Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been on and off these forums for quite sometime and always find great info on here regarding everything I need to know. Decided to sign up and share with you guys what happened to my sled. My all stock 2011 renegade 1200 blew up. Approx 3000 miles, was riding trail when this happened. Nothing quite dramatic happened, just a pop then the motor lost all power. Oil everywhere. I started tearing it down today but am still looking for a motor to swap. I've owned this since new and have never had a problem with it, I change oil every 1k miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic and oem filter. I attached some pics. There seems to be oil everywhere but I can't see the actual damage til I pull it out.

On a side note, the turbo motor from C3 powersports ultimate sled is on ebay for 7k. Might go that route if I can't find a motor for decent price.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
How do you know the motor is blown? Have you done a compression test or was there something else like a major oil leak or antifreeze all over? There have been a few sleds with a keeper in the valve letting go and then they lose power on that cylinder. Very rare for these things to stop. With a "pop" it may have been a plenum or intake leak which is also rare but something we are seeing occasionally.

Need more info please.

Another suggestion is to post your question over on Doo Talk as there are quite a few guys over there with tons of experience with the 1200.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sucks.

I hope it's an easy fix.

I see your chain tension bolt is backed out. Might that be gear oil everywhere?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been on and off these forums for quite sometime and always find great info on here regarding everything I need to know. Decided to sign up and share with you guys what happened to my sled. My all stock 2011 renegade 1200 blew up. Approx 3000 miles, was riding trail when this happened. Nothing quite dramatic happened, just a pop then the motor lost all power. Oil everywhere. I started tearing it down today but am still looking for a motor to swap. I've owned this since new and have never had a problem with it, I change oil every 1k miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic and oem filter. I attached some pics. There seems to be oil everywhere but I can't see the actual damage til I pull it out.

On a side note, the turbo motor from C3 powersports ultimate sled is on ebay for 7k. Might go that route if I can't find a motor for decent price.
Pic # five looks like a short track XR gsx,IDK?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
2 words.... Ski Doo :lol:
:rolleyes:
Your in the wrong forum guy... save it for the general snowmobile forum.

At the top of the page it says
"...not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature..."

Anyways... that's odd, I've only heard good things about the reliability of the 1200. Let us know what you find...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Strange, I've never seen Gades with the GSX handlebars and seat. The oil in pics 1 and 6 looks like it's been there awhile, since it has lots of dirt stuck in it. Did it have a leak or a line come loose and ran out of oil?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey guys,

Wow, I ride with guys with that motor,......they are pretty much bulletproof.........fluke??

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Season.

I'm wondering why the oil had been changed every 1000 miles. Isn't that a little excessive?
I change mine every season in the four stroke and all my summer toys to no matter how many miles we go. This year will be around 1600 miles on the wife's . Seems like a waste but they gather a lot of moisture sitting for 8 months so I don't chance it. Maybe he doesn't get out much.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, whats blown up about it? Did you do a compression test? Don't see any major oil leaks in your pics, just some residue. So whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Funny another guy just posted in the 1200 forum on dootalk saying he lost the motor on his sled, no other details... I hope he finds it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts