Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put a new track on my f800. Currently has 3800 miles on it and im starting to lose studs and have lots of cord showing. I was debating going from a 1.25 to a larger lug? I mostly ride groomed trails so not sure if its worth going up? I was also debating on going to a ice ripper version? I feel that putting studs in just reduces the life of the track? Any suggestions are appreciated. 15x128x1.25 2.52 pitch is what is on it now.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Lots of happy riders on ice ripper tracks. Unless you think you need more traction I’d stay with the 1.25 lug you have. Thicker the lug the more issues you will have with slider wear and cooling when it’s really hard and frozen. Ive actually gone to a 1 inch lug on my Turbo with double backers and a single in each window and it hooks great for trail riding.

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
What he said. Big tracks are popular....but the truth is that for trail riding there is no need for them. Even for occasional off trail, as long as your not out in the mountains or something, IMO, a 1.25/1.35 is all you need. I like studs, but lots of guys here like those ice rippers. Depends on how much stud traction you want. If you were spinning your studded track, causing it to loose studs at this point in its life, that means and you would Really destroy an ice ripper track.

·
Premium Member
Chrysler LeBaron
2,428 Posts
Won't be easy but if you can find a 1.7 from a 2008-2011 sno pro grab it. Best track I've ever used.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't be easy but if you can find a 1.7 from a 2008-2011 sno pro grab it. Best track I've ever used.
Are you running studs with that 1.7? Who makes the 1.7? I came across a pn for a 1.5 ripsaw

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are you running studs with that 1.7? Who makes the 1.7? I came across a pn for a 1.5 ripsaw
Don't do the 1.5 ripsaw, it's no better on trail than a 1.25 ripsaw and it trenches off trail. Just my opinion, but that's what I have and I'm not impressed by it

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I agree 1.25 is the best all around lug length unless your playing off trail lots. I agree with Stronger the prestudded tracks are safer than no studs but not up to par with real studs. I got 12000 Kim’s out of a Cobra 1.25 studded 3 per bar on my Z1 turbo and only replaced it because it was showing stress lines at the lugs but studs were good. I honestly don’t think a prestudded track is going to last much longer. Don’t forget if you go Camoplast you need the adapter for the idler wheels or they will hit. I went with a true Cat track a bit more money but exact replacement. That’s my 2 cents.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need an adapter for the idler wheels? I dont understand? You mean the four up front where the front shock is? Now im worried. There are 10 total wheels on this thing. What can the wheels possibly hit?

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
Boom, on a 2012, I think the wheels are set far enough away from the rails to clear the larger cogs on a aftermarket track, right?
On the 2007-2011 F’s they weren’t. I could be mistaken though, I use AC badged ones myself same as you

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pdieni, a tracks usa if that's where you were shopping
I ended up with a 15x128x1.22 2.52 pitch ice attak xt. So it sounds like there were issues on the older f series not this 2012. I looked allover and that was the first I heard about idler issues. I ended up getting the track for $595 usd which I am happy about. I am just sick of bending studs and idler wheels getting beat up and the constant worry of throwing a stud in a heat x. I ride groomed trails 99% of the time. Drive shaft is bent so that was another 300.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Yep I guess you are correct. I thought all 2.52 pitch aftermarket tracks had that figment issue, my bad. I’m sure you will like the prestudded track just remember you might find it not quite so good at stoping or slowing down as studded track. They are definitely much better than no studs at all.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I am not expecting it to be like my ripsaw with 153, but I had to take out 5 studs because I noticed the single studs were starting to pull through. I am careful with it but the track is getting beat. I have a lot of cord showing in spots and I think it was just time for a new one. The sled has almost 4k on it. I really just didnt want to spend a lot more on studs and going through all the work again. I hit a large rock coming off the lake and bent 5 studs and bent driveshaft so decided to just put in a track while I am at it. Thanks for the help guys!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts