 10k plus without question. In fact I personally did it with a 01 600.
Im really worried if he got it and the motor went down that it would cost more than the sled is worth to fix it. He is not mechanical and wouldnt have the time to work on it even if he did. Maybe he should just keep riding his 02 Edge 600.

·
Registered
15 Pro-S/15 8RR/21 850 XRS
1,764 Posts
Whats the deal with these failing so early? Edge chassis sleds regularly go 10k plus without question. In fact I personally did it with a 01 600.
Im really worried if he got it and the motor went down that it would cost more than the sled is worth to fix it. He is not mechanical and wouldnt have the time to work on it even if he did. Maybe he should just keep riding his 02 Edge 600.
To meet emissions. There is a lean spot in mid range that they use to pass emissions test. As long as he isn’t steady for a couple miles in 55-7k rpm range he will be good. Aways ride and feather the throttle here and there in a certain rpm range.
And, there was no 15 Pro R. If he got the 15 assault that was in the pro ride chassis, then that will be a good sled also. As they had the 800cfi figured out a couple years before that. 15 800HO they made a Pro-S and Pro-X in the axys chassis. Still a great engine and sled. Just in 17 or 18 they made a new thermostat which made the sled run at a lower operating temp. And obviously tune changes. Can’t go wrong with either model.

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To meet emissions. There is a lean spot in mid range that they use to pass emissions test. As long as he isn’t steady for a couple miles in 55-7k rpm range he will be good. Aways ride and feather the throttle here and there in a certain rpm range.
And, there was no 15 Pro R. If he got the 15 assault that was in the pro ride chassis, then that will be a good sled also. As they had the 800cfi figured out a couple years before that. 15 800HO they made a Pro-S and Pro-X in the axys chassis. Still a great engine and sled. Just in 17 or 18 they made a new thermostat which made the sled run at a lower operating temp. And obviously tune changes. Can’t go wrong with either model.
Thanks for the info and you also brought up a good point about the lean spot. I had a 09 IQ 800 and it had a power commander on it when I bought it. The previous owner said it was to richen up the lean spots. Has anyone had good with a power commander on the axys sleds? Im also seriously considering adding one to my 2011 the more I think about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dude are you serious? 7k miles out of a big bore 2 stroke that makes more power per ci than a corvette zr1 is damn impressive. Your little 600 that makes no power can touch 10k miles all it wants. The comparison isn't even in the same galaxy

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude are you serious? 7k miles out of a big bore 2 stroke that makes more power per ci than a corvette zr1 is damn impressive. Your little 600 that makes no power can touch 10k miles all it wants. The comparison isn't even in the same galaxy
How about my little 660 that has had the kit on since 500 miles that now has almost 7k that will put a hurting on most 800s?
I have no doubts it will go over 10k without touching the motor. I am starting to believe carbd sleds have a longer lifespan. I could be wrong but maybe a fuel controlled and a little oil added to the gas will make these newer machines last as long as the older ones.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Newer sleds you actually want to use a thinner oil. Polaris ves and extreme even more are pretty thin compared to oil used in carbed sleds. The fuel mixes with the oil on a carbed sled allowing oil to get into more places easily. You dont get that with the newer fuel injected sleds, which is why you should use the recommended oil.

If you ever wonder how skidoo uses such little oil. Their skidoo oil is sticky. It also aids in fogging the sled using its own oil for summer storage.

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Newer sleds you actually want to use a thinner oil. Polaris ves and extreme even more are pretty thin compared to oil used in carbed sleds. The fuel mixes with the oil on a carbed sled allowing oil to get into more places easily. You dont get that with the newer fuel injected sleds, which is why you should use the recommended oil.

If you ever wonder how skidoo uses such little oil. Their skidoo oil is sticky. It also aids in fogging the sled using its own oil for summer storage.
I thought I read skidoos use isoflex grease on lower end bearings too?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The point of my story is you can't bitch about 7k miles out of a newer 800. And for 800 bucks I'm rebuilding the motor all fresh again. Wossener pistons, rebuilt crank an new seals through out. For 800 bucks it'll live for another 7k miles. Wtf

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The point of my story is you can't bitch about 7k miles out of a newer 800. And for 800 bucks I'm rebuilding the motor all fresh again. Wossener pistons, rebuilt crank an new seals through out. For 800 bucks it'll live for another 7k miles. Wtf
I have no idea how you figure you can get a quality rebuild job with that small amount. Im not counting labor rates to assemble either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm doing the labor myself so that cuts costs insanely. It took me 2 hours to remove the motor from the sled and it's the first time I've done it. It's all disassembled on the bench as we speak, came apart without a hitch. 400 bucks for the mcb forged wosseners and full gasket set and then a rebuilt crank that the company gave me 250 bucks off of for mine brought it down to 400. If you think you need to spend a ton of money you're the type the dealer likes. Bottomless wallet boy

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Doing it yourself save alot of money. Crank rebuild is usually 250 plus any parts you may need to replace. Oem pistons are alot of money too. Cylinder replate and hone wouldnt be some more too. But less than youd think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cylinders are in nice shape, pto side has 1 vertical score that I'm not awful worried about. Matter of fact these cylinders are better to run now than when they came out of the factory. Mirror smooth.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts