Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to tearing down my 800 Indy motor. Has some miles on it and bought used. I bought it primarily for grass drag racing. Little behind on getting it ready. Working on asphalt sled and several races being cancelled, motivation to work on it has been lacking. Anyhow, tore the motor down and found the pto side full of new oil. I am used to working on Doo triples. They occasionally do this from a failed check valve. Is this the same thing? Are these known to do this? Or should I be looking at something else? Any way of finding out which oil injector might be leaking?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
They did have a problem with the oil cap not venting sitting in the summer. The oil tank then can get squeezed because the pressure never becomes equal with the warm summer air. And it can push oil through the pump and into the crank case. It happened to me. I never opened up the engine after so I dont know if it was one side only. I now leave my sled in summer storage with the oil cap off. I also replaced it with the new arctic cat oil cap. Its a rubber duck bill vent. Not the ball that needs to vibrate or be tilted to vent.

I dont know exactly how the oil pump works. As in if its one passage that splits. Or if has muptiple passages. It might be a check valve. If you pull off the oil lines. And take a small turkey baster with a 1/8th inch hose. You should be able to push the oil in with the baster. But not be able to suck the oil out.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,635 Posts
Spot on! I had same problem with a Dragon 800. Thought it was check valve, just the oil cap. Guy stored it in enclosed trailer. Never checked it, tried starting it and tacoed the pto connecting rod!

I fixed the engine and never replaced the check valve. I did vent the oil tank and problem never returned.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Spot on! I had same problem with a Dragon 800. Thought it was check valve, just the oil cap. Guy stored it in enclosed trailer. Never checked it, tried starting it and tacoed the pto connecting rod!

I fixed the engine and never replaced the check valve. I did vent the oil tank and problem never returned.
I havent had it happen either. I didnt replace a check valve. I always slowly and gently pull the recoil rope now since then haha. Mine wasnt that bad though. My pipe was full of oil instead lol

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault
2,635 Posts
I havent had it happen either. I didnt replace a check valve. I always slowly and gently pull the recoil rope now since then haha. Mine wasnt that bad though. My pipe was full of oil instead lol
This guy put in a fresh battery and hit the key! Wham-O! Blessing in disguise really, he just got the motor top end done by a former dealer. Bikeman top end kit with wossners. Bent the rod at 250 miles. I opened it up and pistons had .011 ptw clearance! Thing wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had a 2012 ProR 800 SB, I knew about the vent on them and that it could cause them to not use oil but hadnt heard about it causing the case to fill. This would be an easier issue than dealing with a bad check valve. Guess I need to look at getting a different cap or venting it like I did my ProR.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
My 14 Indy 800 has oil in the case every fall, even with leaving the cap off. All I do is remove the spark plugs, pull it over 20 times then start it and fog the neighborhood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts