Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Polaris Switchback 600 Pro S
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all - just wanted to share some pics and what I learned working on the sled over the past few months. I want to thank everybody out there who answers questions and posts to help guys like myself have the confidence to work on their own sleds - thanks! This started out as a track replacement and shock upgrade - it turned into something a bit more involved as you will see. Please ask questions and comment along the way - happy to answer as best I can. Lets start with suspension removal.

Front Suspension Removal:

Pic showing that longer bolt is at top nearest sled and shorter bolt is near the spindle. You can see the pop out just above my index finger - allows the top bolt to be removed.

Rear Shock Removal:
Remove the seat so you have access to the suspension mounting bolt. There is a bolt holding down the gas tank - remove that so that you can gently lift the gas tank - I used a 2x4 to hold it up out of the way. This allows you to unbolt the suspension link under the seat.

Front Track Shock Removal:

Remove the front two bogey wheels to allow access to the cross beam where the FTS is mounted to the rail. Remove bolts to free up this cross member. Unbolt the FTS mounting to the front skid and remove. I also removed the limiter strap at this point because I was going to remove the track as well.

Now all of the shocks are removed and ready to send out for service and upgrade. First pic is the parts removed to get the FTS out.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,855 Posts
I’m curious about the track swap - did you change your mind on that? Because it would have been easier to remove the FTS from the skid on the bench.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I chose to use Hygear Suspension for the service and upgrade. I can't say enough about how great they were to work with. I ordered the shipping box from them with all the packing material and sent it out with all of my stats so they could set me up for my type of riding - aggressive trail mostly at 220 lbs. Dave and his team were terrific.

Install is just the reverse of the removal of suspension parts. I painted the front skid while I had it out - was pretty beat up.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m curious about the track swap - did you change your mind on that? Because it would have been easier to remove the FTS from the skid on the bench.
Thanks for the question - agree with you that would have been the way to go once I dropped the front skid from the chassis. Would recommend that to anybody doing track and suspension swap at the same time! Cheers Brad

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The track removal has been covered in a thread here : Track swap As was well discussed - will need to remove the carrier wheels, front skid needs to be unbolted from tunnel, rear skid needs to be unbolted at pivot point and the 4 bolts going into the rear cooler through the bumper need to be removed to remove the rails. As this picture shows - it would have been simpler to remove the FTS after removal as was suggested by MAG6240.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It really is strange how "paint chipped and blasted" the skid on the baler gets, especially rear arm. I also took off the arms and painted them when I bought my 15 used.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really is strange how "paint chipped and blasted" the skid on the baler gets, especially rear arm. I also took off the arms and painted them when I bought my 15 used.
Agree - it was a mess under there....

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wanted to post a few more pics regarding the removal of the drive shaft to get the track off - hope these are helpful to people. Need to get to the chain case cover - removal of the can, battery, brake caliper and disc.

Bolts that mount the brake caliper are hard to get to - especially the back one but with some patience you can get back there and remove.

Good to take pics to keep track of washers etc - I put things in labeled zip lock bags to help with reassembly.

After disc removed - this is the jackshaft pictured coming through the chain case cover. You can pry the O ring out of the groove - it is pretty tough but I ended up replacing mine on reassembly just to be on the safe side.

Battery case removal:

Once you have a clear view of chain case cover - remove the two screws under the plastic below bottom of cover so that you can spin the cover counterclockwise to remove once you have taken the cover bolts out. Have your oil container below to capture the chain case oil as it runs out when the cover seal separates.

Unbolt the drive shaft end and remove the entire chain and gears as one unit.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Now over to the left side (PTO side) of the sled and removal of the secondary clutch to get to the driveshaft bearing mount. Unbolt the secondary clutch and slide off of the Jackshaft. Picture below is behind the clutch - make note of the spacer washers that slide up to the bearing within the bearing cover.

And the orientation of the spacer and washers on the end of the jackshaft holding the secondary clutch in place.

Wider view - bearing cover for driveshaft is located at 5 O'clock relative to the secondary clutch jackshaft. This needs to removed to allow for the drive shaft to be dropped out and remove the track.

Pull the drive shaft out of the chain case then lower the shaft so the bearing and mounting plate can drop down through the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replaced the chain case cover bearing, the driveshaft bearing and the secondary clutch jackshaft bearing. The chain case bearing can be pressed out or gently knocked out after the seal is removed.

The other two were a bit more challenging - the oil tank and the oil tank mount need to be removed to get the bearing plate off on the PTO side of the sled. Note the orientation of the washer between the torque link and the bearing plate below. The close up with the washer is at the stud located at 9 O'clock in the picture below - the other three bolts have been removed.

Removal of bearing - tough to fit the plate between the bearing and the plastic white deflector in picture below. On reassembly I realized the deflector and been shifted to left and needed to be moved back to correct position so oriented correctly when bearing was pressed back into position so bearing cover would fit properly.

I could not figure out how to pull bearing for the drive shaft with the bearing stud plate still on so I cut it off and replaced...if there is a better method I am happy to hear about it.

New drive shaft bearing installed with new bearing cup stud plate.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I then moved on to the rails which were beat up pretty bad - decided to remove everything and have them sandblasted and powder coated (thanks to Bob and Hunter at Vermont Powder Coating Systems). I replaced the carrier wheel assembly with new parts and replaced all of the bearings in the bogey wheels. Replaced the hyfax with OEM black - cut the back to angle of rail so it doesn't get hit by the track. Front is cut to fit after the tip protection is bolted on to the rail.

Before:

After sandblasting and powder coating

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read a lot about different tracks and finally opted for the Camso Ice Storm 150 track. I liked that it had a bit more lug then the Ripsaw II 1.25 for some off trail fun but was reported to be a really solid trail track. Reinstall was the reverse of removal and went pretty smoothly. Thanks to Kent for his help with his bushings which I utilized - FS: AXYS rear skid mount bushings.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some modifications I did were related to this thread - very helpful information and parts list! Lima Project

RSI kill switch - sometimes bumped mine off at inopportune times:

Arctic Cat magnetic tether switch with polaris connector - plug and play:

Remote battery charger hook up - no panel removal needed.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also went with the GGB Exhaust Quiet Can:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I think that is all for now - I still need to clean the VES, check compression, and install Gabes clutch kit - thanks for the service Jon! Hope this was informative and provided something useful to the forum. Thanks again for all of you and your posts, comments and questions. Cheers, Brad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been following this thread. Wow!!!! You are amazing. The level of detail and the modifications are on point. Thank you for posting and keep us posted on the performance.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been following this thread. Wow!!!! You are amazing. The level of detail and the modifications are on point. Thank you for posting and keep us posted on the performance.
Thanks for the kind words glad you are enjoying the thread!

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
I think you will be happy with the 1.5" Camso ICE Storm. That is what the factory will install on the MY21 650 Switchback Assault 146 that I Snow-checked this April. I was pleased with the 1 5/8" Ice Cobra that I installed on a new MY15 600 Switchback Adventure. You did a fine job on the pictures and on the attached instructions. Especially with the chaincase, it is important to get all the shims, washers and o-rings back in the correct order.

How much wear did you find on the suspension bushings and drivetrain bearings that you replaced?

Thanks for your effort.

Reactions: dskofich
1 - 20 of 43 Posts