Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The Pro RMKs do have a swaybar I believe, but a narrow stance. The Assault has a wide stance, no swaybar, but stiffer springs to help compensate for the lack of swaybar to some degree. It works pretty well as a compromise I think, pretty stable, but you can still roll it over when you want.
That's the thing...a local dealer is pushing me towards the PRO RMK saying I won't like the RMK Assault Track and that for trail riding it's awful...and while I will use my Cat Turbo or SBA 144 1.325 for most trail riding, I will still need to ride to get to off trail...

Then...I want to make sure I have the best sled to "learn" and "further" what I have started with the SBA...and I know Sidehilling and Manueverability are huge assets...so would that be the PRO or the Assault RMK...and can the PRO handle jumps at all or will the shocks just bottom out?

·
Registered
178 Posts
No offense but how many times you going to ask :laff: I have the Switchback Assault same sled as you 2011. If it were me but you are not I would go with the Pro RMK to have the belt drive. The shocks on the Pro are good shocks. I just think the Assault track is a little over the top for the riding we do here in New England.

Here is the other thing I would ask my dealer if he would do a track swap for me at minimal cost. They have done it twice for me on other snow checked sleds but I do not know if they would on the RMKs.

CoolX2 on here has an RMK and he has switched his shocks and goes back and forth with tracks all the time. He could give you some great input about the tracks and the shocks.
Couldn't say it any better bro... He either wants the same old tech or all new RMK. :stirthepot:

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's the thing...a local dealer is pushing me towards the PRO RMK saying I won't like the RMK Assault Track and that for trail riding it's awful...and while I will use my Cat Turbo or SBA 144 1.325 for most trail riding, I will still need to ride to get to off trail...

Then...I want to make sure I have the best sled to "learn" and "further" what I have started with the SBA...and I know Sidehilling and Manueverability are huge assets...so would that be the PRO or the Assault RMK...and can the PRO handle jumps at all or will the shocks just bottom out?
The only thing I don't like about my Assault is that the track seems very hard on hyfax. It is very stiff, and the lugs are thick so they don't stick into the snow or bend to get close to the snow like a 5.1 track does. So without scratchers even on say 1/2" of loose snow it will still smoke the hyfax. Drop the scratchers though and it is fine. I have 1300 miles on mine and it needs new hyfax even though I have been careful and have had several weekends where I was in deep enough snow all the time not to need the scratchers.

Next season I am going to try Hiperfax, and possibly Slidekicks so that I can run a fourth set of idler wheels in the middle. You can't put the fourth set on the Assault with the stock scratchers due to the reservoir being in the way of putting them on the inside, and when the scratchers are hung up they sit on the rail where the wheels go. This is where most of the wear occurs as there is quite a distance between the front idlers and the set back by the rear scissor.

Other than that the track works fine, and having track screws is nice for running lakes and rivers for me.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my Assault is that the track seems very hard on hyfax. It is very stiff, and the lugs are thick so they don't stick into the snow or bend to get close to the snow like a 5.1 track does. So without scratchers even on say 1/2" of loose snow it will still smoke the hyfax. Drop the scratchers though and it is fine. I have 1300 miles on mine and it needs new hyfax even though I have been careful and have had several weekends where I was in deep enough snow all the time not to need the scratchers.

Next season I am going to try Hiperfax, and possibly Slidekicks so that I can run a fourth set of idler wheels in the middle. You can't put the fourth set on the Assault with the stock scratchers due to the reservoir being in the way of putting them on the inside, and when the scratchers are hung up they sit on the rail where the wheels go. This is where most of the wear occurs as there is quite a distance between the front idlers and the set back by the rear scissor.

Other than that the track works fine, and having track screws is nice for running lakes and rivers for me.
I think if I were to have ONE sled it would be an Assault...and probably the SBA 144 like I have...but...where this other one would not be my primary...I guess I really need to know the differences between the PRO and the ASSAULT in RMK trim....w/my biggest concern being the NON Assault Pro being able to take a beating like the Assaults can.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I wish I could help but I haven't ridden a regular Pro RMK. My understanding is the Pro is better at boondocking due to the lighter weight, the track, and the approach angle of the skid. The skid is in a lower position on the Assault due to the longer travel in the front. The front of the Assault sits higher than a Pro. This changes the approach angle of the track slightly and makes the Assault more wheelie prone whereas the Pro will keep the front end down on a climb so it's a bit easier to handle and perhaps climbs better. That being said you can move the Assault skid to the other hole if you want to. I think that on flat ground it might be a little weird where the Assault front is higher.

The way the Assault is stock is better for banging moguls. For me it has been fine, all in your priorities. IMO the Assault is a better choice as a "hybrid" sled for the east. I'm not sure what the Pro suspension is like, but I can tell you this sled is just about the stiffest suspended sled I have ever owned and for me that is a good thing. I can smash drifts on lakes and jump over holes in the trail pretty well. For me I look to things like Cain's Quest...those guys ride Freerides and HCR's mostly. The Assault is the Polaris equivalent. Unfortunately almost nobody rides Polaris in that race but there is one team this year and it says they are riding SBA's.

I would have picked the SBA with a 2" but I didn't like the running boards, and I do appreciate the extra floatation of the 155" from time to time.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Couldn't say it any better bro... He either wants the same old tech or all new RMK. :stirthepot:
Ya....I'm the only one on this board pulling their hair out over which new 2013 to get. :whistle:

I'm not looking at STEEP hill climbs or tons of side hilling. More running logging shoots and line cuts through the woods on moderate inclines. I'm going to some early Spring shows to see the sleds and ask Polaris why the older drive is on the Assault. Hoping I get an honest answer out of them. I'm still leaning to the Pro with my wider skis (C&A MTX's 8") for stability.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ya....I'm the only one on this board pulling their hair out over which new 2013 to get. :whistle:

I'm not looking at STEEP hill climbs or tons of side hilling. More running logging shoots and line cuts through the woods on moderate inclines. I'm going to some early Spring shows to see the sleds and ask Polaris why the older drive is on the Assault. Hoping I get an honest answer out of them. I'm still leaning to the Pro with my wider skis (C&A MTX's 8") for stability.
They can't put it on everything yet, it's still all new for Poo, the RMK's for sure will always get this new lite wt tech. Then when the mountain riders get the kinks out of it the first few seasons, it then gets to us flatlanders. Your not the only one having a tough time deciding what to snow check bro, I too am on the fence trying to decided. But after we get to touch them and get a closer look at the new iron at our sneak pk shows, it will be easy-er decision for many. 800 Pro RMK 155 or 800 Switchback Assault 144 :snack:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey, by the time you're done, no matter what you buy or where, you're looking at $13k with cover, oil, insurance....apology/bribe dinner for your wife...new tee shirt HA! It's a big decision... I'm down to the fact that I don't see the ADVANTAGE to owning a 2013 155 Assault over the Pro other than stability and gear changing for a competitive hill climber. Which I certainly am not.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts